PDA

View Full Version : Private Messaging

Alex_53
January 24th, 2015, 06:07 AM
This has probable been suggested a fair bit but why don't you lower the amount of posts needed in order to PM other users? Why must we post 100 times before being able to contact other users? I've already had people PM me but I cannot respond because I don't yet have 100 posts. At least lower it to 50?

phuckphace
January 24th, 2015, 06:19 AM
yeah this has been suggested over 420 times but the answer is always the same. the simple fact remains that PMs are the most abused feature on VT and we wouldn't want to see a "SEIZED BY THE FBI" placeholder page, now would we?

Dutchstranger18
January 24th, 2015, 06:22 AM
yeah this has been suggested over 420 times but the answer is always the same. the simple fact remains that PMs are the most abused feature on VT and we wouldn't want to see a "SEIZED BY THE FBI" placeholder page, now would we?

Seized by the FBI? Don't you think that's a bit overdone?
And I think 50 instead of 100 messages really doesn't make a difference

He surely has a point

Ouija
January 24th, 2015, 06:50 AM
yo let's compromise with 75

azure moonstone
January 24th, 2015, 07:00 AM
The staff has discussed this a few times in the past and unfortunately we always come to the same conclusion. There are too many spammers and members who join with the intentions of being completely inappropriate right off the bat.

We do our best to filter out those members, and for the most part (and let's face it, we can't catch everyone right away) - we do a pretty good job of it. Setting the PM privileges to 100 helps with providing a relatively safe place.

Uranus
January 24th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Yea any lower than 100 would be an accident waiting to happen.
Because just with the P101 forums alone, you can easily get to 100 or very close, and people take advantage of this and abuse the PM system. Honestly I believe it should be raised, but that's my own opinion.

ImCoolBeans
January 24th, 2015, 12:05 PM
This is not going to happen, sorry dude. At one point the PM requirement was actually 50 posts, years ago, but based on the amount of abuse the system gets it had to be raised.

Uranus
January 24th, 2015, 10:00 PM
ImCoolBeans I'm wondering whether or not it should be raised, or at least a certain time frame of membership. Maybe having either 125 posts and/or 1-2 months membership? Because honestly some new members (Who do abuse the PM System) get the 100 in a single day. Should we consider a certain time frame?

StoppingTime
January 24th, 2015, 10:05 PM
ImCoolBeans I'm wondering whether or not it should be raised, or at least a certain time frame of membership. Maybe having either 125 posts and/or 1-2 months membership? Because honestly some new members (Who do abuse the PM System) get the 100 in a single day. Should we consider a certain time frame?

We have no intention of moving it anywhere. It's been set at 100 for a while and has worked well. The staff are always looking out for those who may abuse the system, and we've had no problem doing this given the current limit. Raising it any higher would be rather unfair to those who actually want to use the system for appropriate reasons.

ImCoolBeans
January 24th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Bright Nights, Steven summed up my thoughts on the matter rather well. I think raising it could possibly discourage users, and isn't fair to those who abide by the rules and want to use the system for it's intended purpose.

Deleted User
January 24th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Because just with the P101 forums alone, you can easily get to 100 or very close, and people take advantage of this and abuse the PM system.

Not even just P101. For those wondering how that's possible, I've had a few days in a row where I've made 50 posts in one day in multiple areas of the forum without spamming. So if I can do it, any new member with the intention of just finding their way to the PM requirement can potentially do it as well, especially if the limit was under 100. You'd probably have people abusing the system in less than 24 hours.

At least with 100 posts, a lot of people who come here for the wrong reasons won't actually be as active as me in other areas of the forums and therefore just get bored after their first 20 posts of P101 spam or less. But even with 100, it's not impossible but it definitely limits the chances.

Short of pigs flying, I know the post limit won't change any time soon and it's exactly where it should be.

