PDA

View Full Version : Baby neglect

Beth
March 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Yesterday I was asked to babysit for a friend of my aunt's 13 month old baby boy which I agreed since I have experience babysitting for my little brother with help from my mother. At first he was a happy baby then started to get fussy and cry. When I removed his diaper I was shocked and hurt of what I seen. I'm so sorry if this is to graphic but the only way I can explain my pain for him. He had diaper rash so bad his bottom and genitals was so red and swollen and sore. I know from changing my brother a baby's testicles are to be the size of a grape or smaller for his age his was the size of a walnut. Again sorry if to graphic. I applied diaper rash cream and did the best I can. My question is this neglect and if so who can I tell? I told mom but she couldn't believe it. I'm so hurt and crying inside and don't know what to do.

CharlieHorse
March 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM
maybe it's an infection or a rash or something?

SethfromMI
March 8th, 2015, 08:20 PM
it is possible it could be a reaction to something. I mean, I guess if you think it is abuse and your mother wont do anything you could always report it to Child Protective Services

Deleted User
March 9th, 2015, 01:01 PM
You don't necessarily know that it's neglect. Babies are prone to things like diaper rash and a lot more susceptible to skin reactions and possible allergies. And remember, these things do take time to get better. The parents could very well be aware of the problem and treating it but these things don't go away overnight. I wouldn't go off calling CPS because of a diaper rash, even if it's worse than the typical reaction.

Say if you babysat again in a month and it wasn't gone, then yeah, maybe there's an issue but again, you don't know for certain. What you should have done was told the parents you were concerned and odds are they would say that they already knew about it. It's their kid, it's kinda hard to miss. I used to get crazy rashes as a kid due to sensitive skin and they took awhile to go away.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this unless it's something you continuously see every time you babysit for them, should you keep doing so.

Beth
March 9th, 2015, 04:54 PM
You don't necessarily know that it's neglect. Babies are prone to things like diaper rash and a lot more susceptible to skin reactions and possible allergies. And remember, these things do take time to get better. The parents could very well be aware of the problem and treating it but these things don't go away overnight. I wouldn't go off calling CPS because of a diaper rash, even if it's worse than the typical reaction.

Say if you babysat again in a month and it wasn't gone, then yeah, maybe there's an issue but again, you don't know for certain. What you should have done was told the parents you were concerned and odds are they would say that they already knew about it. It's their kid, it's kinda hard to miss. I used to get crazy rashes as a kid due to sensitive skin and they took awhile to go away.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this unless it's something you continuously see every time you babysit for them, should you keep doing so.
I'm sure your right after thinking about it. I'm sure I will be babysitting for him in the future and see if the redness and swelling subsides. I'm glad I didn't make harsh mistakes. Thanks for your help.

tasminsmith
March 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM
wait until next time see if it goes away if it continues I would report it

ChaosEarthquake
March 17th, 2015, 04:44 PM
This could actually be a rash / infection of some sort.
But it possibly could be abuse / neglect.
Perhaps you should talk to someone just to make sure?

Beth
March 22nd, 2015, 07:30 PM
Just a little update. I babysat him again last night and it does seem that the swelling and redness has gotten better somewhat but not all completely. I have talked with the mother about the the swelling and redness, and she explained that she is seeing a Dr. for his diaper rash. I also talk to my aunt of what I thought and now I'm the bad person.

Axel_
March 31st, 2015, 04:14 AM
Just a little update. I babysat him again last night and it does seem that the swelling and redness has gotten better somewhat but not all completely. I have talked with the mother about the the swelling and redness, and she explained that she is seeing a Dr. for his diaper rash. I also talk to my aunt of what I thought and now I'm the bad person.

You aren't a bad person. I think it was good you were concerned for the baby. What you were doing was right and at least the baby's rash is getting better so we know it isn't neglect.

