PDA

View Full Version : drag racing and the V8 engine

The Lone Assassin
February 16th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Now, the V8 engine is a good engine in my opinion. But let's get technical.

In drag racing. The V8 engine is a very common choice. I have heard of V10 and V12 engines being used as well as V6 engines being used. But here's my theory about why the V8 is a popular choice.

It appears the other engines have issues with the large amount of power involved with drag racing. I'm talking 5000hp sort of range. I seem to have found this. The V6 engine is intact too small. To elaborate that, we shall turn to the fact that many drag V6 engines are very prone to exploding because if the high RPM. Considering that they're not racing spec engines.

Which brings me onto the point of the V10 and V12 engines. I have found that these engines are simply too big. I.e. there are too many moving parts to produce over 2500hp.

Now don't give me the BS of 4000hp GTR's and 3000hp Lamborghini Aventadors (sorry If can't spell) because its all BS. You may here these things but in reality. They're just super weight reduced to look like they have high horsepower. Its all lies. I know it is. I've sat in a 5000hp Chevrolet Nova SS reving at 12000RPM. Can a GTR do that? Not without blowing up...

Please give me your thought on these theory's. If you are a JDM guy, a ricer or a European supercar guy. Don't comment unless you have something decent to say...

matt_tgr
February 16th, 2015, 07:27 PM
You may here these things but in reality. They're just super weight reduced to look like they have high horsepower. Its all lies. I know it is. I've sat in a 5000hp Chevrolet Nova SS reving at 12000RPM. Can a GTR do that? Not without blowing up...

Ok now the forst stement that you made here makes literally no sense. If you reduce cars' weight, they still have the same power going to the wheels.
Chevy Nova revving up to 12k? Definitely not a stock motor.

Kacey
February 16th, 2015, 07:56 PM
5K HP at 12K RPM? Sounds like a small jet engine. Simple fact is, V8s have a very good power to weight ratio, at the cost of fuel efficiency. The Aventador, or any other car along those lines, is built to go fast over a period of time.

"Considering that they're not racing spec engines." You clearly didn't do research when writing this... V6s are just as good as V8s, but the car has to be a bit smaller.

"3000hp Lamborghini Aventadors." That's an understatement. They produce much more than 3K. Somewhere around 5-6K sounds right for them.

"It appears the other engines have issues with the large amount of power involved with drag racing." There is no large amount of power required. Having the power helps, but isn't a needed thing.

"They're just super weight reduced to look like they have high horsepower." Untrue as well. The power doesn't change with weight. If I put a 4K HP big block in a smart car, I don't suddenly have 10K HP. I still have 4K. The acceleration and top speed change, but not the power.

Straya
February 21st, 2015, 11:30 PM
iv seen plenty of 4-6 cylinder cars pull 5-6 second quarter miles. its not the amount of cylinders you have but how much you strengthen the internals of the engine. i have a car with a 6 cyl in it that is bigger than some v8s and is a stronger block and i can go and buy of the shelf kits to easily get 2000 rwkw out of it. its not engine size mate its how much money you can pour into it. people use v8 cause there cheap and easy to get numbers out of no other reason. a v10-v12 is alot more expensive to buy than a v8 so people dont buy them for drag racing and you need to spend more money on a 4-6 to get the power out of them than an 8. you might of sat in a drag racing car but myself and my family actually own drag racing cars