PDA

View Full Version : My mom is selling my truck!!!!!!

mrmee
February 9th, 2015, 10:05 PM
My baby.... My 1977 chevy c20 3/4 ton pickup 350ci with four barrel quadra-jet, Holley long tubes, true dual flowmasters, and 35's that I've taken care of and worked on since I was 7 is getting sold incredibly cheap because my mom wants my grades up. She is in amazing condition too! Not a spot of rust, only 86k miles on the body, and 20k on the engine rebuild. I think I'm gonna go curl up in a ball and die.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

SethfromMI
February 9th, 2015, 10:07 PM
well stop her. drive away in it. don't let her sell it

Uranus
February 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Dude, it's your car. Don't let your mom do that. "Lose" the keys. Do whatever you can to stop her. And if she does sell it, make sure it's at least a decent amount of money

Typhlosion
February 9th, 2015, 10:10 PM
She *might* be bluffing. If you show some more attitude towards your grades she probably wouldn't finalize any deal.

Might. Probably.

SethfromMI
February 9th, 2015, 10:11 PM
She *might* be bluffing. If you show some more attitude towards your grades she probably wouldn't finalize any deal.

Might. Probably.

a good point. it would be a very strong punishment and it is good incentive to do better

Uranus
February 9th, 2015, 10:15 PM

Might. Probably.

Well that is true. A similar situation happened to me before and I just remembered thanks to Alex.

A good tactic ~
Do your chores without having to be asked. To chore like things that aren't your responsibility. Help your mom and dad with things without being asked and such. When your mom agrees to let you keep the truck,

Play "All I Do Is Win" loudly

riverboy
February 9th, 2015, 10:16 PM
That would be really mean to sell your truck since you have had it so long and love it so. I hope it's a bluff but you should get better grades if possible just in case it isn't.

Professional Russian
February 10th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I'd be flipping the fuck out. That's just wrong. You don't fuck with a mans truck. Its just not right.

Plane And Simple
February 10th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Most of the replies of this thread left me speechless. First off, tell her to hold on and make her realize your grades have improved (read: not WILL improve). If you already told her they would get better, and they didn't, you'll have to face the consequences. But don't cry and just work hard for it, let her see you can do it, and prove it.

Professional Russian
February 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Most of the replies of this thread left me speechless. First off, tell her to hold on and make her realize your grades have improved (read: not WILL improve). If you already told her they would get better, and they didn't, you'll have to face the consequences. But don't cry and just work hard for it, let her see you can do it, and prove it.

*not to be taken as argueing with a mod*
Do you understand the bond between a man a truck/car/anything he built? You get attached to it. It's like a part of you. Its just a truck. Its a part of your family. A part of you.

Uranus
February 10th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Do you understand the bond between a man a truck/car/anything he built? You get attached to it. It's like a part of you. Its just a truck. Its a part of your family. A part of you.

I agree. It's like the government saying to a mother that they are going to take her children away for not getting them an educational ECT. It's just something you don't do to a man. A mans car means everything to him.

Plane And Simple
February 10th, 2015, 02:33 PM

I know. I've felt that. Still, her roof, her rules, and that's something you can't quite argue with. I'd be upset. Very upset, but I just go by the rule that says complaining gets you nowhere, only your acts do. What would I do? Work hard, tell her to look at my grades again, and I'd have my car and she'd have her good grades, right?

No need to note the arguing thingy, if all posts like yours were taken as offensive you would all be picked at by us, it's all god :P

SethfromMI
February 10th, 2015, 02:36 PM
it is the mans truck though. yes he should be doing better in school, but that's a little cruel to be willing to sell it for good

Plane And Simple
February 10th, 2015, 02:39 PM
it is the mans truck though. yes he should be doing better in school, but that's a little cruel to be willing to sell it for good

I know, and I fully agree. It may be just a false threat if it's the first time he's been warned, but yeah you're kinda right.

