PDA

View Full Version : graphic designers + vbux + awards

fairmaiden
January 11th, 2015, 03:33 PM
graphic designers
i think it would be cool if there were graphic designers on the forum! I've seen so many really nice signatures and avatars that people make, and they seem to be graphic-designer worthy to me! The graphic designers could design new skins, awards, games, competitions, etc. I don't know whether moderators are also graphic designers though; if so, ignore this section please aha.

awards
On some vbulletin forums, I noticed that their uses have like a bar below their signatures in which awards are stored. the awards were given as a gift for winning a competition.

vbux
I've also seen that there are some forums that have the 'vbux' currency. They earn vbux by posting and different things like that. They can spend the vbux on username customisations, badges, etc.

competitions
I haven't been very active on this forum, so I'm not sure whether we have competitions or not. But if we don't, it would be really cool to see like monthly competitions. It would be a great way to involve all members of VT and we could all get to know each other more.

Calliope
January 11th, 2015, 04:03 PM
There are graphic designers on the site (like me). We don't need a special rank for it or anything. If new skins/awards/games/competitions were needed, I'm sure the staff would just ask or hire someone.

Why not put awards in your signature?

The whole "vbux" thing seems really unnecessary and would probably be used as a rank thing, like "I have more vbux so I'm better than you," even if that's not what it's intended for.

Competitions would probably be a mess. People can get really competitive.

fairmaiden
January 11th, 2015, 04:19 PM
There are graphic designers on the site (like me). We don't need a special rank for it or anything. If new skins/awards/games/competitions were needed, I'm sure the staff would just ask or hire someone.

Why not put awards in your signature?

The whole "vbux" thing seems really unnecessary and would probably be used as a rank thing, like "I have more vbux so I'm better than you," even if that's not what it's intended for.

Competitions would probably be a mess. People can get really competitive.
I'm talking about official graphic designers, just like official moderators.

It doesn't work that way, lol. Awards are gifted to people by admins/moderators, and they go in a specific bar below the signature; that way people can't pretend that they have certain awards when they don't. There's a plug in/ modification that's specifically for vbulletin; I don't know the administrators have to pay for it though.

Not really. Do people get into fights about ''Oh I have more posts than you so I'm better than you?'' Haven't seen any fights about that. I have been on forums filled with 9-12 year olds and I haven't seen a single fight about vbux.

Everyone on this forum should be mature enough not to get into an argument over competitions. It's a way of integrating members of the forum, not destroying it. There can also be competitions in which people team up.

Deleted User
January 11th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Not really. Do people get into fights about ''Oh I have more posts than you so I'm better than you?'' Haven't seen any fights about that. I have been on forums filled with 9-12 year olds and I haven't seen a single fight about vbux.

Everyone on this forum should be mature enough not to get into an argument over competitions. It's a way of integrating members of the forum, not destroying it. There can also be competitions in which people team up.

I'm going to assume the rep system was already disabled before you joined up.

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and anyone who remembers rep will probably agree with me.

fairmaiden
January 11th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I'm going to assume the rep system was already disabled before you joined up.

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and anyone who remembers rep will probably agree with me.
Rep is different to vbux. People cannot disadvantage others when it comes to vbux, unlike rep, where people can downvote others out of spite.

Deleted User
January 11th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Rep is different to vbux. People cannot disadvantage others when it comes to vbux, unlike rep, where people can downvote others out of spite.

But it still turns into a popularity contest. That's not the point of this site and while healthy competition can be nice, I really have never found it appropriate for VT. While I can't speak for the current staff, that was how it was when I was there and more active and I don't see why it wouldn't be the same now.

Besides, this is a help and advice site. People should continue to be creative and post their work in the other sections of the forums but I don't see this being a useful addition.

Silicate Wielder
January 11th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I'm talking about official graphic designers, just like official moderators.

It doesn't work that way, lol. Awards are gifted to people by admins/moderators, and they go in a specific bar below the signature; that way people can't pretend that they have certain awards when they don't. There's a plug in/ modification that's specifically for vbulletin; I don't know the administrators have to pay for it though.

Official Graphics designers? Nah, perhaps just a place for people to post stuff they make for VT, they get credit if something is used in the site.

