PDA

View Full Version : Cat going apeshit all of a sudden?

Stronk Serb
February 3rd, 2015, 02:06 PM
So, I have a cat, had it for almost 8 years now, she's sterilized (can't reproduce, her uterus got infected and that was the only way). Today I come from school and she follows me around snarling. I calm her down by saying "kitty kitty" to her and then she goes on her merry way, then as I took my lunch to my room to eat, she jumps at me from the counter and claws me pretty good on my right arm, not the regular little scratch which usually doesn't bleed which you would you get when she want's to say cuddly/play/carrying time is over. After I was returning the dishes to the sink in the kitchen the thing jumped at my leg from behind the fridge and started chewing through it like it would through a chicken leg, luckily she didn't bite me because of my army surplus pants. Then as I was going to the stairwell of my apartment building to smoke, she get's all snarly and starts hissing on me. When I returned, I thought she would jump me the moment I got in but she was in the hall meowing, wanting to cuddle, as soon as I took of my sneakers, she goes apeshit again. I tried taking of my socks but it irritates her as much so I put the sneakers back on and she's calm now.

-She's an indoor cat and has never set foot outside since we adopted her and spent most of her life in my apartment, except her first two months when she's been living with my friend (who lives in a house and has a yard) and his cat, her mother. She was pretty timid even then.
-No, I do not abuse her so that my behavior would make her do this
-I feed her and change her water regularly and empty the litter box and I thoroughly clean the box and replace the sand thingy she pees and poops on.
-I never physically punished her, if she would climb on tables and counters she wasn't supposed to, I would gently push her off so she lands on her feet.
-For some reasons she is afraid of pointy objects like brooms and sticks and she's afraid from rattling objects and noises, but I those away in the closet or drawers.

What should I do?

caffeine
April 19th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Wow, that's strange. Maybe their random behavior it's food related, what do she eats? Cats are extremely sensible about food. Cat food is safer than these leftfoods that some families give to their cats. Here is a list of foods that you should avoid http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029
I have a question, was she always like that? snarling and hissing at you? or it is something that lately happened? do you have any other cat in your house?
No matter what, do not let her hurt you, because she could get used to it, instead, let her know who rules here, scaring her when she is about to claw you, for instance, clap your hands –but don't hit her.
Good luck!

Olly
April 19th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I would have said maybe it was her time of the month, and she was reacting badly, but that can't be the case. Perhaps it's a virus, or she might've smelled another animal on you and gotten defensive.

I'd suggest taking her to a vet to get her checked over.

Miserabilia
April 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Hmm i don't know in your case in particular but cats are known to have strange random bursts of insanity sometimes... Including mine.
I think it has something to do with territory/smell.

Termina
April 21st, 2015, 10:06 AM
She's sterilised so I don't think she's on her period :/ maybe it's just a mood swing

tiffany1
April 22nd, 2015, 04:47 AM
i hope shes ok :(

fighterpilot360
May 7th, 2015, 07:49 AM
yeah my dog sorta gets like that id be sitting at the table and he would start growling and snarl then bark aggressively