PDA

View Full Version : Which natural disaster is coolest?

Thunderstorm
December 27th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Just wondering. I want to see a tornado, but we don't get them here in NY very often. I love hurricanes though.

PinkFloyd
December 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I really want to see a tornado. They've always intrigued me.

Typhlosion
December 27th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Blizzard. Can't get any cooler than that

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2glasses.JPG
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2011/08/csi.jpg

Karkat
December 27th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Blizzard. Can't get any cooler than that

image (http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2glasses.JPG)
image (http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2011/08/csi.jpg)

Oh you :P

---

I'm personally terrified by all of these, but a wildfire seems like it'd be the coolest to watch. That, or a tornado.

Uranus
December 27th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Every natural disaster all at once in a big clump.

Now that's a real fuckin natural disaster I'd like to see!

azure moonstone
December 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I suppose I might find some of these disasters "cool" if I didn't live through one, and see people I knew have their homes damaged and destroyed.

Sorry, not cool.

Horatio Nelson
December 27th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I suppose I might find some of these disasters "cool" if I didn't live through one, and see people I knew have their homes damaged and destroyed.

Sorry, not cool.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

There is nothing cool about people dying sudden tragic deaths.

eli_w
December 27th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Sorry, not cool.

People talk about which guns/cars/etc are coolest all the time, all of which kill tons of people all the time

Natural disasters are just inevitable events in the cycles of nature, and they can certainly be interesting and exciting to witness/study/examine, hence there being tons of tornado chasers out there and similar professions

That being said, I think sandstorms are badass.. So massive and epic

PkVLIDtPhK0

JoeDangit
December 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Definitely a tsunami.

Always wanted to surf a tsunami.

SethfromMI
December 27th, 2014, 07:55 PM
if no one had to die or no one last their property and stuff, a hurricane/tsunami. I seen a tornado before here in the midwest, not one of the larger ones (there is a scale)

edit: is blizzard really up there? we usually just call that Winter around here

phuckphace
December 27th, 2014, 08:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

this shit's gonna happen in our lifetime. I cannot WAIT for the look on millennials' faces when their gay iToys explode and their Cheetos and pizza stops magically appearing on store shelves. dis gon b gud

Babs
December 27th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I'm very fascinated by tornadoes, and always have been. I actually have a lot of dreams involving tornadoes, all of which are surprisingly pleasant.

Thunderstorm
December 27th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Every natural disaster all at once in a big clump.

Now that's a real fuckin natural disaster I'd like to see!

As fascinating as that sounds, if that were to happen, hopefully it happens in an uninhabited region!

Sorry, not cool.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

There is nothing cool about people dying sudden tragic deaths.

We've all lived through many natural disasters. I lived through Hurricane Sandy, we had 10 days without school (as great as that sounds, it was boring as hell), and, unfortunately, a couple of deaths. However, most were warranted and people who should not have been out in the storm. That's risking your own life, something that can be prevented and are anything but sudden. Natural disasters can be deadly, however that does not prevent people like me and many others to be intrigued by them. Don't yuck someone else's yum.

People talk about which guns/cars/etc are coolest all the time, all of which kill tons of people all the time

Natural disasters are just inevitable events in the cycles of nature, and they can certainly be interesting and exciting to witness/study/examine, hence there being tons of tornado chasers out there and similar professions

That being said, I think sandstorms are badass.. So massive and epic

PkVLIDtPhK0

Sandstorms seem pretty cool! However, there's very few climates those will occur in, unfortunately :(

azure moonstone
December 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM

We've all lived through many natural disasters. I lived through Hurricane Sandy, we had 10 days without school (as great as that sounds, it was boring as hell), and, unfortunately, a couple of deaths. However, most were warranted and people who should not have been out in the storm. That's risking your own life, something that can be prevented and are anything but sudden. Natural disasters can be deadly, however that does not prevent people like me and many others to be intrigued by them. Don't yuck someone else's yum.

I did not really want to respond again, until now.

I'm sorry, but I am going to yuck at your yum all I want to.

Not something I really like to talk about, but I lived in southern Louisiana when Hurricane Katrina came through. I saw some of my friends lose their homes, and all of their possessions. I also saw almost half of the streets of my town underwater at one point. My mom, my brother, and I were forced to flee to Arkansas and stay there while my town was being battered.

Marvel all you want at the natural disasters - but yeah, on a personal level...I don't think this is "cool."

Thunderstorm
December 27th, 2014, 10:54 PM
I did not really want to respond again, until now.

I'm sorry, but I am going to yuck at your yum all I want to.

Not something I really like to talk about, but I lived in southern Louisiana when Hurricane Katrina came through. I saw some of my friends lose their homes, and all of their possessions. I also saw almost half of the streets of my town underwater at one point. My mom, my brother, and I were forced to flee to Arkansas and stay there while my town was being battered.

Marvel all you want at the natural disasters - but yeah, on a personal level...I don't think this is "cool."

I'm sorry for what you have gone through. I feel for you.
Of course, this must mean I've been through absolutely nothing and must stop thinking natural disasters are cool, right? No.
I think natural disasters are fascinating, from a severe thunderstorm to a category five hurricane. No, I am not a "lunatic", but rather someone who aspires to be a meteorologist and maybe help people one day get prepared for major disasters.

azure moonstone
December 27th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry for what you have gone through. I feel for you.
Of course, this must mean I've been through absolutely nothing and must stop thinking natural disasters are cool, right? No.
I think natural disasters are fascinating, from a severe thunderstorm to a category five hurricane. No, I am not a "lunatic", but rather someone who aspires to be a meteorologist and maybe help people one day get prepared for major disasters.

Good luck to you, and I hope you are successful with what you study.

I am sorry that we agree to disagree here. However, I think I should be able to give my opinion on this topic (natural disasters) from personal experience without pretty much being told I am petty. I can see where people would like the discussion, but it triggers horrible memories for me.

cami
December 28th, 2014, 05:16 AM
i wouldn't call them "cool". to some people they're "interesting" maybe, but cool is completely diferent imo.
i hope you can see a tornado from REALLY CLOSE soon, good luck.

Hideous
December 28th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I'd say a hurricane. Broken fences, flipped some cars, trees flying, people gripping onto the pole for dear life and idk why they're not inside jfc.

twirlgurl
December 28th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Most interesting for me is Tsunami. Those things amaze the hell out of me.

For those what want to see a Tornado - watch youtube. Honest. Thats as close as you want to be. Its SCARY has hell. Where I live, if you can SEE it, then you arent where you should be (in a shelter or underground). They are VERY loud, it makes everything rattle like crazy, you hear things breaking, and tearing, and crashing all around you and you never know if your going to get sucked into one (which is actually rare, but it happens). Remember, people that get sucked into a tornado are often alive UNTIL they are thrown to the ground a mile or two away. Or they get shredded. Imagine that kind of death? yeeeesh. Not for me.

Still, when the tornado sirens go off, lots of people run outside looking for it or are texting each other. "Where, where is it? do you see it?? lol the contradiction is pretty funny. its really REALLY scary when they happen at night and you cant see anything.

James Dean
December 29th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Have to be an earthquake because as long as you stay in a safe place and act smart it won't end nasty. They are so common here.

I would hate any type of water related disaster and tornadoes and twisters look scary so glad I don't live in those areas.

Country Cowboy
December 30th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I don't know if you'd call a volcano a natural disaster but I think witnessing one (and surviving) would be pretty cool
Where I live though, the only natural disaster here is wildfire

Thunderstorm
December 31st, 2014, 11:24 AM
I don't know if you'd call a volcano a natural disaster but I think witnessing one (and surviving) would be pretty cool
Where I live though, the only natural disaster here is wildfire

Volcanoes are a natural disaster and they definitely are cool!

kartik
December 31st, 2014, 03:24 PM
Lucky that never experienced such disasters

Babiole
January 1st, 2015, 02:14 PM
Volcano eruptions are really cool.

BlackParadePixie
January 5th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I think tornados are cool to look at, but they scare the crap out of me.

TheN3rdyOutcast
January 5th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Volcano Eruption, they spew molten rock out into the air, and are the reason for most island formations. It's a natural disaster that can sometimes be a blessing in disguise.

Princess4Life
January 5th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Hurricane and blizzard

the main man
January 19th, 2015, 09:53 PM
volcanic eruption…duh:confused:

Saint of Sinners
January 22nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
Other. Comet impact is natural...right? :D

Daniella98
January 23rd, 2015, 05:35 AM
When its about the coolest disaster, Id go for tornado because theres something to look at.
But if it was about breath taking disaster, then an earthquake would do it

CanadianJake
January 23rd, 2015, 07:33 AM
I noticed this topic was a little touchy for some as in bringing bad memories but for some others it's the science/thrill that fascinates people. Of course I would never want to see people die because of a natural disaster, that sort of thing is way off the table. I've noticed storm chasers for example, when a tornado hits a town and leaves deadly destruction they stop chasing and help out to rescue people in need. However in my opinion I think Tornadoes are awesome, yes they are horrible and cause major destruction and also kills many people but the science behind the Tornado and how it works fascinates me. I've always wanted to go storm chasing some day and hope I will. Either way I go with Tornadoes.

Unknwn
January 23rd, 2015, 09:39 AM
When I first began reading, I found books on natural disasters to be super fascinating! Living in Chicago, I think the worst we've had, or at least from what I've experienced, is like Thunderstorms in the Summer or Blizzards in the Winter. I've always wanted to see a Tornado or Waterspout in real life! I'll probably be super scared if I do one day, but I've always thought Tornadoes were pretty cool. Same with hurricanes or other disasters.
I think it's pretty cool to just observe and study them.

Deleted User
January 24th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Yeah, "cool" is not the word I'd use. Scientifically fascinating but not cool. Actually, they're all equally terrifying and I've lived through several tornadoes and witnessed a couple earthquakes.

Hurricanes are my favourite to study but would by no means ever want to witness one first hand.

They all give me nightmares anyway.

Dennis98
January 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Hurricane ...

Thunderstorm
January 24th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Yeah, "cool" is not the word I'd use. Scientifically fascinating but not cool. Actually, they're all equally terrifying and I've lived through several tornadoes and witnessed a couple earthquakes.

Hurricanes are my favourite to study but would by no means ever want to witness one first hand.

They all give me nightmares anyway.

I witnessed a hurricane first hand...Sandy. No power for one week! My Aunt was out for two weeks! God forbid that happens again but the wind was sick.

Abyssal Echo
January 29th, 2015, 11:16 AM
I agree with Carmilla none of them are cool at all I've been through a couple of earth quakes...that was no fun. watched a neighbors barn destroyed by a tornado no doubt he didn't think it was cool. if you want to be a weather chaser and or study them that would be cool.

cookiemonstermatt
January 29th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Blizzard duh! :)