PDA

View Full Version : Naturally aspirated or forced induction?

matt_tgr
February 13th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Pretty self explanatory, this one. My host dad and I started arguing what sort of engine is better. He says superchargers give that extra umpf in cars, he's a big fan of supercharged engines.
I, on the other hand, just love naturally aspirated engines. The sound of most of them is blimmin' awesome!
So yeah, naturally aspirated or forced induction? If forced, which forced induction type do you prefer the most?

Straya
February 14th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Pretty self explanatory, this one. My host dad and I started arguing what sort of engine is better. He says superchargers give that extra umpf in cars, he's a big fan of supercharged engines.
I, on the other hand, just love naturally aspirated engines. The sound of most of them is blimmin' awesome!
So yeah, naturally aspirated or forced induction? If forced, which forced induction type do you prefer the most?

forced induction all the way cant beat the sound of a turbo winding up. its just like foreplay before the action starts and as you can probably guess i like turbochargers

Plane And Simple
February 14th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Forced induction. Much better fuel economy and performance compared to its naturally as pirated equivalent, forgetting about the sound as that's personal preference.

Cognizant
February 15th, 2015, 12:37 AM
Turbos seem really cool, but idk how much extra maintenance cost that would add to the car should it break. I'm not a mechanic though so it might only be like $70 or $3000 for all I know. Either way I would want the cheaper one, from an owners perspective

Meh Guy
February 16th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Forced induction. Much better fuel economy and performance compared to its naturally as pirated equivalent, forgetting about the sound as that's personal preference.

I'd have to agree with this for sure. And remember, it's all about fuel economy these days :P

coolkid016
February 16th, 2015, 05:21 PM
my brother has an 09 jaguar xf.. black and a 4.2 n/a v8 engine pushing 300 horses.. now, it does not have a supercharger or whatever, but it doesnt need one because it sounds hella good, it accelerates like a bat out of hell, and it drives and rides like a beauty.. so, id have to go with a n/a just because of bias.

The Lone Assassin
February 16th, 2015, 05:33 PM
The problem with N/A engines is that you need a large amount of power for it to have a good acceleration standard. Take NASCAR for instance. They have Naturally aspirated 800hp V8 engines. They can accelerate fairly quickly but no where near as quickly as a turbocharged or Supercharged V8 engine of the same power. To be honest its a matter of preference... But you get my point.

mrmee
February 24th, 2015, 06:15 PM
If Ya have a big enough engine, why supercharge it? I personally would rather a deep rumble than the whistle humming of a supercharger, but what do you expect from a truck guy?

Straya
February 27th, 2015, 02:50 AM
i gotta comment again cause forced induction is the way to go. i have an australian built 4L straight 6 engine thats turbo charged outta the factory and so far its cost me 1/20th of the cost of a lambo and i have a faster acceleration and higher top speed than one and all i had to change outta the factory was put bigger fuel injectors and fuel pump in, retune the computer to remove restrictions and put a bigger intercooler in and now it goes from 0-100ks in 3.9s and has a top speed of 320kh/s+