SethfromMI
February 10th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I know, and I fully agree. It may be just a false threat if it's the first time he's been warned, but yeah you're kinda right.

my first thought was a false threat. but not knowing the mother who knows. I definitely agree where you were going though. whether she means it or not, the op can always be trying harder in school

Deleted User
February 10th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Are you guys kidding me? It's a truck. Maybe if the OP had spent as much time on his grades as he has on the truck, his mum wouldn't feel the need to sell it. (The idea that taking away someone's vehicle is equivalent to taking away someone's living child is absolutely freaking absurd.)

OP, if you want to keep the truck, you're gonna need to make some changes. If you've said in the past that your grades are going to get better and they haven't, then your mum has no reason to believe you're actually trying. If you are and it's still not enough, put less money into the truck and invest in a tutor to help you or other academic counselling options.

If you can work out a deal with your mum, the truck will always be there. Your education won't. And if you're not willing to do any of that then yeah, she can go ahead and sell it. It's her house, her rules, and ultimately her truck because you're a minor. It's not fair but that's life.

Cognizant
February 10th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Are you guys kidding me? It's a truck. Maybe if the OP had spent as much time on his grades as he has on the truck, his mum wouldn't feel the need to sell it. (The idea that taking away someone's vehicle is equivalent to taking away someone's living child is absolutely freaking absurd.)

OP, if you want to keep the truck, you're gonna need to make some changes. If you've said in the past that your grades are going to get better and they haven't, then your mum has no reason to believe you're actually trying. If you are and it's still not enough, put less money into the truck and invest in a tutor to help you or other academic counselling options.

If you can work out a deal with your mum, the truck will always be there. Your education won't. And if you're not willing to do any of that then yeah, she can go ahead and sell it. It's her house, her rules, and ultimately her truck because you're a minor. It's not fair but that's life.

I understand that cars can be sentimental to people. I would be furious if my dad sold my Camry (unless he was replacing it with a brand new one :P); however, I agree with Jo.

Unless the car is under your name (which I doubt it is), your mom can do whatever she wants with it. Sounds unfair, but that's life for you - when you're older and you're not able to make payments for your house for whatever reason, your bank won't care. They won't listen to your sob story. They'll foreclose that shit and you'll have to move. I would get working on making a deal with her. School is tough but perhaps you guys can reach an agreement on something reasonable.

Plane And Simple
February 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM
my first thought was a false threat. but not knowing the mother who knows. I definitely agree where you were going though. whether she means it or not, the op can always be trying harder in school

Exactly.

mrmee
February 10th, 2015, 05:09 PM
I paid for it myself with money I earned from a job, it wasn't even at her house, she has keys, and it's in my name. Because I'm still a minor, she can still sell it though. And she moved it to her driveway where it now sits with a for sale sign in the window. It used to sit there, and people would stop by almost every other week to ask if it was for sale because it's that unique. And she's selling it for $2000 I think, even though she knows I spent four times that on just aftermarket parts. Plus she's keeping the money. The only reason my grades are bad is because my English teacher royally hates me for something I didnt even do, so she mad a 300 point project and have me a 0. The worst part is she said it's too late to even negotiate keeping it at this point.

Typhlosion
February 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
The worst part is she said it's too late to even negotiate keeping it at this point.

If it isn't sold, it's still not too late

mrmee
February 11th, 2015, 08:23 PM
If it isn't sold, it's still not too late

When my mom says somthing, she follows through 99.99% of the time, no matter how irrational it really is

SethfromMI
February 11th, 2015, 08:59 PM
then drive off in it , flee for the border

raempu
February 11th, 2015, 09:04 PM
stop your mom or try to talk to her. she can't just sell it... are you sure she is really going to?

