PDA

View Full Version : Why do teens turn to drugs?

CanadianJake
January 19th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this if it isn't I'm sure the mods will move it or close it.

Anyways my question is, why do teens do drugs or even smoke for that matter. It seems like an ongoing problem and seems like most of today's generations and younger generations are getting in on the action with drugs/smoking. Why are teens doing this? are they trying to fit in with society because it makes them look cooler? are they trying to make a name for themselves to become popular?

I personally would never do drugs nor would I ever smoke but I just don't understand the craze behind it.

Dortmund
January 19th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Two reasons -

1. To be cool/ impress people.
2. It's an escape from reality.

Deleted User
January 19th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I do softer drugs 'cause I feel like it and I like the feelings they give me. I was never pressured. People offered and I tried them 'cause it was my decision.

I've done harder drugs to escape.

conniption
January 19th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I smoke weed because I like to relax every once in a while and the same goes for alcohol. It's not like I avidly go looking for drugs to prove a point to anybody because I don't think any one else cares to know what I'm up to in my free time. I try to keep my drug usage pretty discreet cos it's not really something that needs to be broadcasted.

As for others that do drugs, I can't give an accurate answer as to why they go drugs. Most people I know either did/do out of curiosity or simply to unwind. I've honestly never been in a situation or heard of someone being pressured to try something they're not comfortable with.

Karkat
January 20th, 2015, 12:12 AM
For me, it's an escape. I get to spots where it's really fucking hard to deal, and it's escape reality for a while or try to end it all.

Lottie
January 20th, 2015, 02:20 AM
I only drink occasionally and smoke weed.

The weed helps me relax and makes all the crap in life seem not so bad, plus its fun and is a great social thing wit friends.

amgb
January 20th, 2015, 03:56 AM
I agree with Dortmund. And I hate how some people judge teens for being crazy and rebellious and all that, yeah sometimes we are but sometimes we do have real issues and we are in need of help with drugs/drug abuse.

James Dean
January 20th, 2015, 05:31 AM
*Pressure from family/friends who either heavily do them already or are convinced or influenced by them.

*The media (tv, films music that promote young people doing drugs) showing positive or coolness of use.

*Gang violence and cliques at school saying you won't be apart our group unless you do them.

*Rebellious feelings of doing something wrong that gives you a temporary feeling of happiness.

*Social acceptance or deviance in which you don't feel alone or a square if you don't do it.

CanadianJake
January 20th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all your replies guys.

I personally wouldn't judge people for turning to drugs, that's the one thing I'd never do it's just I was left trying to figure out why teens turn to this sort of thing. Why turn to something that's only gonna become a problem down the road, I understand for some it's the only way to escape and forget their life for awhile. Either way thanks for the replies. I just wanted some insight on it and why teens are doing it.

raempu
January 21st, 2015, 06:57 AM
For me drugs, smoking and alcohol are escapes. It's nice not to feel so much pain anymore but to relax and just enjoy the moment and the feeling you get from the drug or alcohol. Smoking isn't a very escaping thing it's just nice to smoke when you are stressed or when you're feeling down or something.
The drugs and alcohol just take my problems away for a bit and that's very nice..

I also know how bad these things are for me (and others) but that doesn't hold me back. I think this is why most teens don't stop doing it because they have (mental)problems and they don't really care what it does to their body and brains..

Periphery
January 21st, 2015, 09:06 AM
Seems as this thread is pretty similar to the smoking one I started. Same case here.

To be cool, because of issues, because people force them to.
I am not sure but I'm guessing these 3 are probably the most common reasons.

Teens these day are doing drugs everywhere, even in my school people my age are smoking and doing drugs.
I guess it's a common problem these days.

tasminsmith
January 21st, 2015, 11:02 AM
too seem cool, because they thinks its what everyone else does, to try and escape reality

Let Me Be a Pony
January 21st, 2015, 02:09 PM
To boost their imagination, in most cases. To cloud their mind with jolted thoughts.
Depending on the drug, they become addicts after a few goes.

cookiemonstermatt
January 21st, 2015, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this if it isn't I'm sure the mods will move it or close it.

