PDA

View Full Version : Standing Up Against Bullying & Making Friends - My Little Story

Plane And Simple
March 12th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Here's a little story of encouragement I'd like to share. Please, PLEASE read the whole thing. To put you on situation, I cycle everyday. My neighborhood would be similar to your typical US suburbs., but only 6 streets, not that big. In it, we're not that much people, and teens my age there are little to none. There are some younger kids aged 10-14 though, which I do sometimes see hanging out on their bikes with their brothers.
As you know, I cycle everyday. My house is somewhat in the middle of the neighborhood, so I've got to make my way down the street to the exit to be on my way.
Getting to the story, Saturday last week, 2:15PM. Running late to cycle. I took my bike out and went down the street. As i get to the exit, There's two kids, who looked like 14, on their scooters. You know, this (http://www.ololand.com/image/data/productos/Blazer_Pro_Ambush/BlazerProAmbush_quarter_1024.jpg) things. I pass them by, nod as we do here to say hi, and I notice they were speaking at me. Didn't hear them because i had headphones on, plus wind while going 20mph. Brake really quickly and turn around to see what they wanted; In the end they might have needed some water, or a phone, so I'm always up to help. They say hi, and the typical phrase comes up: "Hey, Pop a wheelie!", says one of them while he smiles. "I wish I knew how", I reply. They asked where i was headed and I explained I cycle everyday, go to the nearby village and just have a little ride. The other kid then replies: "Hey, yeah I've seen you before", you've got your GoPro on your helmet sometimes; I say yeah that's me. To which we end up exchanging addresses by pointing to our houses up the street. "I live light there, that white house, see?" He says. "Oh Yeah, and I'm just near the end of the street. Where that White car is". "Heading home now?" I ask. They nod. We'll let you be they say. I say goodbye, turn back around and keep going.
Fast forward to that afternoon. I got out for cycling again just because i had some free time. Hit road again, and a bit further down from this morning, there's around 5 guys, two of them being the guys from this morning, together with some angry looking troublesome girls that are just leaving. Was about to say hi and ride by, when they call me. I turn around, say hello, They ask what's up, same old - I say - you?. "Well we found these girls that were just about to punch us. We said hey, what's up, and they just got upset and started picking on us". Can't quite recall what the two said, but then one of the other guys, who apparently didn't know the other two, starts yelling "And you said i'm your friend, started speaking like you've known me forever when I don't know you at all!" The new guys somewhat left, and they told me what happened again and how close they were to getting hit by those girls. When I was about to leave towards the village again, he asked me how much time it took me. 10 minutes return, I said. No way, he replies. Wait for you here, give you ten minutes. Challenge accepted and off I go. Get there, come back, and I see them standing there. As i was approaching they tell me one of those other new guys punched them because of what happened earlier, and one of the guys had to punch him back for him to stop and get out. Nothing fancy, they didn't hit hard or anything. I asked where they went, and we three went to look for them. Found the kid that said "I'm not your friend" before and Got off my bike, asked what's up, said if I got to see him punching someone again, specially two kids younger than him, he'd have to try and punch me see what happened. I never have done this before, but that seemed to come out quite intimidating, as he even apologized and left.
I went to one of their houses with them and we exchanged names. Gave them a couple tips to avoid getting kicked by these dumb people, to which they replied with a thank you, and a handshake. Pretty awesome for the kids in this area, I was impressed. It's hard today to see teens being friendly with "strangers".
Fast forward to Tuesday, saw one of them again. Waved and said hi like he's known me for a while.

What I want to say with all this mess, Is act friendly, because it pays back. Put a smile on your face everyday and you'll make someone's day a lot better. Help out and they'll help you out, try to make someone smile, as that's the best addition to someone's day. Normally, It's me who goes around trying to brightens people's days, but that day i was the target, and I've got to say it feels amazing to finally see someone who cares in this world, and at that age, that's pretty amazing. Kudos to their parents and themselves.
Also, make sure you stand up for those bullied kids whenever you can. When you do, even though this was not the case as it wasn't full on bullying, just a little dispute, you become the target's trusted person. If you get to be friends with said person and get to see him or her grow out of bullying, with or without your help, it's one of the best feelings ever.

Take care out there guys, Life's too short to be grumpy. Raise your head from the smartphones, smile, chat with strangers, even if it's about how bright the day is. Make sure to look happy and friendly, because you'll, as I've said a thousand times, make someone's day, and it's the little moments that count.

Peace

KeeganW
April 26th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Liked your story and good advice dude

Dying Ember
May 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM
Great message, thanks for sharing :)

Microcosm
May 11th, 2015, 01:24 AM
I wish so much to be like this. However, I'm not very good with threatening people like that and standing up to them when they do stuff like that. I might say something like rationally threatening but not like physically threatening. Like I'll make a point to them as to why what they are doing is wrong.