About Awards, it seems like a good idea. My forum has a feature like this, the site automatically gives awards when criteria are met, but users with the right permissions can also do the same. If implemented right I don't see a reason why not to do a trial period for it.

VBux, seems utterly pointless to tell you the truth, it's like the old rep system. If people can handle it then that is all fine and dandy but I would prefer not to see that happen again. If it's implemented my out-of-hand imagination can only see it being removed in time.

StoppingTime
January 11th, 2015, 07:18 PM
graphic designers
i think it would be cool if there were graphic designers on the forum! I've seen so many really nice signatures and avatars that people make, and they seem to be graphic-designer worthy to me! The graphic designers could design new skins, awards, games, competitions, etc. I don't know whether moderators are also graphic designers though; if so, ignore this section please aha.

People can do that anyway. We don't need to start handing out ranks to people - if you have an idea or request in designing something, ask the staff. Separating users with these kinds of denominations is only asking for trouble.

awards
On some vbulletin forums, I noticed that their uses have like a bar below their signatures in which awards are stored. the awards were given as a gift for winning a competition.

And those forums are, more often than not, cluttered with all these (meaningless) stars and points and etc...what good would those be here?

vbux
I've also seen that there are some forums that have the 'vbux' currency. They earn vbux by posting and different things like that. They can spend the vbux on username customisations, badges, etc.

Again, why? Can you be a bit more specific with this one?

competitions
I haven't been very active on this forum, so I'm not sure whether we have competitions or not. But if we don't, it would be really cool to see like monthly competitions. It would be a great way to involve all members of VT and we could all get to know each other more.

Again, this is just asking for trouble. Once we start having competitions for points and bux and whatever else, people are going to get into arguments. They didn't like a call, they think favorites are being played, etc, etc. This is inevitable, we've seen it with rep, and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't happen again

fairmaiden
January 11th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I am honestly confused as to why the members of this forum would become confrontational and have fights over something as minor as vbux and awards. All of my suggestions were so that people could have more fun on this forum and take away some of the doom and gloom that they feel. But apparently people would start fighting over virtual currency. I really don't understand this.

ImCoolBeans
January 11th, 2015, 10:22 PM
I don't things like competitions or popularity boosters are a good idea on VT. This is a help site, we had a reputation feature in the past, and that did not work out well at all. In my opinion, and in the opinion of a large part of the community, the site has been much better off without features like this.

And official designers being a part of the staff is not a good idea. The staff's job is to uphold the rules and keep the site running smoothly, bringing on additional team members as "official graphic designers" would only create more for us to oversee and distract us from the true task at hand.

You've made multiple suggestions for drastic changes to the site in the last two days, after not being very active on the site at all, as you even said yourself. I don't mean this in a condescending tone, so please don't take it that way, but I suggest using the site actively and giving it a shot before asking to make multiple, drastic changes off the bat.

fairmaiden
January 13th, 2015, 12:13 AM
I don't things like competitions or popularity boosters are a good idea on VT. This is a help site, we had a reputation feature in the past, and that did not work out well at all. In my opinion, and in the opinion of a large part of the community, the site has been much better off without features like this.

And official designers being a part of the staff is not a good idea. The staff's job is to uphold the rules and keep the site running smoothly, bringing on additional team members as "official graphic designers" would only create more for us to oversee and distract us from the true task at hand.

You've made multiple suggestions for drastic changes to the site in the last two days, after not being very active on the site at all, as you even said yourself. I don't mean this in a condescending tone, so please don't take it that way, but I suggest using the site actively and giving it a shot before asking to make multiple, drastic changes off the bat.
I just woke up and I didn't see this until now.

I'm still struggling to see why members of the forum would become hostile and angry about competitions. If some members actually do get angry over petty things like that, then I'm actually surprised.

Well there isn't really any other tone to take your comment in lol. I don't see how my suggestions are drastic at all; they're not changing VirtualTeen very much, and I never forced you guys to apply my suggestions to any part of the forum.

All I was doing is sharing my opinions with you guys, which is what I thought the ''suggestions'' forum was all about. I had seen certain modifications on other forums in the past which were very successful, so I decided to suggest these modifications to you guys, but for some reason I'm coming off as random. I've been active for the last month or so, which to me is more than enough to make certain judgements.

