PDA

View Full Version : New Section?

Uranus
December 10th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I think we could use a new section here on VT. One dedicated to traveling and vacation/trips. I understand we can probably have some threads in TWPR, or Planes, Trains, And Automobiles, but some threads won't fit into either of the two categories. Some threads such as, (not current ones, just as an example) "Where Have You Traveled To?" Or "Where Was Your Last Vacation Spot At", ect, ect. Forgive me if if there is already a category/section already here on VT, but I haven't seen one. I believe it would be a great addition to VT because alot of members here have traveled quite often. What do you think, mods?

azure moonstone
December 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I'm not really sure how much more you can expand on that than some of the examples you have stated. Labeling it "Travel" would be severely limiting it. I could possibly see a "World of VT" kind of a thing where others could talk not only about vacations and trips, but also about the geography, culture, art, etc or different areas of the world (their own cities, countries, or surroundings....or anywhere else that interested them).

Even with all that, I'm still not sure how much traffic or interest it would generate. I'm open to a much broader geography/culture forum than just one about vacations, though.

I'm interested to see feedback from all of VT on this - members and staff both.

Uranus
December 10th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I'm not really sure how much more you can expand on that than some of the examples you have stated. Labeling it "Travel" would be severely limiting it. I could possibly see a "World of VT" kind of a thing where others could talk not only about vacations and trips, but also about the geography, culture, art, etc or different areas of the world (their own cities, countries, or surroundings....or anywhere else that interested them).

Even with all that, I'm still not sure how much traffic or interest it would generate. I'm open to a much broader geography/culture forum than just one about vacations, though.

I'm interested to see feedback from all of VT on this - members and staff both.

You know that is a great idea! Not just traveling or something like that, but maybe a category labeled (Like The White Padded Room, for example) "The World", "The World Of VT", as you have pointed out. But a category such as those seems like a good idea in my opinion. And when I said "travel" I didn't mean for it to be a category name but a thread for example. Anyways I think it is a good idea, whether or not it will get traffic or not. But the only way to know is by making it, I guess. It can't really hurt vt so lol :P

xXl0sth0peXx
December 10th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure if I'm in favor for a whole separate forum. I think if we had this and then the planes trains automobiles forum, it'd just be a little bit too much. I'd be all for the possibility of renaming it, possibly "Transportation and Travel" or something like that, but I really don't think we need two forums like this. While they are different yeah, they share enough similarities. I don't know for say what anyone else thinks, but I'd be for a rename of the existing forum.

Luminous
December 10th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I like the idea (more so the world one, not just travel) but I just think it's too excessive. Like Val said, maybe we should rename Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? I think it's a good idea but a whole new forum is just too much.

azure moonstone
December 10th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I may agree that it might not be enough for its own forum, though that's debatable because it could get a lot of different threads about art, culture, geography, etc.

I disagree with combining it with the transportation forum, though. To me, they are two completely different things. By combining them, you'll have threads about motorcycles and the newest truck in the same forum as Bermuda and a discussion about the culture of an Asian country. I don't think that makes sense.

Uranus
December 10th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I like the idea (more so the world one, not just travel) but I just think it's too excessive. Like Val said, maybe we should rename Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? I think it's a good idea but a whole new forum is just too much.

I'm not sure if I'm in favor for a whole separate forum. I think if we had this and then the planes trains automobiles forum, it'd just be a little bit too much. I'd be all for the possibility of renaming it, possibly "Transportation and Travel" or something like that, but I really don't think we need two forums like this. While they are different yeah, they share enough similarities. I don't know for say what anyone else thinks, but I'd be for a rename of the existing forum.

I see what you are saying. And now that I think about it, Hannah has a good point on it being too much for VT. It does seem rather packed in the main forums page. I like your idea, Val. Renaming the "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles" section to "Transportation And Travel". I really like that idea, because what it currently is now, is based on the forms of transportation itself and not going to places and traveling. I'm in favor for a renaming and some editing.

Karkat
December 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I really like Ali's idea!

Uranus
December 10th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I may agree that it might not be enough for its own forum, though that's debatable because it could get a lot of different threads about art, culture, geography, etc.

I disagree with combining it with the transportation forum, though. To me, they are two completely different things. By combining them, you'll have threads about motorcycles and the newest truck in the same forum as Bermuda and a discussion about the culture of an Asian country. I don't think that makes sense.

I see your point and it may be very confusing for members having both threads about a new car, and then a completely different thread about "My Trip To New York" or something of the sort. I think depending on what would go into the *possible(?)* new forum it may get some decent traffic. And if not its not like it's hurting VT. It could probably have traveling, geography, land, ECT. And possible debates/stories geographical information. Stories such as ones about Atlantis for example. Basically anything that has to do with this earth, within reason.

I think maybe we could have a public vote in The White Padded Room? A temporary sticky poll thread posted by the administrators for one month, for a public vote on whether we want the forum or not? Idk but it's a possibility. Still I would like a new forum for that.

Plane And Simple
December 10th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I love Ali's idea, and yours as well Thomas. I feel it would get quite a bit of traffic to be honest, everyone likes dreaming about a vacation from another person's POV sometimes. And the cultures addition makes it even mroe interesting. I myself am all up for it, but if we feel it doesn't fir, maybe just renaming PT&A might do.

