PDA

View Full Version : The ability to delete visitor messages

SethfromMI
December 31st, 2014, 11:04 AM
Unless there is a way I am missing, I think we should be allowed to delete visitor messages on our profile or ones we posted on another profile.

phuckphace
December 31st, 2014, 11:10 AM
so much this. *signs petition*

Uranus
December 31st, 2014, 11:17 AM
I think it is a good idea. Although I am not sure if there is an add on for this.
It would be a good idea. Sometimes there are offensive VM's, and I had to report one not too long ago. But it is a good idea, in case moderators are not online. And since it's our own profile I believe we should be able to moderate our VM's. However you can just put the user on your ignore list. Overall ~ good idea Seth

phuckphace
December 31st, 2014, 11:24 AM
there's no need for an add-on, the admins would only need to adjust permissions for the regular usergroup. I remember asking before why we can't edit VMs and was told it's because there's no way to view edit history, but that won't be a problem here since soft-deleted VMs can still be viewed by the staff. less' do diss

Elysium
December 31st, 2014, 11:25 AM
I don't remember the official reason for why it is the way it is and I don't claim to, but I'm against this. We don't want users getting away with backseat moderating others or skirting the rules themselves. We would rather you report a VM so that we can handle it properly.

Uranus
December 31st, 2014, 11:32 AM
I don't remember the official reason for why it is the way it is and I don't claim to, but I'm against this. We don't want users getting away with backseat moderating others or skirting the rules themselves. We would rather you report a VM so that we can handle it properly.

Yea but alot of us moderate member forum diaries, and we would have more power in just a diary, then we would by simply removing a VM. Not edit like change what they say or anything like that, but simply remove it. That's all it is. I see your point, but ((No disrespect)) your argument doesn't have a good foundation. Your saying that we shouldn't be able to backseat moderate our VM's, but we can already delete threads and posts within diaries. I recently removed two threads from my diary, and they were inappropriate. I hope you see my point. Maybe we can have certain requirements to be allowed to remove VM's. Like 3 months member, 150+ posts, etcetera

phuckphace
December 31st, 2014, 11:40 AM

and how exactly would the ability to delete VMs on one's own profile aid in "skirting the rules"? all users would remain accountable for all messages they send, as long as we're talking soft-deletion only and without the ability to edit. the report system wouldn't go anywhere, we can still use it.

as for the backseat moderating bit, deleting VMs off your own profile doesn't seem like something that even needs a good reason or any reason at all, since it's your own profile and yada yada. diary owners can delete any post in their diary but not VMs on their own profiles? VT pls.

ComfortableInChaos
December 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
and how exactly would the ability to delete VMs on one's own profile aid in "skirting the rules"? all users would remain accountable for all messages they send, as long as we're talking soft-deletion only and without the ability to edit. the report system wouldn't go anywhere, we can still use it.

as for the backseat moderating bit, deleting VMs off your own profile doesn't seem like something that even needs a good reason or any reason at all, since it's your own profile and yada yada. diary owners can delete any post in their diary but not VMs on their own profiles? VT pls.

I actually agree with you. If it's on your profile for anyone to see, it should be your choice as to whether or not it stays there.

ImCoolBeans
December 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
For example, Seth, and Phuck, lets say a conversation like this goes down in a thread about comparing.

User 1: Hey thanks for replying! I was wondering if you would like to chat. If so, I can't pm people yet, so maybe we can chat over email.
User 2: um sure. I will put it on your public messages on your profile. after you copy it, I will need you to delete it though. fair enough?
User 1: Fair enough

I would say that would is pretty dodgy, and shouldn't be able to happen.

azure moonstone
December 31st, 2014, 12:25 PM
The situation Mike is talking about above is pretty much the reason why we can't have this. Since offsite contact info isn't allowed publicly through posts or messages (or inappropriate sexual messages as well), it would be incredibly easy to get around this if we allowed everyone to delete their own visitor messages.

ComfortableInChaos
December 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Since offsite contact info isn't allowed publicly through posts or messages

Funny that you mention this, although we can have our Skype and AIM accounts on here so... Doesn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of what you're saying?

SethfromMI
December 31st, 2014, 12:46 PM
ok, but in that situation it was a harmless mistake. and I did post my email on someone else profile. I was given an unofficial warning (which again I have no problems with. I understand what I did and fully intended on not making the same mistake again) but what if it was an innocent mistake (like mine was)? shouldn't we be able to delete it once we realized it (like I did not long after I posted it)? and if someone posts something to our profile we do not like, shouldn't we have the right to say if it should stay or go?

