PDA

View Full Version : GIMP or Photoshop?

maniamsmart
December 8th, 2014, 06:12 PM
What do you guys use to edit your pictures, or design anything? I tend to like GIMP more over Photoshop just because a lot of the things you can do on Photoshop are really simplitized on GIMP if you just need the basics. But when I really need it detailed and personalized, I use Photoshop because it is a bit more advanced.

Just wondering what you guys use though and if you've seen any advantages/disadvantages of either.

Karkat
December 8th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Paint Tool SAI TBH

But if I'm just editing, I'm split about even.

Zuzu
December 8th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Neither ! I also use Paint Tool SAI c:
Though Gimp is nice for editing - I can't afford photoshop.
(Though I was thinking about buying Mangastudio)

xxx

maniamsmart
December 9th, 2014, 03:43 AM
I've heard of those drawing programs you use, those are really good.

James Dean
December 9th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Photoshop I prefer and use more often. But GIMP is also a great program and I know some people prefer one or the other. No contest.

Luminous
December 9th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I say GIMP, simply because it's what I've been using for about 5 years. Maybe one day I'll try Photoshop but as of now I don't really have any interest in doing that.

Saint of Sinners
December 9th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I'm more skilled in photoshop, but I use gimp cause it's free.:P

maniamsmart
December 9th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I'm more skilled in photoshop, but I use gimp cause it's free.:P

Awesome, I am still learning Photoshop :) How did you learn? YouTube?

Saint of Sinners
December 9th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Awesome, I am still learning Photoshop :) How did you learn? YouTube?

My school had some IT classes haha. Although the trainer kinda just let us game in the computer lab but hey I managed to learn enough:P

Youtube has great tutorials though! Just take your time, it's not that hard haha.

ImCoolBeans
December 9th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Depends what you're intentions are. I think GIMP and other editors are fine for personal projects, or if you're making sigs or something, but if I was submitting a portfolio to a college or for a job interview I would definitely want to be using photoshop :P

maniamsmart
December 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM
My school had some IT classes haha. Although the trainer kinda just let us game in the computer lab but hey I managed to learn enough:P

Youtube has great tutorials though! Just take your time, it's not that hard haha.

Yeah, I've learned quite a bit from YouTube tutorials, and it is very similar to GIMP.

Depends what you're intentions are. I think GIMP and other editors are fine for personal projects, or if you're making sigs or something, but if I was submitting a portfolio to a college or for a job interview I would definitely want to be using photoshop :P

Very true :)

Calliope
December 9th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I use Paint Tool SAI for drawing but if we're talking about stuff like signatures then GIMP. Always. I've tried PS multiple times, never liked it.

HeWhoTravelsTheWorld
December 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM
i always use Gimp and Aperture

EpiccMan
December 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Personally Paint tool SAI works wonders for me. But photoshop is quite good too

Plane And Simple
December 10th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Photoshop is the only one I've tried. It works good for me and I don't have to dig much to find what I want to do, so I've never considered trying anything else.

kay_jay
December 10th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I use Gimp. Photoshop is a little complicated for me.

fairmaiden
December 10th, 2014, 08:58 PM
GIMP. I've used Photoshop about four times at school and it seemed to have pretty much the same features on GIMP; just more complicated. I use gimp for pretty much anything, except gifs. Plus, I don't have enough money for Photoshop.

Saint of Sinners
December 11th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Whew. Just got done with my new sig using gimp. Somehow got it done without knowing what half of the buttons did.

Photoshop has a much better layout imo

maniamsmart
December 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Whew. Just got done with my new sig using gimp. Somehow got it done without knowing what half of the buttons did.

Photoshop has a much better layout imo

Awesome signature :D And I noticed a lot of people use SAI, but I am guessing you need a tablet for that right?

phuckphace
December 11th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Photoshop. GIMP is, in a word, shitty.

maniamsmart
December 11th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Photoshop. GIMP is, in a word, shitty.

Really? What don't you like about it?

phuckphace
December 11th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Really? What don't you like about it?

maybe it's because I've used PS since I was a little kid but I never could stand GIMP. it's really slow and cumbersome to use compared to PS, and half the time it crashes for no reason.

maniamsmart
December 11th, 2014, 05:32 PM
maybe it's because I've used PS since I was a little kid but I never could stand GIMP. it's really slow and cumbersome to use compared to PS, and half the time it crashes for no reason.

Ah, I can understand. I would feel the same way if I used something for a long time and then had to switch to something that had less features and was basically a free version of something I've always used.

everlong
December 11th, 2014, 05:42 PM
paint.net

CharlieHorse
December 11th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Depends what your situation is.
Working on something you'll get paid for? Photoshop.
Making basic photo edits for your tumblr blog about puppies? Gimp
I use gimp on my home computer because: it does the job for what I need, it's free, and it's simple.
I use Photoshop at school because: it's there and my class requires submissions of assignments as a Photoshop file, it's already paid for by the school, and it's got some useful tools that are more foolproof (like smart objects).

