PDA

View Full Version : customised profiles

fairmaiden
January 8th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I saw that a few other vbulletin powered forums have customisable profiles? By customisable I mean that people have the ability to make their profile colourful; the background could be orange, the text could be black, the accents could be a lighter form of orange, etc.

Is this possible to happen on Virtual Teen? I don't know if it's a matter of coding or paying for extra features; not really familiar with the ins and outs of stuff like this. If you have to pay for it, please disregard this thread because I don't want to cost you guys money lol.

Uranus
January 8th, 2015, 07:21 PM
This does sound like a good idea.

Now don't get me wrong, of what you're saying is allowing each and every one of us, to customize our profile, and everyone who visits our profiles and sees it the way you had set it up, it may get out of hand. People can use obnoxiously bright and unmatching colors which can cause it to be very unreadable for everyone, including staff who visit for moderation reasons. If this were to happen, it would have to be very very very limited to keep it within reason.

fairmaiden
January 8th, 2015, 07:23 PM
This does sound like a good idea.

Now don't get me wrong, of what you're saying is allowing each and every one of us, to customize our profile, and everyone who visits our profiles and sees it the way you had set it up, it may get out of hand. People can use obnoxiously bright and unmatching colors which can cause it to be very unreadable for everyone, including staff who visit for moderation reasons. If this were to happen, it would have to be very very very limited to keep it within reason.
Maybe staff could make a colour scheme of 'safe colours' for users to use, so that stuff like that could be avoided, I'm not sure if that's too much for them to do though

Uranus
January 9th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Maybe staff could make a colour scheme of 'safe colours' for users to use, so that stuff like that could be avoided, I'm not sure if that's too much for them to do though

That is a fair possibility. However VT does have pre-set color themes.
A **Safe-Color** idea may work, which could prevent bright colors from being used. Such as a white font, on a yellow background, which is very difficult. I could see this happening, but with the many options, for colors, and the limitations, it may not even work. I do like your idea though. We just have to consider it may be abused by using the wrong mix of colors.

fairmaiden
January 9th, 2015, 02:30 PM
That is a fair possibility. However VT does have pre-set color themes.
A **Safe-Color** idea may work, which could prevent bright colors from being used. Such as a white font, on a yellow background, which is very difficult. I could see this happening, but with the many options, for colors, and the limitations, it may not even work. I do like your idea though. We just have to consider it may be abused by using the wrong mix of colors.
I doubt many people would constantly use colours which are distracting/too bright because they'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage as well as others lol

On the forums I've been on that have the option to customise profiles, there have been barely any people with hard-to-read profiles; the only people who had hard-to-read profiles were inactive, and no-one even went on their profile that often so people wouldn't really care about them.

In the event that someone does have a hard-to-read profile, moderators can simply edit the user's setting and revert their profile back to default

Silicate Wielder
January 10th, 2015, 12:20 AM
I doubt many people would constantly use colours which are distracting/too bright because they'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage as well as others lol

On the forums I've been on that have the option to customise profiles, there have been barely any people with hard-to-read profiles; the only people who had hard-to-read profiles were inactive, and no-one even went on their profile that often so people wouldn't really care about them.

In the event that someone does have a hard-to-read profile, moderators can simply edit the user's setting and revert their profile back to default

Yes, but that would just add on load to the moderators, not to mention in some cases it may not be possible if a user changes button color or something to match their background., I suggest users being able to create their own personal global themes using a configuration page, or by using their own CSS code, if that wont cause site security issues.

ImCoolBeans
January 10th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I really dislike the feature/modification that allows users to customize their own profiles. I have been on other sites that have it, and I think it's really unappealing to see a different, poorly made theme on every profile you click on. I think the site is much more aesthetically pleasing as it is right now, and the staff does not plan on adding this feature.

fairmaiden
January 10th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Yes, but that would just add on load to the moderators, not to mention in some cases it may not be possible if a user changes button color or something to match their background., I suggest users being able to create their own personal global themes using a configuration page, or by using their own CSS code, if that wont cause site security issues.
I don't think it would be that much of a problem; I think it's less of a problem than some people posting inappropriate threads. I don't really get what you mean by button colour; all that needs to be done is just revert all customisations to default lol.
I really dislike the feature/modification that allows users to customize their own profiles. I have been on other sites that have it, and I think it's really unappealing to see a different, poorly made theme on every profile you click on. I think the site is much more aesthetically pleasing as it is right now, and the staff does not plan on adding this feature.
Oh ok, it was worth a try anyway.

Silicate Wielder
January 10th, 2015, 10:56 PM
I don't really get what you mean by button colour; all that needs to be done is just revert all customisations to default lol.