ImCoolBeans
December 31st, 2014, 12:58 PM
You do have the right to say if it goes or not, just report it and it will be deleted rather quickly, without question. Giving moderator permissions to all users isn't a good idea, and is also asking the staff to do a lot more work, because we would have to go through all of the deleted VMs, and see what their content was, and if they're rule breaking we would have to also handle that.

Funny that you mention this, although we can have our Skype and AIM accounts on here so... Doesn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of what you're saying?

This rule is in place for the safety of younger members. If you really want to post your contact info on your public profile, then you can, but we don't want members posting it all over other peoples profiles, where more people will see it. We encourage people to only share their contact information privately, if they're going to share it online at all.

phuckphace
December 31st, 2014, 01:15 PM
For example, Seth, and Phuck, lets say a conversation like this goes down in a thread about comparing.

User 1:
User 2:
User 1:

I would say that would is pretty dodgy, and shouldn't be able to happen.

or they could just do what everyone else does and spam generic single-sentence posts until 100 and then swap digits/email/dick pics/etc through PM. this goes on every day right under yall's noses and they even make it easy for you, the sigs usually say something like "14 and bi, PM me" as if it isn't plainly obvious what their intentions are.

tl;dr if that happens then just bring down the banhammer and move on

ImCoolBeans
December 31st, 2014, 01:21 PM
or they could just do what everyone else does and spam generic single-sentence posts until 100 and then swap digits/email/dick pics/etc through PM. this goes on every day right under yall's noses and they even make it easy for you, the sigs usually say something like "14 and bi, PM me" as if it isn't plainly obvious what their intentions are.

We can only do our best to stop it as much as we possibly can. I'm just pointing out that allowing this will already make that much worse, and will create more work for the staff, distracting us from our main goal, which is to prevent what you're describing.

ComfortableInChaos
December 31st, 2014, 01:40 PM

Which is why I think it should be lowered to 50 or 75 but that's a whole other thread...

phuckphace
December 31st, 2014, 09:32 PM
if we're allowing/disallowing features based on some hypothetical potential for abuse then you might as well disable the entire forum. prophylactic measures are all well and good up to a point, but they can only go so far. I have every confidence that the staff will have no trouble cracking down on abuse as it occurs, if they can find the time to delete a quarter of my posts it's very possible.

xXl0sth0peXx
December 31st, 2014, 09:47 PM
It would be impossible to moderate the VM system this way. It'd basically be a free for all, and you'd be surprised how many VMs with dodgy information or attempts go through each day. Mike's 'hypothetical' situation would happen more often than you think. Allowing the deletion of VMs would be way more harmful than not, and as was stated, it would make our job on staff much harder, and near impossible. We have no edit history on VMs the way we do on posts, so we wouldn't know even if we did allow deletion and edits (I believe you can't have one and not the other, but I'm not 100% sure on that) and whatnot. That's even harder. I'm sorry, but as nice as this would be (and coming from a noob who posted vm to her own page and requested deletion, believe me, I know) it just can't happen for safety.

ImCoolBeans
January 1st, 2015, 02:38 AM
if we're allowing/disallowing features based on some hypothetical potential for abuse then you might as well disable the entire forum. prophylactic measures are all well and good up to a point, but they can only go so far. I have every confidence that the staff will have no trouble cracking down on abuse as it occurs, if they can find the time to delete a quarter of my posts it's very possible.

That's pretty extreme. I think you're just trying to prove your point, but ok.

ImagineRepublicCity
January 2nd, 2015, 12:17 AM
I believe what the admins are trying to say here is that allowing it will most likely serve more harms than good. Honestly, as Val said, a lot of dodgy stuff comes around in VT, and as soon as I think "Deleting VMs," I can already think of "Contact info, contact info, contact info."
It honestly won't kill you if you can't delete VMs, and surely if you really wanted it deleted you can ask one of us but it's really not worth it.

Sir Enigma
January 3rd, 2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah, users deleting VM's? Really really bad idea.
I would like if you could tell a mod/admin what VM's you want to be erased after certain time, lets say a month. Then you just tag em and the administrator goes through em and decides which ones to erase.
Sorry if I said something someone already said, I didnt want to go through every single post.
Also, to the extreme guy:
The purpose of this forum is to provide a safe enviorment for individuals with issues or extra time. The fact that sometimes thats a bad idea (safe enviorment) is up to debate (admins, i admire your work and mean nothing by this, I can argument anything and all I say), but its a purpose of this forum. Its why it was created. That is why potential abuse shouldnt be taken lightly.
Anyways, you said the staff could go through em more frequently.
Right. remember they arent paid to do it, and its hard to do. Trust me i was a moderator and an admin on some forums and I know how its like. Its tiresome, especially since you arent paid for it.

Anyways, that'll be all from me

Body odah Man
January 3rd, 2015, 12:51 PM
I guess I agree