PDA

View Full Version : I come to you begging for any help

CosmicNoodle
December 12th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding a ATV (quad bike) with a 125cc engine.

It's been sitting for 5 years unused, and I'm doing ANYTHING I can to get it to start, I rebuilt the carb, I took the top of the engine apart to un-seize it, I checked for spark, cleaned out the hole fuel system, checked the compression, changed the oil, rebuild the gear box and starter motor, and no matter how much I turn it over, IT WILL NOT START! There is NO mechanical reason it shouldn't start, everything is perfect, but it just wont start, it turns over fine, and every now and then it will sputter and cough but it wont catch.

Anyone have any ideas to get a stubborn motor to start? If I can get it to run once it'll be fine, just getting it to run again after half a decade of decay

Kacey
December 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Let's see...
It will turn over. That's good.
It will start to run. Also good.
But it won't continue to run. Not that good.

A few things I can suggest:
Different octane of gas. I can't explain why, but sometimes this works
Try it with the choke on (if you can turn it on manually)
Maybe try spraying it with ether? Not sure about that though...
If all else fails, hit it gently as hard as you can with a hammer.

But seriously, I see little reason the first couple suggestions shouldn't work.
The engine may just be shot. Who knows...

LifeOfLove
December 13th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Double check for spark and fuel actually arriving to their proper places. Also make sure your spark plug(s?) are still good.

It's likely a simple issue that's causing it not to go. Could also be as simple as air/fuel mixture.

Plane And Simple
December 13th, 2014, 04:12 AM
I go with not enough fuel flow. Did you drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it?

Also, could you film a video so I can hear?

Uranus
December 13th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Me and my dad had a similar problem with our older lawn mower.
It would turn over and start to sputter and then die.

What we did was check the air filter(I believe). This also with a neighbors car that was doing the same thing. We sprayed the air filter(and/or put a little bit of gasoline, I believe, I'll check with dad when he's awake) and it was starting and started but then died. We kept doing it to the air filter and it eventually started.

CosmicNoodle
December 13th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Let's see...
It will turn over. That's good.
It will start to run. Also good.
But it won't continue to run. Not that good.

A few things I can suggest:
Different octane of gas. I can't explain why, but sometimes this works
Try it with the choke on (if you can turn it on manually)
Maybe try spraying it with ether? Not sure about that though...
If all else fails, hit it gently as hard as you can with a hammer.

But seriously, I see little reason the first couple suggestions shouldn't work.
The engine may just be shot. Who knows...

Tried it with everything, even 2 stroke gas, nothing worked

Double check for spark and fuel actually arriving to their proper places. Also make sure your spark plug(s?) are still good.

It's likely a simple issue that's causing it not to go. Could also be as simple as air/fuel mixture.

Checked the spark, more info at bottom of thread

I go with not enough fuel flow. Did you drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it?

Also, could you film a video so I can hear?

Plenty of fuel flow, obviously I added fresh gas, I'm not going to use 5 year old gas now am I, I do know what I'm doing...sort off.

I'll get on making a video explaining it all tomorrow and what's up with it.

Me and my dad had a similar problem with our older lawn mower.
It would turn over and start to sputter and then die.

What we did was check the air filter(I believe). This also with a neighbors car that was doing the same thing. We sprayed the air filter(and/or put a little bit of gasoline, I believe, I'll check with dad when he's awake) and it was starting and started but then died. We kept doing it to the air filter and it eventually started.

This vehicle has NO air filter...yup....good old Chinese build quality.

Extra info
I figured out what was up with it, the starting solenoid is FUCKED, it was working very temperamentally, that's why when I checked the spark I thought it was working, but since then, the solenoid has given up the ghost (it died). So I'm like 80% sure that's why it's not working, it explains why it didn't ant to start and when it did, that it died soon after, so I need a new starting solenoid, thankfully they only cost 2.75.

I'm doing an awful lot of hard work to fix SOMEONE ELSE'S quad, that I'm not even getting paid for. I've electrocuted myself, burnt myself, got chemicals in my eyes, been crushed by the thing when it fell off the jack, and to top it off I had to spend MY OWN money to buy carb cleaner and fuel line. They better damn well be thankful once I get this piece of Chinese crap running again.

Uranus
December 13th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I have no idea what could be the problem, unfortunately. All I can say.....it's broken

CosmicNoodle
December 13th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I have no idea what could be the problem, unfortunately. All I can say.....it's broken

You don't read much you you, Tom...
The "extra info" part of my reply explains that I figured out exactly what was wrong with it.

Uranus
December 13th, 2014, 09:21 PM
You don't read much you you, Tom...
The "extra info" part of my reply explains that I figured out exactly what was wrong with it.

Oh I do, J.(Haha! New nickname!)
The starting solenoid is BROKEN.

Michael75
December 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM
if all else fails, bate the clean shite out of it with a hammer...

boringkid
December 15th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Beating it with a hammer is always the best way :)

Uranus
December 15th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Beating it with a hammer is always the best way :)

This reminds me of the good ol' "Kick it till it works" method!
Anyways hope you get it up and running soon, Joe! You deserve to have it for a month with what you went through. Also how's your hand doing?

mrmee
December 16th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Tell him only to run 93 octane through it next time. Then shit wont fuck up the solenoid.

CosmicNoodle
December 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM
This reminds me of the good ol' "Kick it till it works" method!
Anyways hope you get it up and running soon, Joe! You deserve to have it for a month with what you went through. Also how's your hand doing?

I went to a doctor, I have to fairly bad burns, and he thinks I might have a small hole going all the way from one burn to the other where it singed the flesh with the heat, but that was only a possibility if it kept hurting, which it hasn't, so the chances of the burn through the hand is small,s o I'll just be left with two small burn scars (maybe)

Tell him only to run 93 octane through it next time. Then shit wont fuck up the solenoid.

93 octane won't fuck up a solenoid...you don't seem to know how an internal combustion engine works...
A solenoid is part of the electrical system, unrelated to the burning of fuel, also, I've been trying it with 93 anyway. Could be worse, I once ran this very engine using 62 octane (I could only find that in Austria, it had NO power and it hated starting)

Update:
I managed to get it to start! I had to rebuild the hole electrical system, I've found out that there was no continuity in the ground wire, somehow, the wire had split inside the wire, but not broken the rubber sleeve, making a broke wire, seem like a working wire (if that makes sense) So I replaced the wire, and added a new ignition coil, and it JUST about started. After I ran it hard for an hour or so it was running like a dream. But it needs new tires and a seal for the carb, but it's almost done.