Straya
February 12th, 2015, 06:42 AM
I paid for it myself with money I earned from a job, it wasn't even at her house, she has keys, and it's in my name. Because I'm still a minor, she can still sell it though. And she moved it to her driveway where it now sits with a for sale sign in the window. It used to sit there, and people would stop by almost every other week to ask if it was for sale because it's that unique. And she's selling it for $2000 I think, even though she knows I spent four times that on just aftermarket parts. Plus she's keeping the money. The only reason my grades are bad is because my English teacher royally hates me for something I didnt even do, so she mad a 300 point project and have me a 0. The worst part is she said it's too late to even negotiate keeping it at this point.

do you still have keys get someone who can drive to go pick up the car and move it somewhere she cant get at it and im pretty sure even though your a minor if you still paid for it and its in your name she cant legaly sell it because it is technically your property and you could take her to court over it and win and get back every dolar you spent on the car and i would be telling her that too so she knows this is serious. dont just roll over and accept it. if my mum tried that stunt on any of my cars she knows id be selling her property to make the money back

Uranus
February 12th, 2015, 03:23 PM
then drive off in it , flee for the border

Lol

----------
OP, have a friend who has 2k extra cash or something. (OBO) and have them buy it and hide it on their property and they watch your truck for you and you can get it back quick

SethfromMI
February 12th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Lol

----------
OP, have a friend who has 2k extra cash or something. (OBO) and have them buy it and hide it on their property and they watch your truck for you and you can get it back quick

that's actually a very smart idea

Uranus
February 12th, 2015, 07:00 PM
that's actually a very smart idea

I'm very smart with evil and smart ass-like ideas :P

As for the Op, if you have a friend who's willing to lay down 2K, (OBO) this is a great idea to keep your truck.

CanadianJake
February 12th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I don't know much about laws regarding this sort of thing but technically if it's in your name, I doubt she can legally sell it since it's in your name plus you need to have something to allow her to sell it. If her name was on the ownership then she has legal authority over the car and can sell it since it's in her name but since the ownership is in your name she can't do that. Either way she could be in trouble for doing that even though your a minor and it's her house her rules sort of thing but technically speaking it's your property not hers.

mrmee
February 23rd, 2015, 09:18 PM
I do love the idea of just taking off with it, but what about the rest of my life I have here? I have a farm with the foundation of a house in putting on it, a truly amazing girlfriend that is irriplacable, and I know everyone here. Plus, then I'd never get any of my records that I need, like birth certificate and social security card. I thought about it for a long time though.
And I'm 15, and I need to be 16 for a drivers license.

Next idea: she can't sell it because I bought it? Nope, she can. Because I'm a minor, and she's my legal guardian, my stuff is her stuff. Plus she's half attorney and knows enough people that she could probably get it done anyway. That'd be a really sick move, but look where I am now.

Last idea: have someone I trust buy it and take care of it for the next 2 and a half years. Thought about that too, but everyone i knowl either doesn't have the money, or would just keep it for themselves because it's a steal at that price.

The only reasons it hasn't been sold yet is because she's an accountant in the middle of tax season, so she gets home too late at night to realize I took the for sale sign down last week, and because the roads are closed to anyone without 4wd because of the snow right now.

Keep comin with the ideas though. There's gotta be some way to keep it..

SethfromMI
February 23rd, 2015, 09:31 PM
well have you tried improving your grades since you made this thread?

mrmee
February 23rd, 2015, 09:35 PM
Yup. I even explained to some of the teachers about my situation so they gave mad extra credit for some really advanced work. But my English teacher says she doesn't believe in extra credit, so I'm still stuck. But all my other grades have gone up at least 10 points each, pushing several above 100%.

SethfromMI
February 23rd, 2015, 09:37 PM
well you can't blame your English teacher. what does your mom say about your improved grades?

mrmee
February 23rd, 2015, 10:25 PM
You had your chance. And I can blame my English teacher because she game me a 0 out of 300 on a project that I had done flawlessly, even had checked over by the validictorian of my grade. Just because she doesn't like me.

