PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Automobiles

Uranus
March 8th, 2015, 07:49 PM
What's your opinion on them?
We currently own a GMC Yukon Hybrid 09' and it's really nice. It does automatically switch between V8, V6, And V4 depending on the grade climb, speed, RPM levels, ECT. And in AutoStop which is where it runs literally on only the battery at speeds of 20-(maybe)23 MPH, and under. As long as you don't use to many RPMs and have a flat area.

chrisawesome
March 8th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Unless it makes the car faster then hybrids are pretty much lame. Those "Eco friendly" Prius sure have a toxic battery.

And for a few reason I don't understand the point of a $40,000 hybrid when you could get the same for $25,000 and still spend $15,000 in gas for the next 5 years. How did you save on gas again?

JamesSuperBoy
March 8th, 2015, 10:38 PM
What's your opinion on them?
We currently own a GMC Yukon Hybrid 09' and it's really nice. It does automatically switch between V8, V6, And V4 depending on the grade climb, speed, RPM levels, ECT. And in AutoStop which is where it runs literally on only the battery at speeds of 20-(maybe)23 MPH, and under. As long as you don't use to many RPMs and have a flat area.

I think hybrids and all electric are good ideas now and the tech will get better.

Its so much like having say part solar power and energy recovery tech in houses and buildings anything which reduces reliance on fossil fuels is good as well as less pollution.

Cognizant
March 9th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Unless it makes the car faster then hybrids are pretty much lame. Those "Eco friendly" Prius sure have a toxic battery.

And for a few reason I don't understand the point of a $40,000 hybrid when you could get the same for $25,000 and still spend $15,000 in gas for the next 5 years. How did you save on gas again?

While I would agree if you were to compare a Prius to something like say, Merc CLK, there's a few things I would like to point out:
- You can easily get a new hybrid car for less than or around $20,000USD and still have 2015 Creature Comforts such as power everything and bluetooth calling/audio. While something with that pricetag won't have leather seats or superb dash materials, I don't think most buyers in the market for a car like that really care. If you want an expensive luxury hybrid, I think you're buying one for the wrong reason.

- The MPG makes a difference, especially when it costs $50-55 (and possibly rising) to go 340 Miles in my naturally aspirated 2.4L Camry. Idk if you pay for your own gas and/or drive a lot, but I do both and it sucks. I would've kept my Nissan Leaf if it had a lot better range.

-If you live/commute in an area with horrible rush hour traffic (like I do), it's possible to not use any fuel to power the vehicle - meaning less emissions and more gas conservation. So while they do haul around big nasty batteries, they can be recycled and repurposed.

-If you drive a Prius like it's a sporty car, you're going to get shit MPG. But if you drive economically, don't accelerate like you're running from the cops, and coast to stops, you're gonna save hella money on gas.

Imo, hybrids are good for the type of commuters/city trippers who want decent comforts with exceptional gas mileage - they don't care if it takes 9 seconds to go from 0-60 or if it has a mean growl. As long as it looks good, they'll buy it. Hybrids are not for the extremists. If you want something sporty, don't buy the Hybrid Camry -- get the SE. If you just commute in the city and don't want to spend a cent on gas, get an Electric Car and just rent a fancy one when you need to go on a roadtrip.

thatcountrykid
March 18th, 2015, 10:31 PM
nah i like my truck and the loud noises. BRING BACK THE V12'S

Canadian Dream
March 27th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Honestly I would even get electric if the cars had better range, mostly in terms of fuel but also because I care about the environnement. I'm currently sticking to a Prius, which uses twice less fuel than the Pontiac I had before that, so I find it extremely useful.

CosmicNoodle
March 31st, 2015, 07:16 PM
Me looking out at the automotive world:

"Day 487, pretentious hybrid owners are closing in, StarBucks, electric motor wines and hipster moustaces haunt my dreams, I haven't seen another V8 owner on over 36 weeks, I fear I don't have much time left, tell my Chevy LS6 I love her"

matt_tgr
April 16th, 2015, 08:00 PM
nah i like my truck and the loud noises. BRING BACK THE V12'S

Umm it's not gone, bud :D

Uranus
April 16th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Umm it's not gone, bud :D

Aftermarket? :D

matt_tgr
April 17th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Aftermarket? :D

Umm no? I can think of two cars immediately that have V12s

Mil1dreded
April 18th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Nah not a fan they just don't seem very cool or fun to me

jay_
April 26th, 2015, 01:04 AM
I have a diesel and I love it, excellent MPG but no batteries to worry about!