Beth
May 16th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I still have been babysitting him and nothing has not changed at all. I talked to my mother she doesn't believed me, I have talked with my aunt she think I'm lying, and the mother of the baby says that she took him to see the Dr. I don't want to be the bad person and call cys but I hate seeing him hurting. Every time I babysit him I apply creams and ointments to his gentile area and bottom to try and heal it. I've even left him Go without a diaper and watching and making sure that he doesn't have a accident thinking of letting the air get to it. I'm about to refuse babysitting him anymore but the money is nice and I love and enjoy watching him. My heart is aching and don't know what to do.

The Byrd
May 29th, 2015, 05:43 PM
If I was you I'd just ask whoever's baby it is and make them aware (if not already) of it. Make sure you make it clear to them that if they already haven't they need to see a doctor about it.

Microcosm
June 4th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Beth,

I know it feels like you're the bad guy here, but you're doing them and this baby a huge favor. I mean, it could be a serious problem and they're not actually attending to it. I read some of your update posts and they could be lying and actually neglecting. Of course, you shouldn't go accusing them of that, but it doesn't sound like that's what you did at all. It sounds like you brought it up in the nicest way possible and they're treating you like the bad guy for it.

I think you should keep babysitting and just do it for the baby. You said you enjoy doing it so that's probably what's best, in my opinion. Your last update to this thread was a while ago, but if you still need help, then those are my thoughts.

Hey_123
June 10th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Report it to your local police station.

Or your local district attorney's office.

Posts merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" or "Multi" button. ~Elysium

Beth
June 13th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Beth,

I know it feels like you're the bad guy here, but you're doing them and this baby a huge favor. I mean, it could be a serious problem and they're not actually attending to it. I read some of your update posts and they could be lying and actually neglecting. Of course, you shouldn't go accusing them of that, but it doesn't sound like that's what you did at all. It sounds like you brought it up in the nicest way possible and they're treating you like the bad guy for it.

I think you should keep babysitting and just do it for the baby. You said you enjoy doing it so that's probably what's best, in my opinion. Your last update to this thread was a while ago, but if you still need help, then those are my thoughts.
I have shared my thoughts with the mother and had a talk. She had showed me some papers showing that she had taken the baby to the doctors on several occasions and is being treated. She thanked me for caring and asked me to continue babysitting for him. I apologized to her for my thoughts. I now feel so much better after seeing the proof and knowing the baby is being treated. I have noticed a big difference in the swelling but the redness still remains. It will take a long time I'm sure , but it couldn't go fast enough for me. And thanks for your reply.

Beth
June 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Report it to your local police station.

Or your local district attorney's office.

This is no longer necessary as I'm glad I didn't take action.

Legs
June 14th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Just a little update. I babysat him again last night and it does seem that the swelling and redness has gotten better somewhat but not all completely. I have talked with the mother about the the swelling and redness, and she explained that she is seeing a Dr. for his diaper rash. I also talk to my aunt of what I thought and now I'm the bad person.I wouldn't say you are the bad person. How would you know when you first look at that. People should always keep in mind all the possibilities when looking at something like that. I am really glad you talked with the Mom of this baby and she explained it and said the baby was under a Doctors care. I hope the baby fully recovers from this soon.

Kirina
June 19th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I have shared my thoughts with the mother and had a talk. She had showed me some papers showing that she had taken the baby to the doctors on several occasions and is being treated. She thanked me for caring and asked me to continue babysitting for him. I apologized to her for my thoughts. I now feel so much better after seeing the proof and knowing the baby is being treated. I have noticed a big difference in the swelling but the redness still remains. It will take a long time I'm sure , but it couldn't go fast enough for me. And thanks for your reply.

Honestly. Since their child had a problem with it, they should have informed you. Like there's all these different instructions, things to know about each individual child. Do they have allergies? etc. This is definitely something they should have informed you about.

ellie2000
July 3rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
Honestly. Since their child had a problem with it, they should have informed you. Like there's all these different instructions, things to know about each individual child. Do they have allergies? etc. This is definitely something they should have informed you about.

You would have thought that the parent would have noticed this beforehand and acted on it. I'm glad you persevered Beth.