Alex_53
January 25th, 2015, 01:11 AM
Thanks everyone for your contribution! I understand why it remains at 100 now! Good job admins btw, I love this site so far!

sunnieseason
January 31st, 2015, 05:21 PM

I'm no psychologist, but if someone was going to use this forum for evil purposes they would wait out the 100 post limit and still do bad things. FYI, the best criminals and bad guys are methodical and calculating. There is no limit that would stop a clever bad guy.

This 100 post limit is exactly like the TSA at the airports. If you really wanted to do some damage then you would just find a way around the system.

Horatio Nelson
January 31st, 2015, 05:25 PM
I'm no psychologist, but if someone was going to use this forum for evil purposes they would wait out the 100 post limit and still do bad things. FYI, the best criminals and bad guys are methodical and calculating. There is no limit that would stop a clever bad guy.

This 100 post limit is exactly like the TSA at the airports. If you really wanted to do some damage then you would just find a way around the system.

That's why we're here. Even if someone "played it cool" until 100 posts, we keep an eye on everything. One of the main goals of VT is to provide a safe environment for our members.

sunnieseason
January 31st, 2015, 05:42 PM
That's why we're here. Even if someone "played it cool" until 100 posts, we keep an eye on everything. One of the main goals of VT is to provide a safe environment for our members.

The rule is arbitrary, it's not going to keep anyone safer than if it was 50 post minimum. Let's say a cyber bully wanted to harass me, so he keeps up to the 100 post minimum. If he's that calculating and patient then he's not going to make post 101 "Summer is a slut." He'll be more patient than that.

Saying words like "safe environment" and "safety" aren't going to magically change human nature.

I don't know how so many people can find the time to post 100 posts so quickly. I've got school and homework and my parents only let me go online for small chunks of time. This is just painful to wait and wait and wait.

I also wonder how many posts are made only so people can fill a quota? These kinds of limits just encourage quantity and not quality posts.

Just sayin....I'll respect the rules but sometimes they do need to be questioned.

StoppingTime
January 31st, 2015, 06:19 PM
The rule is arbitrary, it's not going to keep anyone safer than if it was 50 post minimum. Let's say a cyber bully wanted to harass me, so he keeps up to the 100 post minimum. If he's that calculating and patient then he's not going to make post 101 "Summer is a slut." He'll be more patient than that.

You could say that about any number. But the fact is that more often than not, we don't really see too many people with that much of an intent to harass someone. More often, we see people who have little patience and simply want a quick chance at trying to cam, or some other illegal activity. They certainly won't stick around to post 100 times.

Saying words like "safe environment" and "safety" aren't going to magically change human nature.

I don't know how so many people can find the time to post 100 posts so quickly. I've got school and homework and my parents only let me go online for small chunks of time. This is just painful to wait and wait and wait.

It really doesn't take too long, even to make quality posts. There's no rush, anyway. Many people leave offsite contact information, so you could always try that before Private Messaging them.

I also wonder how many posts are made only so people can fill a quota? These kinds of limits just encourage quantity and not quality posts.

That really doesn't matter, honestly. We're not going to be policing everyone new user's post count to ensure that every post made is up to some arbitrary standard of "quality." If we notice someone is spamming one or two word answers in a short amount of time, more often than not we'll take action and contact them about it anyway.

Meh Guy
January 31st, 2015, 08:23 PM
Let me just give my two cents worth here. It took me approximately a week to get 100 posts. One week. And some people don't have the kind of time I had. Off the top of my head, I could name... Oh I don't know... 5 or more ways to get other teens to cam, trade pics etc that would require me to say "hey, wanna sext?" And boom! Done. That takes like what, 5 minutes?

People who want to do stuff that isn't appropriate aren't gonna spend the time getting 100 posts just to do that kinda stuff. And the ones who do have that kind of a... "Perversion", the mods can usually catch.

We lower it to 50, for example I can get 50 in about 2 days. That, on the averages I have suggested, will triple to quadruple the amount of people who abuse the feature.

I'm not even a staff member and I know they don't have that time. Not to mention hopefully you joined VT to help and such, not pm people.