Either way I don't really like adobe. They're kind of a dick and very controlling of their product line. Open sourced projects gain my respect.

Typhlosion
December 15th, 2014, 09:29 PM
:heart: GIMP :heart: GIMP :heart: GIMP :heart: GIMP :heart:
:heart: GIMP :heart: GIMP :heart: GIMP :heart: GIMP :heart:

I honestly tried fumbling with PS once and I couldn't even find some selection operation... The interface is really counterintuitive. The plus to PS is the amount of tutorials on it and its commercial/professional relevance, but I just use GIMP.

And Inkscape!

makyoch
December 16th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I fucking hate GIMP with a passion and I can't be arsed with Photoshop.

For me, it's PDN (http://getpaint.net/).

Michael75
December 18th, 2014, 08:35 PM
We're talking about gimps in the art section? tehe forgive my immatureness, couldnt resist :3

maniamsmart
December 19th, 2014, 01:38 AM
We're talking about gimps in the art section? tehe forgive my immatureness, couldnt resist :3

Design is art D:

LankyBeard
December 19th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Started off with GIMP and haven't attempted to make a signature properly with Photoshop. However I have found that things are a lot more simpler in GIMP and when trying to make signatures I find it a lot easier. :P But Photoshop does have more stuff and is more advanced in general so personal preference. I would like to get back into making more signatures!

eli_w
December 20th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Gimp gets so much shit even though you don't have to pay a dime for it lol, jesus christ

PS is better if you're looking to make a profession out of it obviously, but gimp definitely suffices if you want to save money and edit casually

maniamsmart
December 22nd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Started off with GIMP and haven't attempted to make a signature properly with Photoshop. However I have found that things are a lot more simpler in GIMP and when trying to make signatures I find it a lot easier. :P But Photoshop does have more stuff and is more advanced in general so personal preference. I would like to get back into making more signatures!

I used to make a lot of signatures, banners, avatars, and profile pictures and even had a shop on another forum, but that was when I was still in high school and had a lot of time on my hands.

LankyBeard
December 22nd, 2014, 12:03 PM
I used to make a lot of signatures, banners, avatars, and profile pictures and even had a shop on another forum, but that was when I was still in high school and had a lot of time on my hands.

I just got bored and lazy. :P I would kind of like to get back into it but still, I can't be bothered to re-learn everything right now.

davidsp
December 22nd, 2014, 12:55 PM
I like gimp because its pretty easy to use. I've used it for making minecraft skins and minecraft modding. it came as part of a online course i took about java coding and minecraft modding. i'm not great at art stuff but I'm getting better. cool to know some of the other tools out there. i've used photoshop only a little. what about adobe illustrator? it is good?

Typhlosion
December 23rd, 2014, 01:09 AM
what about adobe illustrator? it is good?

Adobe Illustrator, unlike Photoshop, does not handle raster graphics (bitmaps); instead, it is used to create and edit vector graphics. Between Corel Draw, Illustrator, and Inkscape I prefer the latter for its easier UI. I assume Illustrator has better tools, though.

maniamsmart
December 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Adobe Illustrator, unlike Photoshop, does not handle raster graphics (bitmaps); instead, it is used to create and edit vector graphics. Between Corel Draw, Illustrator, and Inkscape I prefer the latter for its easier UI. I assume Illustrator has better tools, though.

Yeah, only thing I like about Illustrator is that nothing gets pixelized, then again I don't ever use it :D

Freckles
December 23rd, 2014, 10:53 PM
I use them both. Each one has something they do better than the other. If I want to cut something out of a picture to put into another picture Gimp works best. If I'm trying to make a photo better I use Photoshop.

Silicate Wielder
January 2nd, 2015, 02:52 PM
I like gimp, it's free and the only good up-to-date editor for Linux :)

aalleexx
January 3rd, 2015, 04:20 AM
I started to work in Photoshop 3-4 years ago, so yes, i choose Photoshop :)

maniamsmart
January 4th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Tried out Paint.net a few days ago, and it's really good :D

pegazzo
January 4th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Ps is much better than Gimp but it's very expensive. I had a trial version of Ps. Now I'm working on Gimp.

orchadork
January 5th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Photoshop, it can do more. Either one you do you can't break it, so play around with a picture, and learn what each thing does.

Ouija
January 14th, 2015, 06:02 PM
photoshop by far

Deleted User
January 15th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I've been using Photoshop since I was a little kid so it's more intuitive for me 'cause I'm used to the interface. I do a fair bit of editing on it and a lot of painting although I'm not entirely happy with it for painting specifically. But it is my go to program of choice at the moment.

Seahawks15
January 15th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Adobe Photoshop is so amazing! It's made all my pictures of nature look so much better!

maniamsmart
January 16th, 2015, 06:31 PM
photoshop by far

Did you make your signature with it?