Oh ok, it was worth a try anyway.

I mean, if users are allowed to change the color of the buttons on their profile, then they could make it difficult to spot the buttons if not imposible, depending on how it is implemented. But maybe I am over thinking things.

fairmaiden
January 11th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I mean, if users are allowed to change the color of the buttons on their profile, then they could make it difficult to spot the buttons if not imposible, depending on how it is implemented. But maybe I am over thinking things.
But couldn't the moderator go into their settings to set it all back to default so there is no hard work involved?

phuckphace
January 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM
one of the things I like about this forum is that it's pretty minimal and doesn't have a lot of shiny bojangles added on to make it more like Facebook. forums are for posting and discussion about things, and a lot of corny Web 2.0 bullshit just distracts from that. a chat room is more than enough when it comes to addons and extra features.

sorry guys but ya won't be blinging out your profiles like a 2005 Myspace with bleeding rose gifs that lag my browser to a standstill. to this I say, hell yes!

Deleted User
January 14th, 2015, 12:06 PM
sorry guys but ya won't be blinging out your profiles like a 2005 Myspace with bleeding rose gifs that lag my browser to a standstill. to this I say, hell yes!

I remember those days. Any website with the inability to do such things is better in my opinion. So... much.... glitter text.

fairmaiden
January 14th, 2015, 01:09 PM
one of the things I like about this forum is that it's pretty minimal and doesn't have a lot of shiny bojangles added on to make it more like Facebook. forums are for posting and discussion about things, and a lot of corny Web 2.0 bullshit just distracts from that. a chat room is more than enough when it comes to addons and extra features.

I remember those days. Any website with the inability to do such things is better in my opinion. So... much.... glitter text.

There would only have been solid coloured backgrounds and accents rather than gifs/patterns, but ok lol.

Typhlosion
January 15th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I doubt many people would constantly use colours which are distracting/too bright because they'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage as well as others lol Nah, some people still post in colours too bright to see in the lighter themes. Plus, it would be very easy to hide text. What looks ok-good on Forever Blue just doesn't work on other themes, sadly.

I suggest users being able to create their own personal global themes using a configuration page, or by using their own CSS code, if that wont cause site security issues. Doable with any extensions that allows to modify JS/CSS on the current page. It's *much* easier said than done, but it is doable. I've tried Stylish and it was a hassle to get very few things right. Attempting to edit theme code without a VB license is pretty impossible too. Doable.

Uranus
January 15th, 2015, 06:48 PM
If it's possible, we could get more color themes?

Elysium
January 15th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I'd just like to point out that the Bingo! theme has 9 different color options, if you didn't know. So it's pretty neat for getting different colors :P

maniamsmart
January 21st, 2015, 01:25 PM
I agree with the boss, I've been on several sites with this feature added, and some people tend to do some crazy things on their profile that really look bad... and just chaotic. It may be a very good feature for users, because it allows them to express themselves more, but I can completely understand where Mike is coming from, from an admin's point of view ensuring that the site does look neat, and welcoming, and not chaotic. I mean come on, that's why YouTube stopped allowing you to make such chaotic color themes too, because on some channels the text blended in and wasn't even readable.

Deleted User
January 21st, 2015, 02:26 PM

We already recently (okay, by that I mean within the past year and a bit, Mike can correct me if I'm wrong) got a fair number of new themes for the site so I'm not sure if there will be more added but I can't remember the details around how this happened last time. It did take some time and effort, iirc.

I'd just like to point out that the Bingo! theme has 9 different color options, if you didn't know. So it's pretty neat for getting different colors :P

This is true. I use the Bingo! theme and I actually quite like most of the colour schemes (the pink one is super cute).

fairmaiden
January 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM
I agree with the boss, I've been on several sites with this feature added, and some people tend to do some crazy things on their profile that really look bad... and just chaotic. It may be a very good feature for users, because it allows them to express themselves more, but I can completely understand where Mike is coming from, from an admin's point of view ensuring that the site does look neat, and welcoming, and not chaotic. I mean come on, that's why YouTube stopped allowing you to make such chaotic color themes too, because on some channels the text blended in and wasn't even readable.

I don't think that you can compare a website like Youtube to VT, as Youtube is visited by around a billion people each month (https://www.youtube.com/yt/press/en-GB/statistics.html) where as VT is a forum that has about 5,000 active members. If bad colour choice is what the admins are worried about, then I thought that they could have come up with a list of ''approved colours'' to avoid mass chaos.

It doesn't particularly matter now anyway, as the admins have clearly made their choice and I don't have much more to say.