PDA

View Full Version : Whats an alcoholic?

Lottie
February 24th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I know this may seem like a really stupid question, but I just wanted to know when does someone become an alcoholic?

Where is the line between liking to drink and drinking often and being an alcoholic?

Does anybody know?

Horatio Nelson
February 24th, 2015, 11:04 AM
When it gets to the point where you *need* to drink. You drink all the time, everyday. It controls your life. It's not a good place to be.

JamesSuperBoy
February 24th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I know this may seem like a really stupid question, but I just wanted to know when does someone become an alcoholic?

Where is the line between liking to drink and drinking often and being an alcoholic?

Does anybody know?

Alcoholism is characterized by:

a prolonged period of frequent, heavy alcohol use.

the inability to control drinking once it has begun.

physical dependence manifested by withdrawal symptoms when the individual stops using alcohol.

tolerance, or the need to use more and more alcohol to achieve the same effects.

a variety of social and/or legal problems arising from alcohol use.

I guess the defining aspect is the prolonged and frequent basically when someone just need alcohol more than anything else.

this link gives more detail

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/alcoholism

I dont think someone has to be defined as alcoholic for them to have a problem with alcohol maybe binge drinking.

Lottie
February 24th, 2015, 11:17 AM
thanx guys.

My social worker today told me that my mum is alcoholic, but i dont think it can be true. I know she likes to drink but i dont think she has a problem. When i saw her last week she seemed fine, but why would he lie?

Vermilion
February 24th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Alcoholics are really good at hiding there problem from people. When they drink it's how your normal see then but if they haven't had a drink you can really tell, most the time they shake a lot. You said why would your social worker lie ?. Ask yourself this could your mum make it though a day without a drink ? If not I would say it's a problem and that he wasn't lieing.

WengMan3397
February 24th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Honestly, seeing my dad go through stuff I don't think it's real. You drink because you love it, you drink because you love it and make terrible choices or you don't drink or you drink responsibly. That simple.

Uranus
February 24th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Well it depends on each individual.

Usually, an alcoholic drinks daily. And gets drunk very often, and not just on the weekends.
Now if someone drinks maybe a single drink daily, much like a glass of wine or something for dinner, then that's not alcoholic.

Really an alcoholic is someone who gets drunk very often, even on weekdays

Zerep2016
April 1st, 2015, 05:34 AM
If you can not control yourself, then you are an alcoholic
Thats simple

ParadiseFalls
April 1st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Someone that over does something, in this case alcohol. Usually they have a compulsive disorder. They can't stop doing what they are doing to themselves even if they wanted to.

It's like someone who over eats candy on a daily bases and ignores the health risk involved (diabetes), or someone who is obsessed about fitness and overly works out to the point of damaging their bodies. These are just some examples of compulsive disorders.

Doing activities or substances are fine if in good moderation.

Axel_
April 5th, 2015, 01:45 PM
When somebody drinks large amounts of alcohol and cannot stop.

Wafflenado
April 6th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Well I've had a lot of alcoholics in my family, including my dad. He would drink almost constantly every single day, but he's sober now, but every day is a constant struggle of not drinking. Alcoholism is drinking alcohol to the point where you can't function (in your mind) without it

SethfromMI
April 6th, 2015, 06:25 PM
I would argue an alcoholic is one who abuses alcohol to the point their life is no longer functioning as it should be (to some extent) and they are too attached to the drink to give it up themselves even if they know it is for the better

Human
April 7th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Drinking for no reason and probably hiding it from people

fairmaiden
April 8th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Someone who abuses alcohol. An alcoholic ''needs'' to drink alot.

Sugilite
April 11th, 2015, 08:26 AM
<----- An alcoholic.

Tifany
April 13th, 2015, 12:48 AM
When your drinking goes out of control , you become an alcoholic and that's a really bad thing.

Andyyy95
May 4th, 2015, 08:05 AM

Does anybody know?

Liking to drink is basically you controlling the drink.
Drinking often is when you're feeling the need to drink, but you've still slight control of the drink.
Being an alcoholic is when the drink's controlling you... Avoid at all costs.

Lost in the Echo
May 4th, 2015, 08:34 AM
It's pretty much just like any other habit, but to a much more extreme extent, because alcohol is a chemical your body can literally become physically dependant on. It can get to the point where you get the shakes, can't sleep, things like that. An alcoholic always has booze on their mind when sober, and it can get to the point where you lose interest in everything else in life, hobbies, etc because you're so worried about when you can catch your next buzz. And that's the only thing you're thinking about.

You really can't relate to or understand this unless you've actually experienced addiction.
I know all of this from experience unfortunately.

Once you begin drinking, you don't really intend to, or expect to become an alcoholic.
If you are going to drink, just try to avoid binge drinking. Don't do it everyday. Save it for special occasions, the weekend, recreational circumstances.
Avoid drinking during the week. Keep your mind focused on work/school/etc during the week.

phuckphace
May 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM
alcoholism is a form of self-medication i.e. escapism

it rarely if ever results from recreational overindulgence, despite what a lot of people seem to think. it's not "I had one too many beers at a party and now I buy up half the liquor store just to last me through the week." there's usually always some underlying emotional/psychological issue that the alcoholic drinks to escape from, to the point where they're unable to cope with life while sober, which reinforces the addiction.

recreational drinkers, in comparison, aren't usually coping with anything and thus it's easy to put down the bottle and go back to work.

Let Me Be a Pony
May 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Alcohol is used to escape the world, or to... expand it.
It's funny how a majority of poets are alcoholics.
Oh.. and if famous poets are not alcoholics then they're drug users. Irony is strong here.
Your emotionality is increased when you're drinking, increasing your creativity also in this. It works somehow. I've tried it, wrote some pretty long stories with unimaginable plot twists. Gave it to some friends to read it, they asked me if I used drugs while writing this. No, bro. I only used alcohol.
But I ain't a writer so no point in realizing my stories, broski. One day in another universe they'll be airing on the big screen.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q640/hdfgerdsfgdsv/10460588_352755038236964_5842956077345867592_o_zpsvqfaskaq.jpg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/hdfgerdsfgdsv/media/10460588_352755038236964_5842956077345867592_o_zpsvqfaskaq.jpg.html)
Not an alcoholic, yes.
Drug user, without a doubt. The smile says it all.

hannaszabo
May 13th, 2015, 11:20 AM
When your body effectively needs alcohol to work properly, then you are definitely an alcoholic.