I have tried to be polite and thoughtful with every suggestion that I've made, but for some reason you think that I'm just randomly coming up with things. What is the suggestion forum even for then? All I have done is simply put forwards ideas to make VT better, however I'm accused of not giving this site a shot and making drastic suggestions.

I, as someone who came on this forum to have fun, be helped, and help others, am struggling to find the 'fun' on this forum. Other than talking to amazingmembers of this forum, all I've seen is just dullness. I can't see a spark. I've been helped, but there is nothing per se to aid ''recovery''.

What's the point in have an operation if there's no after care? That may seem a bit extreme, but I'm being serious.

I'm sure many disagree with me, however I'm offended by the fact that you think my suggestions are ''off the bat'' when in actual fact, I have thought about each one carefully and have tried to put them in the most polite way possible.

ImagineRepublicCity
January 13th, 2015, 12:40 AM

I'm still struggling to see why members of the forum would become hostile and angry about competitions. If some members actually do get angry over petty things like that, then I'm actually surprised.

Well there isn't really any other tone to take your comment in lol. I don't see how my suggestions are drastic at all; they're not changing VirtualTeen very much, and I never forced you guys to apply my suggestions to any part of the forum.

All I was doing is sharing my opinions with you guys, which is what I thought the ''suggestions'' forum was all about. I had seen certain modifications on other forums in the past which were very successful, so I decided to suggest these modifications to you guys, but for some reason I'm coming off as random. I've been active for the last month or so, which to me is more than enough to make certain judgements.

I have tried to be polite and thoughtful with every suggestion that I've made, but for some reason you think that I'm just randomly coming up with things. What is the suggestion forum even for then? All I have done is simply put forwards ideas to make VT better, however I'm accused of not giving this site a shot and making drastic suggestions.

I, as someone who came on this forum to have fun, be helped, and help others, am struggling to find the 'fun' on this forum. Other than talking to amazingmembers of this forum, all I've seen is just dullness. I can't see a spark. I've been helped, but there is nothing per se to aid ''recovery''.

What's the point in have an operation if there's no after care? That may seem a bit extreme, but I'm being serious.

I'm sure many disagree with me, however I'm offended by the fact that you think my suggestions are ''off the bat'' when in actual fact, I have thought about each one carefully and have tried to put them in the most polite way possible.

Well, don't take it in a bad way. It's just that even though some of your ideas sound interesting, they don't seem to be very...(what's the word)...beneficial to the main cause of this site, to seek and give advice to other teenagers. With your currency idea, we do (I suppose) kind of have something of the sort. When you reach a certain amount of posts or if you've been on the site for an xx amount of time, you get more privileges, and even then that gets abused.

Don't take it the wrong way, but we just don't want VT to be messy and cluttered up.

fairmaiden
January 13th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Well, don't take it in a bad way. It's just that even though some of your ideas sound interesting, they don't seem to be very...(what's the word)...beneficial to the main cause of this site, to seek and give advice to other teenagers. With your currency idea, we do (I suppose) kind of have something of the sort. When you reach a certain amount of posts or if you've been on the site for an xx amount of time, you get more privileges, and even then that gets abused.

Don't take it the wrong way, but we just don't want VT to be messy and cluttered up.
Don't worry, I'm not offended by my ideas not working out lol, I'm fine with that; what I'm bothered by is the fact that imcoolbeans thinks that I'm just coming up with ideas randomly without consideration.

ImCoolBeans
January 13th, 2015, 11:10 AM

I would say the five changes you've suggested are somewhat drastic changes... Adding competitions is going to hinder that over time. We have had features in the past that, like reputation, which turned into a massive popularity contest and had to be removed. About every member who was around for the rep system will agree. If you can't understand, then I guess all I can say is sorry you don't understand.

You said it yourself, that you have not been very active, so I was just reiterating your own statement.

The point in the site, without competitions and poorly designed custom pages on every profile, is to be a supportive community where teens can come, find friends, receive help and support, and be themselves in a safe haven, which they might not have elsewhere. If you're going as far as saying that there is no point in the community because we didn't accept your suggestions, then you really don't understand what the site is all about. And I'm sorry that you feel that way.