I'm also not that good with socializing and such but I might get better. Anyways, this was a great thing you did and should definitely be recognized. Good job. :)

seamo34
May 13th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Here's a little story of encouragement I'd like to share. Please, PLEASE read the whole thing. To put you on situation, I cycle everyday. My neighborhood would be similar to your typical US suburbs., but only 6 streets, not that big. In it, we're not that much people, and teens my age there are little to none. There are some younger kids aged 10-14 though, which I do sometimes see hanging out on their bikes with their brothers.
As you know, I cycle everyday. My house is somewhat in the middle of the neighborhood, so I've got to make my way down the street to the exit to be on my way.
Getting to the story, Saturday last week, 2:15PM. Running late to cycle. I took my bike out and went down the street. As i get to the exit, There's two kids, who looked like 14, on their scooters. You know, this (http://www.ololand.com/image/data/productos/Blazer_Pro_Ambush/BlazerProAmbush_quarter_1024.jpg) things. I pass them by, nod as we do here to say hi, and I notice they were speaking at me. Didn't hear them because i had headphones on, plus wind while going 20mph. Brake really quickly and turn around to see what they wanted; In the end they might have needed some water, or a phone, so I'm always up to help. They say hi, and the typical phrase comes up: "Hey, Pop a wheelie!", says one of them while he smiles. "I wish I knew how", I reply. They asked where i was headed and I explained I cycle everyday, go to the nearby village and just have a little ride. The other kid then replies: "Hey, yeah I've seen you before", you've got your GoPro on your helmet sometimes; I say yeah that's me. To which we end up exchanging addresses by pointing to our houses up the street. "I live light there, that white house, see?" He says. "Oh Yeah, and I'm just near the end of the street. Where that White car is". "Heading home now?" I ask. They nod. We'll let you be they say. I say goodbye, turn back around and keep going.
Fast forward to that afternoon. I got out for cycling again just because i had some free time. Hit road again, and a bit further down from this morning, there's around 5 guys, two of them being the guys from this morning, together with some angry looking troublesome girls that are just leaving. Was about to say hi and ride by, when they call me. I turn around, say hello, They ask what's up, same old - I say - you?. "Well we found these girls that were just about to punch us. We said hey, what's up, and they just got upset and started picking on us". Can't quite recall what the two said, but then one of the other guys, who apparently didn't know the other two, starts yelling "And you said i'm your friend, started speaking like you've known me forever when I don't know you at all!" The new guys somewhat left, and they told me what happened again and how close they were to getting hit by those girls. When I was about to leave towards the village again, he asked me how much time it took me. 10 minutes return, I said. No way, he replies. Wait for you here, give you ten minutes. Challenge accepted and off I go. Get there, come back, and I see them standing there. As i was approaching they tell me one of those other new guys punched them because of what happened earlier, and one of the guys had to punch him back for him to stop and get out. Nothing fancy, they didn't hit hard or anything. I asked where they went, and we three went to look for them. Found the kid that said "I'm not your friend" before and Got off my bike, asked what's up, said if I got to see him punching someone again, specially two kids younger than him, he'd have to try and punch me see what happened. I never have done this before, but that seemed to come out quite intimidating, as he even apologized and left.
I went to one of their houses with them and we exchanged names. Gave them a couple tips to avoid getting kicked by these dumb people, to which they replied with a thank you, and a handshake. Pretty awesome for the kids in this area, I was impressed. It's hard today to see teens being friendly with "strangers".
Fast forward to Tuesday, saw one of them again. Waved and said hi like he's known me for a while.

What I want to say with all this mess, Is act friendly, because it pays back. Put a smile on your face everyday and you'll make someone's day a lot better. Help out and they'll help you out, try to make someone smile, as that's the best addition to someone's day. Normally, It's me who goes around trying to brightens people's days, but that day i was the target, and I've got to say it feels amazing to finally see someone who cares in this world, and at that age, that's pretty amazing. Kudos to their parents and themselves.
Also, make sure you stand up for those bullied kids whenever you can. When you do, even though this was not the case as it wasn't full on bullying, just a little dispute, you become the target's trusted person. If you get to be friends with said person and get to see him or her grow out of bullying, with or without your help, it's one of the best feelings ever.

Take care out there guys, Life's too short to be grumpy. Raise your head from the smartphones, smile, chat with strangers, even if it's about how bright the day is. Make sure to look happy and friendly, because you'll, as I've said a thousand times, make someone's day, and it's the little moments that count.

Peace

lovely story my respect goes out to u :P