PDA

View Full Version : Taking Notes While Reading?

Microcosm
February 1st, 2015, 05:51 PM
How do you take notes while reading? Like what kinds of things should I write in the margins? Things like that.

Deleted User
February 1st, 2015, 10:45 PM
I never write in the book itself, that would probably make me cry. I don't usually take notes while reading either. Even for class, honestly. But what to write... it depends on why you're taking notes in the first place.

SethfromMI
February 1st, 2015, 11:05 PM
I never write in the book itself, that would probably make me cry. I don't usually take notes while reading either. Even for class, honestly. But what to write... it depends on why you're taking notes in the first place.

this. I am pretty good at remembering books. I usually only take notes on text books. important people, terms, etc. I keep a notebook nearby

Elysium
February 1st, 2015, 11:05 PM
This. I would say it depends strongly on the book and the context of the book.

Hideous
February 2nd, 2015, 04:13 AM
When I read, I write what's important in the margin. For ex: "she was 19 years old with a horrible childhood, and an ongoing abusive relationship", this is very important and is what you should remember when you read the next chapters ahead. I also take notes to rephrase a sentence/paragraph you don't understand. I usually highlight unknown vocab but I write them down on a separate piece of paper instead.

JamesSuperBoy
February 2nd, 2015, 04:42 AM
I prefer post it notes - would never write in the book - or you get the little tabs to place in the pages. Post it note also is easy found.

and if there are annotations a glossary whatever then I find it easier to skim through - check the glossary etc then read. Just seem to get a better flow.

amgb
February 2nd, 2015, 05:31 AM
I suggest reading it all through before writing any notes, and make sure you understand and can summarise everything you've read. As for the taking notes, it depends on the context. If it's for English then the notes on the margin could maybe consist of definitions, names of techniques or any deep meanings behind the words, something like that. If it's for science then perhaps the notes could be scientific definitions/meanings, theories or explanations. Sorry if I couldn't be of much help.

Emerald Dream
February 2nd, 2015, 09:39 AM
I'm hard pressed to take notes if it's reading for a class. I certainly wouldn't do it if I was reading for entertainment.

Karkat
February 2nd, 2015, 03:16 PM
Like Jo said, writing in books is kinda unthinkable for me

I've actually never really considered taking notes on books. Might do it for writing style/etc. In a separate notebook/etc.

Melodic
February 2nd, 2015, 03:18 PM
I only take notes with reading when I'm doing school work. I'd never do that for just casual reading.

Kahn
February 3rd, 2015, 05:14 AM
When (and if) I write in the margins, it's only a quick thought I have on the text. I try to limit the markings in books I make to highlighted or underlined passages that are of intrigue to me.

Any notes I take at length are taken down on whatever is convenient at that point in time; a piece of paper, my laptop, my phone. I have a few journals filled up with nonsense I've jotted down.

audiophile5
February 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I usually underline quotes I like or I mark passages/paragraphs/bits of dialogue that I particularly like. As to writing, I usually write on philosophical books, things like what I think of an idea/concept, why I think it's true. My most written book is The doors of perception by Aldous Huxley.

And I din't think writing on a book means ruining it. If I see a library full of perfectly taken care of books, I wonder if someone actually reads them or they're just for display. I think it makes them personal if you write notes on them.

Ouija
February 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM
I have a pretty good memory so I don't take a ton of notes. But I briefly summarize each section in the margins. Sometimes if two paragraphs are basically similar you can make it easier and summarize the relation. Highlight quotes, words, and phrases that stand out to you, and write down questions that you can look more into later.

Pilyk
February 12th, 2015, 05:58 AM
I take quotations on a notebook if I really agree or like a sentence or passage. Then sometimes I summarize books in a notebook too, especially when I read it for school.