I'm not really sure what to tell you about this becoming "hostile." All I can say is that if this does become hostile, this thread will be locked. I've replied to all of your posts, and now your public digs, and can see that this is probably not going anywhere good, so please, let's not go down that road.

fairmaiden
January 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I would say the five changes you've suggested are somewhat drastic changes... Adding competitions is going to hinder that over time. We have had features in the past that, like reputation, which turned into a massive popularity contest and had to be removed. About every member who was around for the rep system will agree. If you can't understand, then I guess all I can say is sorry you don't understand.

You said it yourself, that you have not been very active, so I was just reiterating your own statement.

The point in the site, without competitions and poorly designed custom pages on every profile, is to be a supportive community where teens can come, find friends, receive help and support, and be themselves in a safe haven, which they might not have elsewhere. If you're going as far as saying that there is no point in the community because we didn't accept your suggestions, then you really don't understand what the site is all about. And I'm sorry that you feel that way.

I'm not really sure what to tell you about this becoming "hostile." All I can say is that if this does become hostile, this thread will be locked. I've replied to all of your posts, and now your public digs, and can see that this is probably not going anywhere good, so please, let's not go down that road.
This isn't about me being ''hostile'' because you won't accept my suggestions. I'm more bothered by the fact that you think I'm just coming up with ideas randomly and not thinking about them properly.

I'm simply stating that I have seen certain modifications on other vbulletin forums, so I decided to share my suggestions with you. Simple as. I'm not telling you ''you must accept my suggestions'', of course not.

I was confused as to why members of the forum would be confrontational and angry over a competition as simple as 'write a story' or 'draw something'. But, if they fight over such petty things like that, then fine, not my problem.

I haven't had ''digs'' at you; I'm simply stating my opinion. You have had digs at me, accusing me of coming up with ideas that I hadn't thought of properly.

I don't understand why you are against members of the forum showing creativity on their own profiles, but ok then.

The only reason that I assumed that people on this forum wouldn't fight over things like Vbux and competitions, is because I have seen such modifications on forums that are filled with children as young as eight, and I haven't seen issues like that.

All I tried to do is give suggestions to make this forum more exciting, however this has turned into an argument of some kind.

And I still don't get how having a little bar at the bottom of signatures is seen as a ''drastic change''. I never demanded or ordered for any of you to use my ideas; I simply suggested them.

It is fine if you simply say ''No, we can't do that'' (or something along those lines), however I find it insulting when you say that I've come up with ideas off the bat, just to try and make your point look more valid. I personally feel that this forum usually plays a game of ''what if'' when it comes to suggestions by me and certain others who have suggested ideas.

I haven't at all personally targeted you, I have simply stated my opinion.

Horatio Nelson
January 13th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Mike has already given you his reasons for not adding your suggestions.

I'd also like to state that we do encourage members to post in the suggestions forum, but that doesn't mean we are going to say yes to every opinion or idea put forth.

fairmaiden
January 13th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Mike has already given you his reasons for not adding your suggestions.

I'd also like to state that we do encourage members to post in the suggestions forum, but that doesn't mean we are going to say yes to every opinion or idea put forth.
This isn't about me being ''hostile'' because you won't accept my suggestions. I'm more bothered by the fact that you think I'm just coming up with ideas randomly and not thinking about them properly.

I'm simply stating that I have seen certain modifications on other vbulletin forums, so I decided to share my suggestions with you. Simple as. I'm not telling you ''you must accept my suggestions'', of course not.

I've already said this multiple times.

Typhlosion
January 15th, 2015, 07:46 PM
BTW I didn't read what's above me beyond the first post.

graphic designers

Like sig shops... but with an official title or something?
Ehm?

vbux
I've also seen that there are some forums that have the 'vbux' currency. They earn vbux by posting and different things like that. They can spend the vbux on username customisations, badges, etc. Why...? Just why?

I don't see why any user should be entitled to more or less basic permissions than an other user just because they post a lot or something. That would just promote post spamming. I feel that idea would continue on to ideas with the graphic designer, like spending vbux on sigs and stuff. The name alone is very consumeristic and isn't the first thing you want to see in a forum aimed at teens.

competitions

awards
On some vbulletin forums, I noticed that their uses have like a bar below their signatures in which awards are stored. the awards were given as a gift for winning a competition.I don't see what's wrong with user-owned forum games. Those could become a thing. You could have an awarded people thread in your forum and/or add the winning title in a signature.

