PDA

View Full Version : Am I bipolar?

justint
February 1st, 2015, 11:53 AM
For 3 years I've been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. I do not get manic but I sometimes get irritated at times perhaps because of my Autism. I have trouble sleeping and staying asleep daily. My psychiatrist prescribed me lithium for mood. He said i may or may not have bipolar disorder. I was in the hospital and they came up with bipolar disorder. I didn't really believe it because the psychiatrist at the hospital only saw me for 5 minutes and then she made the diagnosis. I just don't know if i really have bipolar disorder because I don't get manic like my friend who has bipolar disorder.

Thunderstorm
February 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
You don't have to be bipolar to get manic, you just have to be depressed. Sounds like a personality thing to me though.

Deleted User
February 1st, 2015, 12:23 PM
I would not take that as a credible diagnosis to be honest. If you were in the middle of a manic episode then yes, five minutes is all you really need plus nurse and other staff observations. But bipolar II takes a long time to diagnose by watching your moods and cycles. I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

As for mania though, there is a lesser form called hypomania. But again, it's harder to diagnose and it takes time. Is the lithium working for you? I'm not saying it'll be the perfect drug for you if you are bipolar because some people go through several 'cause everyone's different but sometimes taking bipolar meds and seeing changes in behaviour and mood is an indicator of bipolar disorder. I have borderline personality disorder which is highly comorbid with bipolar and as soon as I started taking bipolar meds, I had a change that nothing given to me for BPD had done for me.

LoganP1
February 2nd, 2015, 10:58 PM
There are two different types of Bipolar disorder;

Bipolar 1 is more focused around the manic states while Bipolar 2 consists of mainly those extreme lows. There is a chance you could have Bipolar 2, but it's really hard to make a guess when you haven't shared your overall symptoms.

As far as your diagnosis goes, they could make the diagnosis somewhat quickly. It really just depends on what all you said to them, and how you explained your symptoms. Most psychologists take more time than 5 minutes to make an official diagnosis though because it requires a lot of information on your behavior and thought-patterns. I would consider making an appointment with a psychologist and trying to get a clearer diagnosis if that's possible.