SethfromMI
February 23rd, 2015, 10:26 PM
You had your chance. And I can blame my English teacher because she game me a 0 out of 300 on a project that I had done flawlessly, even had checked over by the validictorian of my grade. Just because she doesn't like me.

well did you report her to the school board?

mrmee
February 23rd, 2015, 10:42 PM
My mom is on the school board. I was simply told once again "you had your chance"

Straya
February 27th, 2015, 07:39 AM
My mom is on the school board. I was simply told once again "you had your chance"

why dont you move the car to your dads house then or anougher family members

mrmee
February 28th, 2015, 07:48 AM
why dont you move the car to your dads house then or anougher family members

Because she still has a set of keys So she could just go get it again

SethfromMI
February 28th, 2015, 09:42 AM
well if your mom is truly on the school board then legally she should not be allowed to rule on your case because she would have a bias to your situation

Straya
February 28th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Because she still has a set of keys So she could just go get it again

move the truck and put a new igntion barrel in then her set of keys becomes useless

Jackrabbit7
February 28th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Man that really sucks. Id say take parts out of the truck, take the radiator out when shes not home, take the freakn tires off and put it on blocks... take the mirrors off. She cant sell the car if it doesn't work and you have all the pieces. Figure out the rest latter, wait until your not a minor/ graduate. And if shes REALLY set on selling it you should at least offer to sell the car yourself. If you bought it with your money and worked on it you should be able to sell it and keep the cash.

Straya
March 1st, 2015, 05:52 AM
or put the car in your dads name she cant sell it then if he has ownership

mrmee
March 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM
well if your mom is truly on the school board then legally she should not be allowed to rule on your case because she would have a bias to your situation

Either way, a change in my grades isn't going to change her mind.

move the truck and put a new igntion barrel in then her set of keys becomes useless

It's a 1977. It can be started with a screwdriver, wire cutters, and electrical tape. And me and my dad aren't exactly on the best of terms either.

Man that really sucks. Id say take parts out of the truck, take the radiator out when shes not home, take the freakn tires off and put it on blocks... take the mirrors off. She cant sell the car if it doesn't work and you have all the pieces. Figure out the rest latter, wait until your not a minor/ graduate. And if shes REALLY set on selling it you should at least offer to sell the car yourself. If you bought it with your money and worked on it you should be able to sell it and keep the cash.

And I would do that, except she would probably get it made into a 2x2x2 worthless block of steel.

OSUBuckEyes
March 1st, 2015, 11:39 PM
My baby.... My 1977 chevy c20 3/4 ton pickup 350ci with four barrel quadra-jet, Holley long tubes, true dual flowmasters, and 35's that I've taken care of and worked on since I was 7 is getting sold incredibly cheap because my mom wants my grades up. She is in amazing condition too! Not a spot of rust, only 86k miles on the body, and 20k on the engine rebuild. I think I'm gonna go curl up in a ball and die.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

sounds like it might not be your truck after all LOL

that does suck though. I love to go camping!

SethfromMI
March 2nd, 2015, 09:54 PM
well it sounds like there is not too much you can do then

thatcountrykid
March 18th, 2015, 10:33 PM
if they paid for it its really theres though it is kinda screwed up and you are still a minor

Typhlosion
March 23rd, 2015, 08:10 PM
Hey... I didn't read through all the new posts, but it doesn't seem that the car was sold yet. Your mother is really just doing some good pressure because, if a whole month passed and the car is that nice, something more would have happened.

Either way, a change in my grades isn't going to change her mind.

But that's what she's asking for, and probably that's what will solve the problem.

SethfromMI
March 23rd, 2015, 09:57 PM
has it been sold yet? we haven't heard anything about this for awhile

Mil1dreded
March 25th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Hey I haven't read all the posts but did it get sold ? From what I read you spent your own money on it and upgraded it yourself I wouldn't let them take it away if I were you it has emotional investment and all this over grades it's stupid I'd drive off or maybe keep the truck in a alternate location mind you my parents would never put me in that position so I don't know what yours would do

lambo420
March 26th, 2015, 02:07 AM
I'm dying to know now like the last few people! It's like waiting for a new season of a show! Lol hope he got to keep the truck!