Anyways my question is, why do teens do drugs or even smoke for that matter. It seems like an ongoing problem and seems like most of today's generations and younger generations are getting in on the action with drugs/smoking. Why are teens doing this? are they trying to fit in with society because it makes them look cooler? are they trying to make a name for themselves to become popular?

I personally would never do drugs nor would I ever smoke but I just don't understand the craze behind it.

i smoked a couple times because my friends were doing it. dumb excuse i know but that's how it went. i don't think it's a good idea tho.

CanadianJake
January 22nd, 2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies guys, I understand it's an escape from the real world for awhile but the problem I have is so many teens are doing it and it will only hurt them later on in life, it's gonna lead to some serious health issues down the road. Yeah I guess once in a while it won't hurt them but it's also the fact some of these drugs are illegal. I don't judge people who do it but I wanted to know why so many teens are doing it. It kind of saddens me to see so many teens throw their life away on drugs, life might be hard but there's resources out there to help you if you do go through a rough time. But either way thanks for all the replies anyways!

TredOut
January 25th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I like to smoke weed every weekend because it's relaxing and it helps me with my bipolarity, since I don't want to take meds. Everything is great when you're high and since I have a really good dealer I get the really good stuff, don't but weed from the streets. I drink at parties but try to limit it, because I used to have drinking problems when I was 14 and I'm worried it will get me again. Just some shit I was going through and thought stealing and drinking alcohol would help me but it didn't.

Perfectly Flawed
January 26th, 2015, 01:00 AM
It's late so I won't post all the reasons I can think of.

For me personally I drink casually with meals because well, culture. Other times I drink to stop thinking or to enjoy myself.

Dutchstranger18
January 26th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I agree with Dortmund. And I hate how some people judge teens for being crazy and rebellious and all that, yeah sometimes we are but sometimes we do have real issues and we are in need of help with drugs/drug abuse.

And a lot of teens overrate their own issues. So that`s not a good reason to take drugs. It`s never a good reason to take drugs to avod your problems though.

I take soft-drugs once in a while because I think it`s relaxing but not on a regular base

jack169
January 26th, 2015, 09:38 AM
depression probably

PinkFloyd
January 26th, 2015, 10:50 AM
The way I see it, it's a pass-time. Some people play xbox with their friends. Some people play sports with their friends and some people sit in the back of a Cadillac Fleetwood smoking weed and listening to Jimi Hendrix.

amgb
January 26th, 2015, 05:20 PM
And a lot of teens overrate their own issues.

That is true, but there are also a lot of teens who don't. And also some of the issues experienced by a lot of teens are actually pretty bad.

I take soft-drugs once in a while because I think its relaxing but not on a regular base.

Keep up the once-in-a-while part. Yeah teens also take soft drugs for relaxing and enjoyment

everlong
January 28th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Where I live, drugs is a big thing in teens. From what I've heard, it's mostly peer pressure, or wanting to fit in with others.

Dennis98
January 28th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Like one quote from movie "Hotel Rwanda" ;

"Dube: Aah, that is a fine cigar, sir!
Paul Rusesabagina: This is a Cohiba cigar. Each one is worth 10,000 francs.
Dube: 10,000 francs?
Paul Rusesabagina: Yes, yes. But it is worth more to me than 10,000 francs.
Dube: What do you mean, sir?
Paul Rusesabagina: If I give a businessman 10,000 francs, what does that matter to him? He is rich. But, if I give him a Cohiba cigar straight from Havana, Cuba. Hey, that is style, Dube.
Dube: [smiles] Style! "

It reminds me on this , like he said , STYLE , because of style ...

lonely_gay_boy
January 28th, 2015, 06:53 PM
I do it because it makes me forget the things i dont want to remember, but i only smoke pot /.\ i wouldnt do any other drug. And it helps with depression

Meh Guy
January 28th, 2015, 10:32 PM
are they trying to fit in with society because it makes them look cooler? are they trying to make a name for themselves to become popular?

You got it. That is the main reason. To look cool and become popular. Some do it for an escape and a stress reliever but most do it for a look that says: "I'm a fucking rebel."

NilnocK
February 5th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Because it's fun and it's something we aren't supposed to be doing.