+ We have the VT Awards. I could agree that they could happen more frequently like twice an year (summer/winter awards?)

fairmaiden
January 15th, 2015, 08:28 PM
BTW I didn't read what's above me beyond the first post.

Like sig shops... but with an official title or something?
Ehm?

Why...? Just why?

I don't see why any user should be entitled to more or less basic permissions than an other user just because they post a lot or something. That would just promote post spamming. I feel that idea would continue on to ideas with the graphic designer, like spending vbux on sigs and stuff. The name alone is very consumeristic and isn't the first thing you want to see in a forum aimed at teens.

I don't see what's wrong with user-owned forum games. Those could become a thing. You could have an awarded people thread in your forum and/or add the winning title in a signature.

+ We have the VT Awards. I could agree that they could happen more frequently like twice an year (summer/winter awards?)
No not like sig shops, it would be a member of staff who designs awards, themes, etc. for the forum.

I've seen the vbux modification on forums for 8+ year olds and there weren't many cases of spam or fights.

Sounds good. I only suggested the awards bar because if award badges were added it would make things more organised.

maniamsmart
January 22nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
Um... well, here's how I see it. 75% of this site deals with people's emotions, feelings, problems, and people seeking for aid, help, friends, and solutions. That is the point of this site, and the admins are going to uphold that purpose of this site. By adding in bux, and points, and ranks, and competitions, that kind of... hmm, what's the word... diminishes the main purpose of this site. It would start to be less of help and advice and what I listed above, and more about... well games, and fun, and stuff like that.

To be quite frank with you, I don't see this site as fun all the time, I mean some people do just come here for fun, but that's why the Arcade is there. If you are looking to make games and competitions make them in the arcade or in a diary that you own. I mean I do see your suggestions as valid suggestions and they could be fun additions, but it's simply because of the type of people that come to this forum, and because of the purpose of this forum that it should uphold which is why your suggestions aren't going to be implemented.

This may seem harsh, but if you're looking for a forum that does what you're suggestion, it's best you head to other forums that don't focus so heavily on teenage development. As for the hostile part, no one is going to say that people will become hostile, but there are chances, and some very good chances that people may become hostile unknowingly. One thing I've learned about this forum is that some people are very sensitive, I mean, I got one of my posts removed from the cutting milestones thread in the Depression section because I said I've never cut before. Imagine people who've been bullied, never liked by anyone, and hated at school come to this site to just find out that they don't have as many bux as someone else, or someone has more points or stars. It wouldn't necessarily cause a hostile situation, but it can affect that person, in a negative way. And besides, we as humans all like to at some point in one way or another be on top of everyone else and have power, it's natural, and with rankings, and prestige, and such things, people may not use it against others, but they may think of it.

I agree with the boss here, having been part of the staff of other forums I can completely understand where he is coming from, and I think the way things are now is fine. The closest system of bux you're going to get is the thanking system which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) is being discussed because I saw it on the survey that they had posted a few weeks ago.

But yeah, your ideas aren't bad ideas, but for such a site as this one, it wouldn't be appropriate, sorry.

fairmaiden
January 23rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
Um... well, here's how I see it. 75% of this site deals with people's emotions, feelings, problems, and people seeking for aid, help, friends, and solutions. That is the point of this site, and the admins are going to uphold that purpose of this site. By adding in bux, and points, and ranks, and competitions, that kind of... hmm, what's the word... diminishes the main purpose of this site. It would start to be less of help and advice and what I listed above, and more about... well games, and fun, and stuff like that.

To be quite frank with you, I don't see this site as fun all the time, I mean some people do just come here for fun, but that's why the Arcade is there. If you are looking to make games and competitions make them in the arcade or in a diary that you own. I mean I do see your suggestions as valid suggestions and they could be fun additions, but it's simply because of the type of people that come to this forum, and because of the purpose of this forum that it should uphold which is why your suggestions aren't going to be implemented.