Horatio Nelson
December 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I really like Ali's idea.

Transportation and World Culture would be two very different subjects.

I think it would be an awesome forum.

Uranus
December 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I love Ali's idea, and yours as well Thomas. I feel it would get quite a bit of traffic to be honest, everyone likes dreaming about a vacation from another person's POV sometimes. And the cultures addition makes it even mroe interesting. I myself am all up for it, but if we feel it doesn't fir, maybe just renaming PT&A might do.

Thank you, Nick! I too feel it would get traffic. I myself have been wanting to visit certain places, and there's no forum here to really discuss it, except The White Padded Room, but for other traveling, land, geographical, discussions about myths of the land, type of threads, there's really no place for them, which is why I think a new forum would be a good idea.

However I am not really all in for renaming the PT&A forum. As pointed out there could be a thread about the all new Ford Mustang, and then a whole other thread on Asia, which would really confuse alot of members, including myself.

I individually am in favor for a new forum dedicated to Traveling/Geographical/Ect, threads! If the mods are unsure whether or not to make the forum, I believe a month-long poll-thread for a public vote,(Held within TWPR, on yes or no for a new forum.

Living For Love
December 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I don't really think we need a new section. If your question was where to place "Where Have You Travelled To?" or "Where Was Your Last Vacation Spot At" threads, if you check the Mother Nature forum, you'll find that very similar threads already exist there, and in TWPR as well.

About the whole thing of creating a forum to share your travellings and talk about other cultures/places, I think we already have sections for that. If you want to talk about travel (like, place where you've been, what you saw, what you did), you can post it on Mother Nature, if you want to talk about how you got there, you can post it on PT&A, or if you'd like to share photos you took, you can place them on the Photography section.

azure moonstone
December 10th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I don't really think we need a new section. If your question was where to place "Where Have You Travelled To?" or "Where Was Your Last Vacation Spot At" threads, if you check the Mother Nature forum, you'll find that very similar threads already exist there, and in TWPR as well.

About the whole thing of creating a forum to share your travellings and talk about other cultures/places, I think we already have sections for that. If you want to talk about travel (like, place where you've been, what you saw, what you did), you can post it on Mother Nature, if you want to talk about how you got there, you can post it on PT&A, or if you'd like to share photos you took, you can place them on the Photography section.

I understand what you are saying that threads may belong in multiple forums, but when we create a forum (the recent Mother Nature forum, to use your example), we moved more than a few threads into that new forum to start it off. All of those threads were in TWPR or somewhere else originally.

Yes we have an Art/Photography section and the Mother Nature section (and even PT&A), but if people want to have a discussion about different cultures, customs, people, even some geography of different areas of the world (and I am pretty sure some would like something like this) - including travel...should it always just get stuck in TWPR or Mother Nature? I honestly don't see what talking about different aspects of the world and people has to do with the Mother Nature forum or PT&A, or why it should just get put in TWPR just because there is no other place for it.

I think the problem with something like this is guessing how much activity a separate forum would generate. I am just unsure of that, and unless a lot of people actually express interest in some sort of "World of VT" (or whatever name) forum, I don't see it getting much use at all. I think it's a good idea in theory, but it may be tough to get a lot of people to post in a separate forum.

Hudor
December 11th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I think it's a good idea in theory, but it may be tough to get a lot of people to post in a separate forum.

I agree. I'm up for the public voting.

Uranus
December 11th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I agree. I'm up for the public voting.

I am too. I think it would be a good idea to actually see if there would be a reasonable amount of activity it would have. I believe we could definitely use a new forum based on anything related to earth and traveling and geographical subjects.

xXl0sth0peXx
December 15th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Ultimately, after talking this over with the senior staff, I don't think this will happen, even with a public vote. While a majority of us like the idea in theory, it would be adding a forum that wouldn't really get much traffic and aid VT in anyway. At this point, a vote would most likely being the users of VT saying that they want this, and then us coming and saying that it won't happen It's honestly an interesting idea in theory, but it just wouldn't work out on VT.

maniamsmart
December 18th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Ultimately, after talking this over with the senior staff, I don't think this will happen, even with a public vote. While a majority of us like the idea in theory, it would be adding a forum that wouldn't really get much traffic and aid VT in anyway. At this point, a vote would most likely being the users of VT saying that they want this, and then us coming and saying that it won't happen It's honestly an interesting idea in theory, but it just wouldn't work out on VT.

Well then. Lol, I thought it was a great idea. Would be one of the forums where more education went on, rather than all of this other stuff about "I hate my mom, she won't let me play GTA" (right Thomas :P, haha). But then again if I was the admin I would too be concerned about traffic to a forum that may not be used as much when it can just be merged with another forum, or a name change can make up for it. So I do completely understand where you are coming from and respect your decision. But if enough people have interest in it then I don't think traffic would even be considered an issue to be concerened about.

hockeyfan
December 21st, 2014, 03:04 PM
It could work. For planes trains and automobiles I thought it was more about mechanics.

maniamsmart
December 21st, 2014, 11:53 PM
It could work. For planes trains and automobiles I thought it was more about mechanics.

That's what I thought too, haven't been in that section that much either.