PDA

View Full Version : Trichotillomania?

jennaispro
January 18th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I've had trich for a few years now, and after the pulling from my head got noticeable, I moved to other areas. It's getting to the point where I'm pulling so much, it's impairing my ability to function. I just wanted to know if anyone else was in a similar boat or had any tips for stopping. Thanks!
(:metal: <- I need this back!!!)

Excalibur
January 26th, 2015, 11:31 PM
I personally do not have trich, nor do I really know what it feels like, so I'm not really in the position to tell you what to do, but I would try a hat, possibly. That may help, may not. But, there are a couple channels on YouTube (including Beckie0) covering that subject. Beckie0 openly has trich, and she has many videos about trich, so she may help, and I'm sure you could contact her or a doctor/therapist about it. Hope this helps.

Sorry this is a bit late. :p

Karkat
January 27th, 2015, 12:33 AM
I haven't been diagnosed with it, but I do have a problem of that sort

I also skin pick and pick at my nails. I've found the thing that works best for me is keeping my hands busy.

Calliope
January 27th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I don't have trich, but I do have dermatillomania (skin picking disorder). Hello, fellow person with a BFRB!
You can of course look into getting a wig or two, and there's always things to help cover up noticeable missing hair (if you pull at eyebrows or eyelashes, there's always eyebrow pencils and false lashes). Keeping your hands busy sounds like a good idea - I know there's an Etsy store that sells things to distract people from things like trich, but I can't find it :( Still, something like a fidget ring might be helpful to you.
Check out this post (http://get-up-and-recover.tumblr.com/post/89855057811/more-fidgets-and-techniques-that-i-use-to-help), maybe? I didn't read the entire thing and it's made with dermatillomania in mind, but it seems like it could help. This (http://bfrbdirectory.tumblr.com/tagged/trichotillomania) may also be of use to you. It's a directory of Tumblrs dedicated to BFRB's, and there's a whole section on trich blogs. I hope I helped a bit, and good luck!