PDA

View Full Version : Is in need of critiques

Horizon
January 18th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Okay I'll try this again, and hopefully will not derp out.

Please do critique my photos if you choose to look at them! Of course I can't make you, but I'd really like to know your thoughts :)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2015/017/d/b/sunray_bench_by_thelandofsillhouette-d8ec7is.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2015/017/e/9/nugget_by_thelandofsillhouette-d8ec730.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2015/017/6/d/hdr_by_thelandofsillhouette-d8ec6ts.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/017/5/6/lone_flower_by_thelandofsillhouette-d8ec6is.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2015/017/d/7/hq_by_thelandofsillhouette-d8ec653.jpg

ImCoolBeans
January 19th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I LOVE the first photo. Like God damn. Fantastic composition, Mickel. I love your angle, and approach to the photo, it is very skillful and encompasses multiple strong compositional elements. The photo is weighted well on the left side, the lighting is intriguing, the sunburst, which I don't normally find myself gravitating toward, is exceptional IMO, and I love the textures in the wood, as well as the brick. The sign also grabbed my interest.

While I don't think that the photo of the flower on the rock is your strongest photo, from this set or your portfolio, it shows a good understanding of focus and the relationship it has with depth of field.

Well done, Mickel.

tasminsmith
January 19th, 2015, 01:40 PM
wow I think that's amazing I like the first one the best, the last one the least but that's just my thoughts

lightPainting
January 25th, 2015, 03:22 AM
wow these are pretty good! i would add more contrast to the black and white but still... Awesome!

maniamsmart
January 26th, 2015, 04:22 PM
wow these are pretty good! i would add more contrast to the black and white but still... Awesome!

Agreed with this, I am a big sucker for contrast :P In all my designs I turn the contrast up just a tad. However, your photos are really good, and I like them a lot. Wish I could take pictures like that :P

Horizon
January 27th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Thank you all for these critiques, i'll keep this stuff in mind next time I am shooting and processing. :) If any one has any thoughts, do feel free to add them still! I'm always open to hear opinions.

lightPainting
January 30th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Thank you all for these critiques, i'll keep this stuff in mind next time I am shooting and processing. :) If any one has any thoughts, do feel free to add them still! I'm always open to hear opinions.

when taking pictures, keep in mind, "what's my style?". you might not find your answer soon. but keep that question in mind

StoppingTime
January 30th, 2015, 11:19 PM
I know you probably won't see this for a while, but still :P

I'm really drawn towards the second and last photo in this set. The framing, with the subject on the left slightly out of the frame really adds to the image. Along with the variety of textures that you captured there (the brick, the wood above the door, the metal along the left side), I think it's the strongest piece there. I wonder though, what would it look like in color? Is it really necessary to desaturate it?
As for the last one, I like how you changed the where you placed the subject (similar to the first image), and I think the use of (somewhat) negative space as you look up towards the top right of the frame is intriguing as well.

To add on to the point made above me, as these photos part of a specific body of work? If so, is there a theme to it? And if not, how do you see these images fitting together, if at all? Just some questions to think about, I suppose.

Cognizant
January 31st, 2015, 01:03 PM
I really like your work, but to be honest, unlike Mike, I'm not that crazy for the first photo... :P The white balance, shapes, and balance of the frame is good, but the sky is.....I don't know. The extreme harshness of the highlights really bothers me for some reason. I personally would play around with the highlights and shadows a bit more in Lightroom or Photoshop to balance it out a bit better. The sun flares are really cool, though. It works out well and makes the frame seem more surreal, especially in your third photograph.

when taking pictures, keep in mind, "what's my style?". you might not find your answer soon. but keep that question in mind

I know you probably won't see this for a while, but still :P

To add on to the point made above me, as these photos part of a specific body of work? If so, is there a theme to it? And if not, how do you see these images fitting together, if at all? Just some questions to think about, I suppose.

I can see how all of the images (except the one of the flower) could fit together. When I first glanced through the set, I imagined a tiny town with a very small (if any) population. The photographs gave me a sense of quiet-ness and spaciousness that you wouldn't find in your average suburban city.

Melodic
January 31st, 2015, 01:21 PM
Wow! These are amazing! I love the last one the most!

Horizon
January 31st, 2015, 01:54 PM
I really like your work, but to be honest, unlike Mike, I'm not that crazy for the first photo... :P The white balance, shapes, and balance of the frame is good, but the sky is.....I don't know. The extreme harshness of the highlights really bothers me for some reason. I personally would play around with the highlights and shadows a bit more in Lightroom or Photoshop to balance it out a bit better. The sun flares are really cool, though. It works out well and makes the frame seem more surreal, especially in your third photograph.

I can see how all of the images (except the one of the flower) could fit together. When I first glanced through the set, I imagined a tiny town with a very small (if any) population. The photographs gave me a sense of quiet-ness and spaciousness that you wouldn't find in your average suburban city.

Population of 8,000! Seems like a big number, but's really close to everyone knowing everyone here. I could walk from one end of town to the other along the highway in less than an hour. But only because I'm such a slow walker hehe. And well, this is for everyone, but I guess this could be a photo story. My friend and I went out doing photography because I have been slacking on it lately. So we walked around Main Street and thats where the majority of the shots were taken, and then we went up to Rattlesnake, which is a mountain just outside of town which is also home to a race track.

So yeah, this really could be a story about a small town.

P.S To the person who spoke about the highlights from the picture of the bench, I can put up a second version I edited if you'd like? I kinda like the second edit better anyways.

maniamsmart
January 31st, 2015, 08:23 PM
Now that I look at it again, the first and third are my favorites, the sun looks amazing. Did you add any of those effects?

amybah
February 1st, 2015, 03:48 PM
I love photography and I think that this pictures are really good

Zerep2016
April 1st, 2015, 02:38 AM
The first one is the best

xXoblivionXx
April 3rd, 2015, 07:00 PM
these are really good :D in the first and second one perhaps edit out the colorful spot from the sun, the circular glare looking thing :P

Abhorrence
April 4th, 2015, 10:34 AM
The first and third photos are absolutely fantastic, I really like them.

SethfromMI
April 7th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I can't give great advice on taking better photos, but from what i see you are doing a great job!

City Kid
April 10th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Oh, wow, those photos are absolutely amazing! I especially love the first and the second one, they look really professional! The last one looks very cool as well. I don't like the third and the forth one that much, though. In comparison to your other works they just seem a little... I don't wanna say boring, rather a little unspectacular. ^^ But I'm being picky. If those two photos were by someone else, I'd say they're great, it just seems like you can do even better. So keep the good work up!
Will you post some more pictures anytime soon? I'd love to see more of your work!