TL;DR, the post count isn't gonna change, get over it.

sunnieseason
January 31st, 2015, 11:54 PM
TL;DR, the post count isn't gonna change, get over it.

Whatevs. This world doesn't make sense because too many people just give up and say "well that's the way it is, get over it."

TheFutureDoctor
February 1st, 2015, 12:52 AM
I totally agree. I am still at 24 or something and it is so boring! Bring it to 50!!!

Deleted User
February 1st, 2015, 01:14 AM
Whatevs. This world doesn't make sense because too many people just give up and say "well that's the way it is, get over it."

This isn't about the world making sense. There are rules in place that have been discussed over and over again and they aren't changing because that is what endless groups of moderators have agreed upon. We had this discussion when I was a moderator back in like 2011 or 2012 (god, I can't even remember the year) and this was the exact conversation. If it hasn't changed year after year, it's for a reason and arguing about it at this point is... well, pointless.

No one is just saying "that's the way it is, get over it", we've explained why it is not changing and if you're not happy with the answer, we can't help you.

Meh Guy
February 1st, 2015, 11:47 AM
I totally agree. I am still at 24 or something and it is so boring! Bring it to 50!!!

Without going totally off topic, here is a suggestion. The way you get posts is by helping people. Post in any thread that you can help or offer insight in. I can maintain 10-15 posts or more a day because I enjoy helping out. So the suggestion is:

Are you on VT to get help and help others with questions? Or are you here to message people. Because if its the latter than there are really good sites for that, called social networking sites. So if you find it boring or too long to get 100, reevaluate why you're here.

Many people have past 100 posts with no problem.

sunnieseason
February 1st, 2015, 01:04 PM
This isn't about the world making sense. There are rules in place that have been discussed over and over again and they aren't changing because that is what endless groups of moderators have agreed upon. We had this discussion when I was a moderator back in like 2011 or 2012 (god, I can't even remember the year) and this was the exact conversation. If it hasn't changed year after year, it's for a reason and arguing about it at this point is... well, pointless.

No one is just saying "that's the way it is, get over it", we've explained why it is not changing and if you're not happy with the answer, we can't help you.

I like to challenge rules from time to time.

Vlerchan
February 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM
I can never imagine good intentions behind wanting to lower this considering the VM function exists.

Even on boards where I make actual normal conversation with people I wasn't using the function for months before I was there.

sunnieseason
February 2nd, 2015, 09:19 PM
I can never imagine good intentions behind wanting to lower this considering the VM function exists.

Even on boards where I make actual normal conversation with people I wasn't using the function for months before I was there.

It's just annoying when so many people send me PMs and I can't respond. Most of the people here seem really nice so I would like to say hi back. As for the rule, whatever, it is what it is.

Arkansasguy
February 3rd, 2015, 12:04 PM
It's just annoying when so many people send me PMs and I can't respond. Most of the people here seem really nice so I would like to say hi back. As for the rule, whatever, it is what it is.

Use the VMs.

sunnieseason
February 3rd, 2015, 09:18 PM
Use the VMs.

I don't need to any more. :D

CanadianJake
February 4th, 2015, 04:15 PM
yo let's compromise with 75

I think Ouija got it right, 75 would be a good compromise from 100. But I understand what the staff are saying with a lot of people signing up hoping to message people for private information or try to do stuff inappropriately such as having a bad conversation, wanting to do stuff off the site such as wanting to cam with people or getting inappropriate photos.

But I guess the 100 post option to keep a lot of the users safe.

ImagineRepublicCity
February 7th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Look guys, without trying very hard, I was able to find this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197829) and this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211116). (They're just threads similar to this one)

Honestly, the way it is is fine. I thought it was a large amount when I first came on, but it honestly isn't. The post restriction is for safety of other members. As you may or may not of realised, there are many banned members out there, and of course, they are banned for breaking rules.

Even as it is now, the VM system gets a lot of inappropriate and ridiculous things, so you can only imagine what can and does happen via PM.