PDA

View Full Version : Inactive profiles

HououinKiyoma
February 3rd, 2015, 12:31 PM
I don't know f this is feasible or not but is it possible to freeze or deactivate the profiles of users who havent used VT for a long time?
It could save a lot of your server space and also the irritation of finding that the last time a person who you wanted to chat with was online was like ages ago..

SethfromMI
February 3rd, 2015, 12:40 PM
if there was a way to make this work it would be amazing. not permanently delete them, but just take them off until they log in or something. I am not sure if it could work or even if it could, I would understand why they wouldn't

Deleted User
February 3rd, 2015, 12:52 PM
The reason they still exist is because it would screw up old archives of threads and if people want to come back, it would really suck to come back to find your account isn't functioning properly.

I believe anyway, this was the answer I remember.

HououinKiyoma
February 3rd, 2015, 01:06 PM
Carmilla I kinda doubt people back after a couple of years not being on the site

azure moonstone
February 3rd, 2015, 01:11 PM
Carmilla I kinda doubt people back after a couple of years not being on the site

Actually, once in awhile they do. Since I have been here, I have seen several members come back from a two, three year (and sometimes longer) hiatus.

What Carmilla says is correct. It does happen.

HououinKiyoma
February 3rd, 2015, 01:19 PM
Emerald Dream I understand that, since I've barely been on VT in comparison to you guys but when you find an interesting post, and you try to contact the person who made the post and you see that he/she made just a few posts and that too years ago, it does put my mood off...

Its kinda hard finding active members whom you haven't heard of or seen..That was my point...
Anyways thanks for your time!

Uranus
February 3rd, 2015, 01:56 PM
I don't understand why you think we need to delete older profiles. It would take way too long to determine, considering there's over 100,000 members and more than half of that is inactive members. I don't think that the staff (Which only senior staff can delete which is either 3-5) would want to delete more than 50,000 profiles. So....not gonna happen

Horatio Nelson
February 3rd, 2015, 01:57 PM
Emerald Dream I understand that, since I've barely been on VT in comparison to you guys but when you find an interesting post, and you try to contact the person who made the post and you see that he/she made just a few posts and that too years ago, it does put my mood off...

Its kinda hard finding active members whom you haven't heard of or seen..That was my point...
Anyways thanks for your time!

That's just the nature of VT. Some people come for the short term, others for years.

It doesn't take that much effort to look at their profile to see how long ago they were active.

I don't understand why you think we need to delete older profiles. It would take way too long to determine, considering there's over 100,000 members and more than half of that is inactive members. I don't think that the staff (Which only senior staff can delete which is either 3-5) would want to delete more than 50,000 profiles. So....not gonna happen

We do not delete profiles.

Uranus
February 3rd, 2015, 02:04 PM

I know :P
But I do know that the administrators can and have deleted profiles before. But not often. What I was pointing out is that if the staff did decide to delete inactive profiles, it'd take forever considering that over 50,000 members of the 100K are inactive, which is why the OP's idea is not going to work.

Luminous
February 3rd, 2015, 02:28 PM
But I do know that the administrators can and have deleted profiles before. But not often. What I was pointing out is that if the staff did decide to delete inactive profiles, it'd take forever considering that over 50,000 members of the 100K are inactive, which is why the OP's idea is not going to work.

Maybe you're confusing bans or something, because really, it doesn't happen. Perhaps you mean Unreg profiles? That means they haven't activated their account, not that they've been deleted. Frankly, I'm a little confused on why you claim to 'know' - if you know a story, I'd love to hear it, because I have never heard of a member being deleted before so seriously, shoot me a PM. Chances are it's a misunderstanding.

StoppingTime
February 3rd, 2015, 03:17 PM

As others have said, I think you have a misunderstanding of this concept.

Not a single, previously-active user has been deleted my entire time on staff. As far as I know, there have only been a handful of such occurrences in the site's history.

If a user is deleted (and their posts aren't), their postbit will show up with the "username" as "Unregistered." But again, this hasn't happened in something like 5 or 6 years, so I'm not sure what it is you're referring to.

It isn't that it'd take a while (there are actually filters which make it a very easy task, in fact), it's just that it isn't our policy

So in the future, before you start telling everyone else how the staff do things, please make sure what you're saying is actually correct.

--

In response to the OP, there's no reason why we'd ever consider doing this. The majority of VT profiles have little to no posts, so they take up an incredibly small amount of server space (which we have plenty of, anyway). Deleting them would only prevent people from possibly rejoining the forums which is something we definitely want to avoid, so I don't really see a need to do this, and the staff don't have any plans to take such action.

Meh Guy
February 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
Yeah this wouldn't really do much. I mean it sounds like a good idea, but in the end I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

Oh and since I'm a math guy...
brightnights the active population is currently less than 4%. Approx. 3.9% of users are considered active :P

HououinKiyoma
February 3rd, 2015, 08:42 PM
In response to the OP, there's no reason why we'd ever consider doing this. The majority of VT profiles have little to no posts, so they take up an incredibly small amount of server space (which we have plenty of, anyway). Deleting them would only prevent people from possibly rejoining the forums which is something we definitely want to avoid, so I don't really see a need to do this, and the staff don't have any plans to take such action.

That's just the nature of VT. Some people come for the short term, others for years.

It doesn't take that much effort to look at their profile to see how long ago they were active.

I understand. Thnaks!

ImCoolBeans
February 3rd, 2015, 10:55 PM
I'd also just like to say that this wouldn't save any server space, since we wouldn't actually be deleting accounts. We're also not that worried about disc space, whereas RAM is the bigger concern when it comes to memory. RAM is more so associated with site features, plug-ins, and modifications than it is with saved information, posts, and profiles.

We haven't been having any issues server-side or with site connectivity, so it's not really necessary to take more invasive action to save space.