PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety vs Introvert

etfboy
February 16th, 2015, 09:46 AM
What is the difference? educate me please

Elysium
February 16th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Social anxiety is an actual disorder that anyone can be afflicted with. It can also be treated. Here (http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-social-anxiety-disorder) is a link to more information. Introversion is just a part of someone's personality and introverts tend to prefer solitude over being with other people. It's defined by Google as, "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life."

phuckphace
February 16th, 2015, 12:21 PM
^^^

most of the introverts I know don't suffer from any sort of social anxiety, it's usually just shyness. tbh it's very easy to tell the difference when you meet people of both types. social anxiety can be and usually is very crippling, whereas shyness doesn't usually cause any problems. at least that's my experience.

etfboy
February 20th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Yeah thanks.Ive been wondering to myself if i really have social anxiety or just an introvert.Cause i am really scared of meeting new people.Example in class its the first day i get panic attacks and dont really talk much but then few weeks past i get comfortable with my classmates now i am normal.Now what is that?

Thunderstorm
February 20th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Yeah thanks.Ive been wondering to myself if i really have social anxiety or just an introvert.Cause i am really scared of meeting new people.Example in class its the first day i get panic attacks and dont really talk much but then few weeks past i get comfortable with my classmates now i am normal.Now what is that?

Well, panic attacks are part of an anxiety disorder. As Elysium said, those can be treated. If you end up becoming outgoing, it's probably just a social anxiety disorder that developed over time from a lack of proper social skills, not an introverted personality which would make you permanently shy and reserved and can not change.