Ouija
January 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Did you make your signature with it?

yeah, it's really the only thing that I use. I have other adobe programs, but still prefer photoshop.

mrmee
January 18th, 2015, 12:34 AM
I use photoshop simply because it's what I know how to use and because the school has a laser machine hooked up to photoshop. I can put any picture on any surface that isn't highly flammable. 😁

maniamsmart
January 20th, 2015, 09:34 PM
yeah, it's really the only thing that I use. I have other adobe programs, but still prefer photoshop.

Yeah, I really like your signature, great job!

Silicate Wielder
March 13th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I prefer Gimp over the two, but I prefer paint.net because i'm most familiar with it from my few years of working with it. Gimp is still rather new to me.

CharlieHorse
March 13th, 2015, 06:32 PM
I think i'll be buying photoshop for a year or so. I've started to like it more. :/

Abhorrence
March 18th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Photoshop.

fairmaiden
April 25th, 2015, 03:23 AM
update; I now use photoshop! works much better than gimp, ty Ouija

kev99
April 25th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Photoshop has tons of options, but I'm not too fond of it. It is great to work digitally, but I prefer traditional tools like ink or painting. And yeah, Photoshop is damn expensive.

I much prefer something like Painter or Krita for drawing freehand. Gimp I use for technical stuff like making a forum signature.

tiffany1
May 1st, 2015, 01:54 AM
gimp is a good alternative

TolPros
May 13th, 2015, 04:00 AM
I use gimp because it's free and i don't need photoshop.

Penguinism
May 14th, 2015, 01:57 AM
GIMP's the one I use currently for most things - sometimes I use Inkscape for graphics and design stuff. For a free program it's good, although if I had the opportunity to use Photoshop instead I probably would change.

Iam-Marie
June 30th, 2015, 06:21 AM
I use GIMP, because I have not 1000 EUR for photoshop

Tesshin
July 1st, 2015, 05:16 AM
I used Gimp a lot back in 2010, but today I use Photoshop. It is definitely one of my favorite softwares!

Silicate Wielder
July 1st, 2015, 09:02 AM
I used Gimp a lot back in 2010, but today I use Photoshop. It is definitely one of my favorite softwares!

May I ask, how much harder is Photoshop to use compared to Gimp?

WintersuN
July 2nd, 2015, 04:37 AM
GIMP is free. 'Nuff said.

Let Me Be a Pony
July 2nd, 2015, 08:28 PM
Used a cracked copy of Photoshop, must say that it's easier for me to use Photoshop, maybe because I started out early with it. Can't say much for GIMP, since I haven't used it much.

Hideous
July 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM
Photoshop!

Blazefire
July 6th, 2015, 04:02 AM
hey you can download PS from piratebay but i recommend a bit older version.its a better option .later you can buy it.

lliam
July 29th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I use Gimp rarely. Corel Paint is my fav when I don't edit any complex images. Photoshop I use mainly for work where it is necessary to work out many details or so.

maggs
July 30th, 2015, 06:01 PM
GIMP.

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/4658956.jpg

StoppingTom
July 30th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I like Photoshop more than GIMP, but I'm not a secret spooky pirate so I use Paint.net with some downloaded tools along with GIMP.

Babs
July 31st, 2015, 12:01 PM
I like Photoshop a lot more. You can do a lot more with it. I use to spend ALL DAY playing with Photoshop, using the liquify tool to make pictures look funny, to make myself people look like aliens, etc. I didn't draw with it though. But I use GIMP these days because my computer with Photoshop is broken and I'm totally unwilling to pay for it. GIMP is pretty alright though.

Saul Goodman
August 3rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
I've used Photoshop for years and love it. There's something about a keyboard shortcut for every function that I just miss when using something else.

Reise
August 3rd, 2015, 03:19 PM
I like Photoshop a lot more. You can do a lot more with it. I use to spend ALL DAY playing with Photoshop, using the liquify tool to make pictures look funny, to make myself people look like aliens, etc. I didn't draw with it though. But I use GIMP these days because my computer with Photoshop is broken and I'm totally unwilling to pay for it. GIMP is pretty alright though.
Well, Photoshop is not for drawing.

Personally, you can't compare a such powerful software to a "free version".
The money doesn't matter with the magical P2P system.

ndrwmxwll
August 3rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
krita is less steep than gimp

photoshop should be out of the question. payware, seriously? :bigsmile:

Babs
August 4th, 2015, 02:45 AM
Well, Photoshop is not for drawing.

Personally, you can't compare a such powerful software to a "free version".
The money doesn't matter with the magical P2P system.

It was not originally made for drawing, but it has a paint tool many people use for drawing.

Akasuki
August 4th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Photoshop

xXoblivionXx
August 5th, 2015, 02:50 AM
I've used photoshop at school, never heard of GIMP

Onlyfaith
August 5th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Personally I prefer Photoshop. It has more possibilities and in my opinion better work environment than Gimp