PDA

View Full Version : The Graveyard Shift.

Saint of Sinners
January 22nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
The moon watching, silently bearing witness.

It was midnight. Jerry hauled his bag of tools into his workplace and unceremoniously dumped it on the cold ground. He worked the graveyard shift, starting at midnight, ending just before dawn. Orders were few and far between, but it paid handsomely. Well, at least it was enough to justify the ungodly hours.

Jerry got to work. He began digging at the soft, freshly laid earth. It wasn't difficult. Soon, he managed to dig a hole just about six feet deep. There was a wooden rectangular box at the bottom of the hole. He hauled it up and pryed it open with a crowbar. The goods were still fresh. Not a bad haul at all, he thought to himself. He loaded the merchandise into a canvas sack and lowered the box back in the hole. He then proceeded to fill the hole back up. Dragging both the sack and his toolbag, he began walking home.

Upon arrival, he stuffed the canvas sack into a freezer. The men from the university should come by to collect it in the morning. Jerry sat down in a worn out armchair and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. Smoking was one thing that could always calm him down. His job was a simple one, but it was immensely nerve-wracking. One mistake could end in disaster. Jerry knew from experience that it was best to hold it in and stay calm while he was working. It was a delicate job, and nervousness leads to mistakes. Jerry let out a big sigh, thankful that it was another job well done.

The moon was watching, silently bearing witness.

I thought this up and wrote it on the spot. Tell me if it's any good. Also bonus points for guessing Jerry's occupation :D

Thunderstorm
January 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
I think it's overall very good! It keeps people in suspicion. However, I would hope you will end it with a climax or shocking twist, as there was nothing to really latch on to at the end.