CosmicNoodle
March 31st, 2015, 07:17 PM
If it's in your name she can't sell it, if it's not in your name, it's not your car, maybe if you tried harder in school maybe she wouldn't be selling it.

SethfromMI
April 7th, 2015, 09:26 PM
mrmee what ended up happening?

mrmee
April 7th, 2015, 09:38 PM
She got distracted by her work (she's a CPA in the heat of tax season so she's been working 16 hour days every day for the past month) and my uncle and step dad have been helping me hide every sign of people being interested in it because they would hate to see it go too. So now we are here in the final two weeks of tax season so she'll have a lot more time around the house soon. She hasn't said anything about it in the past few weeks either and she does have lymes disease, so maybe she's forgotten. I'm still waiting for the final episode too lambo420

SethfromMI
April 7th, 2015, 09:41 PM
She got distracted by her work (she's a CPA in the heat of tax season so she's been working 16 hour days every day for the past month) and my uncle and step dad have been helping me hide every sign of people being interested in it because they would hate to see it go too. So now we are here in the final two weeks of tax season so she'll have a lot more time around the house soon. She hasn't said anything about it in the past few weeks either and she does have lymes disease, so maybe she's forgotten. I'm still waiting for the final episode too lambo420

well sorry to hear she ha lymes disease, that can be very serious can't it? at any rate, hope it works out for you. hopefully you been doing better to help convince her as well

mrmee
April 7th, 2015, 09:45 PM
well sorry to hear she ha lymes disease, that can be very serious can't it? at any rate, hope it works out for you. hopefully you been doing better to help convince her as well

She got it from a tick when she was little so all it does is give her a bad memory now. I got my grades up now, but I haven't gotten anything else back like video games ect so who knows

SethfromMI
April 7th, 2015, 09:47 PM
She got it from a tick when she was little so all it does is give her a bad memory now. I got my grades up now, but I haven't gotten anything else back like video games ect so who knows

bummer, I was hoping that would convince her

badpig316
April 8th, 2015, 10:49 AM
well stop her. drive away in it. don't let her sell it

Haha first response best response.

(Have you driven away yet to a far away place were the trucks run free and they gas is cheep?)

Scott10111
April 8th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Give a friend money to buy it then take the truck and money back.

mrmee
April 9th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Give a friend money to buy it then take the truck and money back.

Not only have I tried finding someone to do that, but I have no money left because the truck is a gas hog with a lot of new expensive parts...

Sasha M
May 15th, 2015, 07:51 PM
No offence, but truck sounds like a pile of crap. Grades up, job, good truck.

Gay Paul
August 8th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Not only have I tried finding someone to do that, but I have no money left because the truck is a gas hog with a lot of new expensive parts...

I know it maybe sound crazy :-)

I am a Pole, recently I read a funny story, it was in the press release, somewhere in the countryside, the kid had quarreled with his mother, the punishment for wanting to sell his scooter, which he earned his own work, and was registered in his name.

In Polish law, however, remains the legal guardian of a minor disposal of assets until it reaches the 18 years, ie until the age of majority.

The case was reported by the mother of the boy to the police, and the police suspect that the boy himself robbed, to prevent his mother selling his moped.

I wonder how law in other countries say about such things :-)

It is a little funny because it make him plaintiff and accused at the very same
lawsut :D

azure moonstone
August 8th, 2016, 07:24 AM
I know it maybe sound crazy :-)

I am a Pole, recently I read a funny story, it was in the press release, somewhere in the countryside, the kid had quarreled with his mother, the punishment for wanting to sell his scooter, which he earned his own work, and was registered in his name.

In Polish law, however, remains the legal guardian of a minor disposal of assets until it reaches the 18 years, ie until the age of majority.

The case was reported by the mother of the boy to the police, and the police suspect that the boy himself robbed, to prevent his mother selling his moped.

I wonder how law in other countries say about such things :-)

It is a little funny because it make him plaintiff and accused at the very same
lawsut :D

Please do not post in threads with more than two months of inactivity. :locked: