PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a small room pet, not sure what?

Baconator
December 14th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I am a 17 year old male, living with my parents and currently have 3 dogs and a cat, none of which are "my" animals, more or less my parent's/sister's. I have been wanting to get a small pet for my room for a while. I've had a history of small pets such as birds, a rabbit, a few hamsters, a turtle and some lizards.

I am thinking along the lines of a furry pet such as a rabbit, or possibly a scaley such as a chameleon. I am looking for a pet that isn't small, but isn't large. I want one that I can let loose in my room and not have them slip under the door. I liked the rabbit when I was young and I am thinking about another one but I know that they can grow to 20lbs or larger, so I don't know if that's a room pet. I've also been thinking about a hedgehog. I'm open to exotic animals.

As for time spent in my room, I am still a full time highschool student and I have a part time job. Most of the week I am in my room and can take care of them. About 2-3 days I won't be home all day except for certain points such as an hour or so.

With that being said, I do have a job and can support a small animal in my own care and my parents don't mind if I have a small pet.

Any ideas on what pet would best suit me?

SethfromMI
December 14th, 2014, 11:48 AM
rabbits can get bigger than what most people realize. a chameleon is not a bad idea, they do not require tons of attention so you can leave it, but can take it out when you are there

Luminous
December 14th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I say rabbit or hedgehog. They're both absolutely adorable and I've known people who have had both. Rabbits do get bigger than most people think, but they can easily be kept in your room only. Both rabbits and hedgehogs like to get of their cages and crawl around on you, it's really sweet. Hedgehogs won't hurt you, contrary to popular belief. Most of the time you can painlessly pet them. I had a friend whose hedgehog liked to crawl around on my shoulders.

Typhlosion
December 15th, 2014, 10:17 PM
A ferret!

http://i.giphy.com/gMwvloZh8EUfu.gif

Karkat
December 15th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Ferrets, chinchillas (though they can be pricey), and rabbits can all run free, however they will chew on things. You also have to make sure to read up on how to train them to be a cageless/roaming pet, what they can/can't eat etc. (You should know the drill here), and honestly, with cats and dogs in the house, if highly recommend caging/fencing them off while you're away so they don't get harmed.

Baconator
December 15th, 2014, 10:36 PM
My uncle had a ferret and the thing smelled up the house. Plus my uncle is the outcast of our family so getting a ferret is like me declaring that I am going to be under his wing :/

Karkat
December 16th, 2014, 12:42 AM
so getting a ferret is like me declaring that I am going to be under his wing :/

Your family sounds... Rational and pleasant

Baconator
December 16th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Your family sounds... Rational and pleasant

Lol ikr

Uranus
December 16th, 2014, 10:56 AM
A ferret is a good idea! So is a rabbit.
You can also try a small dog, there's plenty of small sized dogs.
Or get a parrot!!! They can be very entertaining

hockeyfan
December 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Small turtles match ur description.

Hideous
December 17th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Tortoises :P

richiex
December 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I have dust bunnies under my bed lol

ComfortableInChaos
December 20th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Ferrets, chinchillas (though they can be pricey), and rabbits can all run free, however they will chew on things. You also have to make sure to read up on how to train them to be a cageless/roaming pet, what they can/can't eat etc. (You should know the drill here), and honestly, with cats and dogs in the house, if highly recommend caging/fencing them off while you're away so they don't get harmed.

I'd say not to get a chinchilla, those are endangered :/

TheLoneWolf
December 20th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Pet rats!
I've got 3 pet rats and they're truly amazing :D They're like miniature dogs. They run loose in my room, they come to me when I call them and they like to cuddle.
If you clean their cage often you won't smell them.

If you plan on getting a rabbit, DON'T GET JUST ONE. Please just don't! Rabbits need to have a friend. SAME FOR THE RATS. Don't get one rat or one rabbit, they'll likely die of lonelieness.

You could keep 2 ferrets, but they're usually pretty smelly and destroy a lot of things. Rats are a lot cleaner.

Biggest difference between rats and rabbits is that rats actually enjoy human attention, rabbits will most likely not.

You can always send me a message if you need more information on pet rats! :D
If you buy pet rats, just make sure to get a big cage, plenty of toys and lots of love.

Also, don't buy rodents or rabbits at a pet store. Always get them from a breeder.

Good luck!

BDOG
December 20th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Get a Leopard Gecko, they are easy to raise :)

Babs
December 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
As a rabbit owner, I'm a bit bias but yeah get a rabbit pls. Just do lots of research and know what kind of care they require before getting one! That should be obvious but there are so many people that get a rabbit thinking they require the maintenance of a dog or cat, and expect them to act like one, but they're very unique animals. It's not difficult to take care of them, but it's more complicated than a cat would be.
But yeah, I vote for a rabbit.