PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my Portfolio

randomuser123
January 4th, 2015, 07:32 AM
I want opinions on my portfolio, which photos should I ditch - I want to condense it down eventually to 10 really good photos.

http://nerddigestive.com/photos.php

lightPainting
January 4th, 2015, 01:16 PM
your photos look good. but you need more. I saw that you said you were going to post more soon, so hopefully they will be. Also, you need to get organized with your photos.Right now it seems that all of the pictures are jumbled together in one "mess", i would suggest creating a file to put cretin photos in. Like a street-photography section or a sports section, that way its easier for people to navigate around.
hope that helps and if you have any other question, please ask (:

Deleted User
January 4th, 2015, 06:25 PM
If I'm honest, only the two musician photos have any real artistic appeal to them. Very good contrast and lighting considering you made them black and white. The composition is much better than the rest of your photos. I'd suggest taking those two and using them to further your work.

The water photo looks good enlarged but looks horrible from its thumbnail. I would suggest reverting it to its original coloured format (if one exists) and working on the contrast and colouring. Black and white simply looks dull, grainy, and uninteresting to the eye.

randomuser123
January 4th, 2015, 07:34 PM
If I'm honest, only the two musician photos have any real artistic appeal to them. Very good contrast and lighting considering you made them black and white. The composition is much better than the rest of your photos. I'd suggest taking those two and using them to further your work.

The water photo looks good enlarged but looks horrible from its thumbnail. I would suggest reverting it to its original coloured format (if one exists) and working on the contrast and colouring. Black and white simply looks dull, grainy, and uninteresting to the eye.

Thanks for the advice - those two are probably my favourites as well.

The water photo is actually in colour (if you look closely you can see the dispersion of light in the droplets), but it was taken at night with a flash (which helped to freeze it) so there is very little colour there to be seen! Would you suggest I false colour it in Photoshop, just a touch, to make it more interesting - I have some experience painting photos before?

Deleted User
January 5th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the advice - those two are probably my favourites as well.

The water photo is actually in colour (if you look closely you can see the dispersion of light in the droplets), but it was taken at night with a flash (which helped to freeze it) so there is very little colour there to be seen! Would you suggest I false colour it in Photoshop, just a touch, to make it more interesting - I have some experience painting photos before?

I noticed some colour when I looked at it again but it looks so faint that it still feels flat. I think even adding a subtle gradient and adjusting your contrast and exposure might make it pop a bit more. I'm not great at editing photos, most of what I like to shoot is raw from the camera because I learned to shoot on black and white film but anyway, play around with it and see if you can just bring out more of the photo because it's really nice, it just doesn't register right away because there's nothing to really draw your eye to it.

SethfromMI
January 8th, 2015, 08:08 AM
your photos look good. but you need more. I saw that you said you were going to post more soon, so hopefully they will be. Also, you need to get organized with your photos.Right now it seems that all of the pictures are jumbled together in one "mess", i would suggest creating a file to put cretin photos in. Like a street-photography section or a sports section, that way its easier for people to navigate around.
hope that helps and if you have any other question, please ask (:

I agree. if you are planning on showing this for a job, school, etc. they are going to want to see more samples. it would also look nicer and be more helpful for them to have possibly different categories. still, the photos themselves look very nice

amybah
February 3rd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Beautiful