PDA

View Full Version : farm animal cruelty

tasminsmith
February 21st, 2015, 07:43 PM
I've been considering becoming vegan for a while, mostly because of the animals involved in the production of meat, do you think farming animals like this is morally wrong? watch this video btw as a warning it get quite bad in some parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7TCmJUD7g

JamesSuperBoy
February 21st, 2015, 08:32 PM
I making a choice is great. As the world struggles all over with food production veggie would solve a lot of problems - from water shortage and land use. Vegan I think is more difficult by done sensibly with a proper diet and nutrition it works well for many.

It is a good point you raise.

Beth
February 22nd, 2015, 11:34 AM
My god I'm lost for words. I couldn't watch it all I teared up and cried. As of right now I have no comments as I'm totally lost for words.

ImCoolBeans
February 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
Farm animal cruelty is very real. Most meat that you purchase in (at least) the U.S. comes from massive meat farms where the animals die where they stand, live in their own feces, and are corralled inside with thousands of other animals, with barely enough room to move an inch. It's pretty disgusting to think that we treat the animals we eat this way, not only for health reasons, but for the animal as well.

amgb
February 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
Okay, okay, that's enough. I didn't watch it all either. I seriously cannot bear to watch the horrible mistreatments that these poor animals are going through. I also seriously cannot believe these types of things are still happening to farm animals. Being on a farm already sets them on a path towards living their entire life in confinement (big or small) and most of the time if not all of the time, death. So farmers, treat them humanely while they still have the freedom to move around and access to food and water. Please.

I've also been considering becoming vegetarian, but lately no food interests me. And I'm just saddened to watch that video.

Microcosm
February 22nd, 2015, 01:02 PM
I think, if you really feel passionately about this, you should try to make a change. Like you could form a group against animal cruelty and really make a difference. I think it's great that you're thinking about becoming a vegan, though.

phuckphace
February 23rd, 2015, 02:28 AM
the conditions in factory farms are pretty repugnant. the goose farms where they force-feed geese for foie gras especially.

too bad it's all too big to fail.

IceCore
February 23rd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Look, it's one thing to care about animals, and another to stop eating meat. Meat is important to the human organism, whatever the "scientists" say. I mean, its the same people that used to say smoking was good for humans when cigarettes were first produced. Theres a reason we've been eating meat for over 10.000 years, ok? And even if you choose to stop eating meat, at least go Vegeterian, not Vegan. I know people that have health problems beacause theyre vegans, and some still refuse to change their diet. Its just sad...

phuckphace
February 23rd, 2015, 10:58 AM
Look, it's one thing to care about animals, and another to stop eating meat. Meat is important to the human organism, whatever the "scientists" say. I mean, its the same people that used to say smoking was good for humans when cigarettes were first produced. Theres a reason we've been eating meat for over 10.000 years, ok? And even if you choose to stop eating meat, at least go Vegeterian, not Vegan. I know people that have health problems beacause theyre vegans, and some still refuse to change their diet. Its just sad...

I think veganism often stands in as a placeholder for religion for people in certain circles who want the label, rituals and moral satisfaction but don't want the coolness penalty that comes with embracing an actual religion. it's big on Tumblr and every vegan I've ever met was a hysterically angry anti-theist, so...

I'm deeply disturbed by animal cruelty as well, but when they start getting into "animals are the Jews and humans are the Nazis" territory it becomes yet another loony SJW cult to roll my eyes at

dirtyboxer55
February 23rd, 2015, 07:49 PM
who gives a shit its not like its a pet or anything

most vegans i know have deficiencies in protein or iron. most vegetarians dont eat a lot of cholesterol either

SethfromMI
February 23rd, 2015, 09:12 PM
it is not right to treat animals like that, but I am not giving up meat. not all companies do that to their animals either

Country Cowboy
February 23rd, 2015, 10:01 PM
I get my meat from my ranch. I think that what people do to mass produce meat is very cruel but I also think that meat is necessary. I think that going organic would be a better alternative that going vegetarian because organic farmers treat the animals with respect.

phuckphace
February 24th, 2015, 12:44 AM
I get my meat from my ranch. I think that what people do to mass produce meat is very cruel but I also think that meat is necessary. I think that going organic would be a better alternative that going vegetarian because organic farmers treat the animals with respect.

I completely agree. it wasn't that long ago that all food was "organic" and food allergies were a lot less common.

I've seen those free-range chicken farms which are pretty neat. the chickens hang out wherever the fuck they want during the day and then at night get to go home and roost in their own private "apartments." they lay really nice brown eggs with thick shells and big golden yolks too...the shitty white ones from the factory farms are fragile and bland.

JamesSuperBoy
February 24th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I completely agree. it wasn't that long ago that all food was "organic" and food allergies were a lot less common.

I've seen those free-range chicken farms which are pretty neat. the chickens hang out wherever the fuck they want during the day and then at night get to go home and roost in their own private "apartments." they lay really nice brown eggs with thick shells and big golden yolks too...the shitty white ones from the factory farms are fragile and bland.

There is always a bigger picture and we know factory farming is heavliy reliant of the use of veterinary drugs which can pass on to humans. Its more a question of how we can change as well as feeding a growing population and a price they want to pay. The large chains of supermarkets will dictate price to producers.

