PDA

View Full Version : Needle Phobia

Unknwn
February 3rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Yesterday I went to the doctor's and had to face my fear one last time. Ever since I was a kid, I've had a terrible fear of needles. I hated going to the doctor because I was always afraid they were going to give me injections. Last August I had to go to my doctor to fill out some medical information since I was beginning college, and they told me I needed some shots. I didn't get them that day, but my parent's scheduled to have them a few days later. When the day came, I had my first panic attack. It started with me crying, then as I freaked out more about the injections, it became harder for me to breath and I began feeling dizzy and numb. I eventually was able to calm down and get them, but they told me I had to get 2 more doses done in a couple of months and that I had to get a blood test. I had a similar panic attack when I had to get the second dose, but this time it was less severe. The blood test was a different story as they don't just stab you with the needle but it also has to stay there. Luckily, I was able to go through both of them and yesterday I finished my 3rd dose and now I am all done.
I was just wondering if anyone else has a similar fear of needles and if you do, how do you deal with it?

JamesSuperBoy
February 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
That can be so hard to deal with well done you for getting through it.
How people cope varies but now you have managed this time - you can remind yourself it was not so bad after all.

SethfromMI
February 3rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
well not needles, but I get super antsy around bees/wasps/and hornets. I got stung bad a few times as a kid.

I guess just try to take a deep breathe and think of something else during the shot. remind yourself it will be over in a matter of seconds. it is a legit fear though. different people have different things.

I have an uncle who is a strong guy. tough guy (he is nice, but I mean a strong guy). he cant stand the sight of blood. makes him faint.

we all have different things

Ouija
February 5th, 2015, 01:17 AM
yes i have sort of a fear of needles. when i went in for surgery i had never had an IV in my arm so i was freaking out... the surgeon was like "wow your heart rate went through the roof" i have more of a fear of the unknown and thinking about something sticking out of my arm, i'm cringing just thinking about it now. but after it was done i realized that i pretty much psyched myself out over nothing. i've had shots and piercings and the pinch is so brief that i really don't even remember it. so i cope by trying to calm my nerves.. steady breathing & thinking about something else helps too.

amgb
February 5th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I'm scared of needles but definitely not to the point having a phobia of them. I hate getting blood tests done as well so I can understand where you're coming from. I'm not entirely sure of any medical treatments that you could trial because I'm not very experienced in this, but I agree with the others that deep breathing and distractions would most probably work. I know even the sight of the needle freaks you out, but if you maybe read a magazine or watch a video (-that doesn't have needles in it) while the tests are being done that might make it at least a little easier to get through. Also, do you take medication to help control your panic attacks? I think if you at least get the panic attacks out of the way it would definitely be a little easier~

Unknwn
February 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Also, do you take medication to help control your panic attacks? I think if you at least get the panic attacks out of the way it would definitely be a little easier~

No, I didn't take any medication when I had my panic attack since it was the first time I experienced one. While I was having it, I was also trying to reason with myself that I've had shots before, I was only getting one that day, and that maybe it wouldn't hurt so much. I was able to slowly calm down, I drank some water, and reluctantly told my parents that I would do it. When I went into the doctor's office, he was very nice and funny and I just tried to stay calm. When the time came, it really just felt like a pinch and in a couple of seconds I was done.
When I went in for the blood test like a month later, I didn't want to take any medications because I didn't want them to say something like "oh, your blood was tainted with some medicine and we're going to have to do it again" or something like that, so I just, again, tried to stay calm. When I got to the doctor's, it was a bit more scary, but I was able to do it.
Over time, I was able to slowly control myself and this time when I went to get my last shot was the calmest I have been :D

amgb
February 5th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Hi Carlos. That's super good. Yeah drinking water and talking to the doctor might also help and it sounds like it did! Overtime you'll definitely get better at controlling it and I think one day you can wear away the fear to a bearable one:)

Body odah Man
February 7th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I have this too. In Holland you can take some sort of seminar that's soupposed to help with this so if I learn anything good there I'll post it.

Microcosm
February 7th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I used to have that fear, but I realized that it was something that can be solved with a little plain logic:
The medicine they're injecting is HELPFUL.
You gotta realize that the thing you are fearing isn't worth fearing. Like, there are much more important things to fear, like disease or death or a societal collapse. idk lol. Anyways, that's what's helped me. :thumbsup:

Unknwn
February 8th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I used to have that fear, but I realized that it was something that can be solved with a little plain logic:
The medicine they're injecting is HELPFUL.
You gotta realize that the thing you are fearing isn't worth fearing. Like, there are much more important things to fear, like disease or death or a societal collapse. idk lol. Anyways, that's what's helped me. :thumbsup:

Haha, yeah. I think it's mostly the little pain that you get when the needle goes in that scares me. After that part, I'm all good lol. Luckily, after getting these three injections, I've come to realize that the pain is very little and that it's all over even before I realize it. Hopefully next time I have to go get shots (which truthfully I hope isn't for a long time lol), I'll be able to go more calmly.

Microcosm
February 8th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Haha, yeah. I think it's mostly the little pain that you get when the needle goes in that scares me. After that part, I'm all good lol. Luckily, after getting these three injections, I've come to realize that the pain is very little and that it's all over even before I realize it. Hopefully next time I have to go get shots (which truthfully I hope isn't for a long time lol), I'll be able to go more calmly.

Totally! Just remember it'll be over before you know it and that getting a shot is a good thing, even necessary sometimes. Glad I could help!