This may seem harsh, but if you're looking for a forum that does what you're suggestion, it's best you head to other forums that don't focus so heavily on teenage development. As for the hostile part, no one is going to say that people will become hostile, but there are chances, and some very good chances that people may become hostile unknowingly. One thing I've learned about this forum is that some people are very sensitive, I mean, I got one of my posts removed from the cutting milestones thread in the Depression section because I said I've never cut before. Imagine people who've been bullied, never liked by anyone, and hated at school come to this site to just find out that they don't have as many bux as someone else, or someone has more points or stars. It wouldn't necessarily cause a hostile situation, but it can affect that person, in a negative way. And besides, we as humans all like to at some point in one way or another be on top of everyone else and have power, it's natural, and with rankings, and prestige, and such things, people may not use it against others, but they may think of it.

I agree with the boss here, having been part of the staff of other forums I can completely understand where he is coming from, and I think the way things are now is fine. The closest system of bux you're going to get is the thanking system which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) is being discussed because I saw it on the survey that they had posted a few weeks ago.

But yeah, your ideas aren't bad ideas, but for such a site as this one, it wouldn't be appropriate, sorry.
All I was suggesting were my ideas. I thought that most people on this website wouldn't start fights over virtual currency, but apparently they would, so I don't have much to say about that.
It was my opinion that a forum that offers help does not necessarily have to focus 110% on just helping and could also focus at least 15% on making the forum more ''fun'' so that more members of the forum could get to know each other better.
Once again, I never forced nor demanded for any staff member of this forum to use my ideas, all I asked for was for them to consider it. That's it.

Imagine people who've been bullied, never liked by anyone, and hated at school come to this site to just find out that they don't have as many bux as someone else, or someone has more points or stars.
I'm not speaking for all bullied children/teens, however I have been in a situation such as the one you've described and I personally don't feel as though I would be upset and angry about someone having more of a virtual currency than me. I don't feel as if vbux would be equivalent to my self worth, however that is just me so I cannot speak for all bullying victims.
I also thought there was an option to keep vbux amounts private instead of public, that the staff could apply to all members of the forum.

maniamsmart
January 23rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
All I was suggesting were my ideas. I thought that most people on this website wouldn't start fights over virtual currency, but apparently they would, so I don't have much to say about that.

I know, and I appreciate your suggestions because I too had ideas like these but decided not to suggest them because of what I wrote in my last post. No one is also saying that these ideas will cause fights. What we are saying though is that not everyone here is 100% stable, nor 100% mature, and we want to avoid fights. Because if a fight does happen, then the staff is blamed, and we could potentially lose members. Hence, it's not that your idea is bad, nor inappropriate, rather just that we aren't confident moving forward with it.

It was my opinion that a forum that offers help does not necessarily have to focus 110% on just helping and could also focus at least 15% on making the forum more ''fun'' so that more members of the forum could get to know each other better.

And that's fine, I agree with you on that. But perhaps you're saying that the Arcade we have, or the other sections that include Hobbies, Film, Music, etc, aren't enough, while some of us feel that's already enough. If you're saying that then that's your opinion and I respect it, and maybe you haven't experienced those places of the forum yet, I am not sure yet.

Once again, I never forced nor demanded for any staff member of this forum to use my ideas, all I asked for was for them to consider it. That's it.

I know, and none of us are trying to make your ideas sound stupid, or make you feel like you don't have a say (or at least I'm not), because you do, and I do think that on forums your ideas would be awesome. I am just trying to help you understand why these ideas are more than likely not going to work on here.

I'm not speaking for all bullied children/teens, however I have been in a situation such as the one you've described and I personally don't feel as though I would be upset and angry about someone having more of a virtual currency than me. I don't feel as if vbux would be equivalent to my self worth, however that is just me so I cannot speak for all bullying victims.

I also thought there was an option to keep vbux amounts private instead of public, that the staff could apply to all members of the forum.

Now that isn't such a bad idea, to keep it private and hidden, but then raises the question, what would you be able to do with that currency? And would those things that you could do with the currency make anyone feel neglected, or negatively impact the community?