IceCore
February 27th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Well, now you're just being a massive dick.
I mean even if for some reason beyond my understanding you think it's ok to give them this treatment because they're not "fuzzy kittens" or "cute puppies", saying "who gives a shit" is just mean. I mean, I'm not offended, but some people in this thread (hell, probably most of them!) are bound to be sensitive around that subject.

dirtyboxer55
February 27th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Well, now you're just being a massive dick.
I mean even if for some reason beyond my understanding you think it's ok to give them this treatment because they're not "fuzzy kittens" or "cute puppies", saying "who gives a shit" is just mean. I mean, I'm not offended, but some people in this thread (hell, probably most of them!) are bound to be sensitive around that subject.

Im sorry :)

IceCore
March 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Im sorry :)
Forgiven. Here, have some cake. :)

Uranus
March 1st, 2015, 05:43 PM

Whoa whoa what the fuck?!
Who gives a shit if it's not a pet. You do realize that is animal abuse? At least, (unsure whether you do or not giving the intelligence of your post), I'd assume you would realize it's abuse. It's straight up abuse. What is wrong with you?

dirtyboxer55
March 1st, 2015, 11:53 PM
Whoa whoa what the fuck?!
Who gives a shit if it's not a pet. You do realize that is animal abuse? At least, (unsure whether you do or not giving the intelligence of your post), I'd assume you would realize it's abuse. It's straight up abuse. What is wrong with you?

that meat sure tastes good though :D

Uranus
March 2nd, 2015, 12:12 AM
that meat sure tastes good though :D

What has happened to people these days?

dirtyboxer55
March 2nd, 2015, 09:05 PM
What has happened to people these days?

a personal question, now that youve seen the cruelty do you plan to take any actions against it?

ManyPearTree
March 2nd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Partially the reason why I became a vegetarian.

Uranus
March 2nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
a personal question, now that youve seen the cruelty do you plan to take any actions against it?

Honestly I see no reason to answer your question because you obviously don't care

dirtyboxer55
March 2nd, 2015, 09:58 PM
Honestly I see no reason to answer your question because you obviously don't care

well thats an evasion if ive ever seen one.

Seahawks15
March 9th, 2015, 01:57 AM
I really don't know what to think.I like eating meat but when I think about how the poor animals are treated and they could've had a good home,I wanna spit it out and cry.Just look at my username lol.

NewZealand
March 9th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I've been considering becoming vegan for a while, mostly because of the animals involved in the production of meat, do you think farming animals like this is morally wrong? watch this video btw as a warning it get quite bad in some parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7TCmJUD7g

One reason why I love living in new zealand, knowing that none of the meat comes from proper farms. Batter farming is illigal here, as I think it should be everywhere in the world!

Bull
March 9th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Nothing better for dinner than a big, juicy steak! We raise cattle for consumption. We are responsible ranchers and our cattle are well treated and we are concerned with the conditions under which they exist once they leave our ownership by being careful of the buyers. To condemn all meat producers because of some poor treatment is as unfair as condemning all men because some are rapists. Meat provides protein that the body needs in order to be healthy. God has given man dominance over animals. I am committed to responsible and proper care of the animals in my charge. Eat more beef!

Seahawks15
March 9th, 2015, 08:56 AM
You also have to think how this could go against religious beliefs and values.Some may be offended by eating meat.I personally know some people who would.

Bull
March 9th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I totally respect individual religious persuasion. If eating meat goes against their religious teaching, then by all means they should not be eating meat.

JamesSuperBoy
March 9th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Nothing better for dinner than a big, juicy steak! We raise cattle for consumption. We are responsible ranchers and our cattle are well treated and we are concerned with the conditions under which they exist once they leave our ownership by being careful of the buyers. To condemn all meat producers because of some poor treatment is as unfair as condemning all men because some are rapists. Meat provides protein that the body needs in order to be healthy. God has given man dominance over animals. I am committed to responsible and proper care of the animals in my charge. Eat more beef!

That is good point that many farmers are doing things well and properly.

thatcountrykid
March 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Look up a woman named Temple Grandin she is an amazingly brilliant woman and is a proffesor at Colorado state university. She has revolutionized the beef industry by making it more comfortable for the animal and for better quality meat. There's actually a movie about her and McDonalds even hired her to better the ranches they get their meat from.

The most amazing part? She's autistic.

marrisa
March 14th, 2015, 11:09 PM
It's not good how these animals are treated.But there are a lot of little critters killed in harvesting plants, wheat etc..by machines, and blades.But I wish you the best in your choice.

Kate
March 30th, 2015, 11:49 PM
I did research on factory farming a while ago for a speech and the reality is really as horrendous as that video. I just took out a little excerpt and put it down below. Also note that factory farmed meat makes up about 99% of the meat so most of the meat you eat will come from animals that have suffered these conditions.

"These animals are kept in uncomfortably small and filthy living environments. They live in cages, pens, or floors and have hardly any space, if not no space at all, to move. Hundreds to thousands of animals are crammed inside a warehouse because the more meat that factory farms can sell, the more money they will get. These warehouses arenít kept clean and so waste piles up, creating unclean air full of ammonia and dust that the animals breathe in. Animals are fed antibiotics and growth hormones, forced to survive in these otherwise deadly conditions and to grow at unnatural rates. Female livestock are repeatedly impregnated from a young age up until their death. Animals are forced to endure surgical mutilations, such as the removal of beaks, testicles, and horns, without any pain relief. Many animals from factory farms also endure abuse from factory workers. Some of the cruel acts include beating, throwing, kicking, and dragging animals for the amusement of workers. Animals kept in factory farms suffer from both emotional and physical pain."

DragonInferno100
April 24th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Have people noticed that we hear about animall cruelty but yet don't think about what we eat.