PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with leasing?

Cognizant
December 6th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'm in the market for getting a "new" car soon, and I'm a huge proponent of co-paying with my dad to lease a new midsize sedan from either Nissan or Toyota. In my eyes, I think it's a smart deal. Sure, you'll never see the money come back to you if you end up deciding/needing to return the car, but the monthly rates are significantly lower, you build a stronger relationship with the company, and you still have the option of keeping the car at the end of the lease. And there's also just something reassuring to me to know that it's a brand new car and that I'm the first owner

But my dad has stated several times that leasing another car would be a waste of time (he also keeps saying we can't afford it, but I know that's bullshit because he could afford our current lease car no problem). Is there something I'm missing? Cause honestly other than the mileage limit I don't really see what's wrong with leasing a car.

CosmicNoodle
December 6th, 2014, 03:11 PM
you build a stronger relationship with the company

There is no such thing as a relationship with the company, the rules will be the the same weather your new or old, corporations don't give .00001 shits about customers, they won't treat you any differently than anyone else, relationships of the sort you seem to be suggesting here don't exist.

I still think you should just BUY a car and not lease it, leasing is a hassle, monthly payments mean if your ever down on your luck, poof, your car vanishes, making your situation 50x worse, overall you pay more, because logic, plus you don't actually own the car, in the event of a crash you have to pay off all the money at once (well, depending on the lease terms, in the UK, if you fuck up the car on a lease they seem to always demand ALL the money at once, freaking stupid, may be different for you)

Plus, wouldn't you want to actually own the car? To me that seems like a big thing, owning the vehicle.

Cognizant
December 6th, 2014, 03:25 PM
There is no such thing as a relationship with the company, the rules will be the the same weather your new or old, corporations don't give .00001 shits about customers, they won't treat you any differently than anyone else, relationships of the sort you seem to be suggesting here don't exist.

I still think you should just BUY a car and not lease it, leasing is a hassle, monthly payments mean if your ever down on your luck, poof, your car vanishes, making your situation 50x worse, overall you pay more, because logic, plus you don't actually own the car, in the event of a crash you have to pay off all the money at once (well, depending on the lease terms, in the UK, if you fuck up the car on a lease they seem to always demand ALL the money at once, freaking stupid, may be different for you)

Plus, wouldn't you want to actually own the car? To me that seems like a big thing, owning the vehicle.
I can't afford to buy a new car outright

CosmicNoodle
December 6th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I can't afford to buy a new car outright

There's absolutely nothing wrong with second hand. Provided you have more than 3 brain cells inside your head, which you obviously do.

Cognizant
December 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with second hand. Provided you have more than 3 brain cells inside your head, which you obviously do.

I mean yeah but it's harder to find a used car I actually like around here, since the majority of quote on quote "modern" cars start at around $7000. Call me picky, but I personally don't want a car from the '90s over concerns about safety, integrity, fuel efficiency, and design. But I mean, when you're transitioning from a MY 2013 car to a 20 year old one, what can you expect? Anyways. At $7,000, the amount I'd be paying each month would be equivalent or similar to that of a lease vehicle.

Maybe I'll have to start looking elsewhere for used cars/lease deals, cause the Bay Area is just too damn inflated.

CosmicNoodle
December 6th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I mean yeah but it's harder to find a used car I actually like around here, since the majority of quote on quote "modern" cars start at around $7000. Call me picky, but I personally don't want a car from the '90s over concerns about safety, integrity, fuel efficiency, and design. But I mean, when you're transitioning from a MY 2013 car to a 20 year old one, what can you expect? Anyways. At $7,000, the amount I'd be paying each month would be equivalent or similar to that of a lease vehicle.

Maybe I'll have to start looking elsewhere for used cars/lease deals, cause the Bay Area is just too damn inflated.
You really are asking a lot for your money, at the end of the day I don't give a da!n, do what you want, but I do think you should buy a second hand one.
Generally a 20 year old car won't be as safe,obviously, but they have crumple zones, air bags, seat belts, all the same things, the safety difference is small at best.

CharlieHorse
December 6th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I'd rather have a car long term so that i don't have to buy another and increase the demand in the industry. There's too many cars in the world. :(