Overall, I like your idea, I really do, and I wouldn't mind working on it to make it as least negatively impacting as possible. But at the same time, as I posted in my last post with all these points, there are a lot of reasons to not include something like this, and valid reasons, and at the end of the day I am not the one who is making the decisions, I am just trying to help everyone understand. I also don't know the capabilities of vBulletin, I know the last time I administered one of those forum platforms I am not sure if those options were even available.

But, I don't think it matters anymore. Your idea of keeping it private seems reasonable and workable, and allowing users to perhaps purchase new smileys, or perhaps purchase a name color, or little trinkets like that would be really cool. But then the main question is, how negatively impactful is that towards the community, how much will it distorts from the main purpose of this forum? I don't think it would be that bad, but like I said I am not the administrator and I don't have a massive amount of experience with [I]this[I] particular community; I am still fairly somewhat new. I do hope however, you understand though where everyone is coming from and we all can understand each others' views on why this could work, and couldn't work.

fairmaiden
January 23rd, 2015, 04:46 PM
I know, and I appreciate your suggestions because I too had ideas like these but decided not to suggest them because of what I wrote in my last post. No one is also saying that these ideas will cause fights. What we are saying though is that not everyone here is 100% stable, nor 100% mature, and we want to avoid fights. Because if a fight does happen, then the staff is blamed, and we could potentially lose members. Hence, it's not that your idea is bad, nor inappropriate, rather just that we aren't confident moving forward with it.

And that's fine, I agree with you on that. But perhaps you're saying that the Arcade we have, or the other sections that include Hobbies, Film, Music, etc, aren't enough, while some of us feel that's already enough. If you're saying that then that's your opinion and I respect it, and maybe you haven't experienced those places of the forum yet, I am not sure yet.

I know, and none of us are trying to make your ideas sound stupid, or make you feel like you don't have a say (or at least I'm not), because you do, and I do think that on forums your ideas would be awesome. I am just trying to help you understand why these ideas are more than likely not going to work on here.

Now that isn't such a bad idea, to keep it private and hidden, but then raises the question, what would you be able to do with that currency? And would those things that you could do with the currency make anyone feel neglected, or negatively impact the community?

Overall, I like your idea, I really do, and I wouldn't mind working on it to make it as least negatively impacting as possible. But at the same time, as I posted in my last post with all these points, there are a lot of reasons to not include something like this, and valid reasons, and at the end of the day I am not the one who is making the decisions, I am just trying to help everyone understand. I also don't know the capabilities of vBulletin, I know the last time I administered one of those forum platforms I am not sure if those options were even available.

But, I don't think it matters anymore. Your idea of keeping it private seems reasonable and workable, and allowing users to perhaps purchase new smileys, or perhaps purchase a name color, or little trinkets like that would be really cool. But then the main question is, how negatively impactful is that towards the community, how much will it distorts from the main purpose of this forum? I don't think it would be that bad, but like I said I am not the administrator and I don't have a massive amount of experience with [I]this[I] particular community; I am still fairly somewhat new. I do hope however, you understand though where everyone is coming from and we all can understand each others' views on why this could work, and couldn't work.

I still don't see how it will distort the main purpose of this forum, as it shouldn't cause any disruption. It would still allow people to help each other and so forth, but just more creativity + the fact that people would get to know each other better through contests. If people are ''might'' start arguments, then I would see no issue in a trial period, however it's not my decision to make. I am aware now that the admins do not want these options added, and I am fine with that; however I am still standing by my opinions and thoughts on the matter.

maniamsmart
January 23rd, 2015, 04:52 PM
I still don't see how it will distort the main purpose of this forum, as it shouldn't cause any disruption. It would still allow people to help each other and so forth, but just more creativity + the fact that people would get to know each other better through contests. I am aware now that the admins do not want these options added, and I am fine with that; however I am still standing by my opinions and thoughts on the matter.

All power to you! :) Perhaps ImCoolBeans or StoppingTime could reconsider your idea of currency since they did did ask to be more specific and through our conversation here could have gotten a better insight on it.

fairmaiden
January 23rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
All power to you! :) Perhaps ImCoolBeans or StoppingTime could reconsider your idea of currency since they did did ask to be more specific and through our conversation here could have gotten a better insight on it.
Nah don't worry about it, they've made their opinions clear I suppose. :)