PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Hideous
December 3rd, 2014, 04:01 PM
Would you be able to add in a feature that gives us the ability to thank a post or reply so that we know it has helped them?

For example, at the bottom of the thread it says " _____ thanked this post", " _____ and 29 others thanked this post" or something like that.

CosmicNoodle
December 3rd, 2014, 04:47 PM
This brings the rep system to mind

Living For Love
December 3rd, 2014, 05:05 PM
That does seem like a good idea, but you can simply reply with a "Thank you, your advice was really helpful." It's something more personal, and it might mean more to that person than a simple "Thanks" button. And I'm not sure if there's even a plug-in or something that would make the implementation of that feature possible...

Uranus
December 3rd, 2014, 05:10 PM
I think it might possibly be a good idea. Sounds like something very similar to the Like button on other sites but in my opinion it would probably be a good idea. I'm not sure if it would cause any problems to VT itself because in just a single thread there could be 500 "Thanks", or "Likes" and it may cause some trouble with the server. But I still believe it would be a good idea.

xXl0sth0peXx
December 3rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
This is something that's been discussed by the senior staff for the past couple months on and off, and it's still at the discussion stage. We have to weigh the pros and cons of it, and after all of the rep issues, whether or not it's something VT is ready for and/or needs. But yeah, this is on our discussion agenda.

Typhlosion
December 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
I imagine something like the system on GovTeen. I don't see it being too useful on VirtualTeen, given its emphasis on help rather than general discussions. It would reduce a LOT of the "this" posts and would reduce the bumps slightly. On the other hand, it might devalue some posts because of the lesser amount of likes it receives, pushing one or two (usually well-written) posts into the front stage. That would also un-incentivate new posts from coming.

I find it easier to just shoot a VM.

Abyssal Echo
December 3rd, 2014, 06:04 PM
I agree with Alex (Typhlosion) if you like someones post or found it helpful shoot them a VM.

Horatio Nelson
December 3rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
I imagine something like the system on GovTeen. I don't see it being too useful on VirtualTeen, given its emphasis on help rather than general discussions. It would reduce a LOT of the "this" posts and would reduce the bumps slightly. On the other hand, it might devalue some posts because of the lesser amount of likes it receives, pushing one or two (usually well-written) posts into the front stage. That would also un-incentivate new posts from coming.

I find it easier to just shoot a VM.

This.

:P

Just messing Alex. ;) But I definitely agree with what you are saying. A "thanks" button seems very impersonal, it would mean so much more if someone sent you a VM.

hockeyfan
December 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM
It would b great to know that we were helpful.

NeuroTiger
December 21st, 2014, 03:42 PM
That does seem like a good idea, but you can simply reply with a "Thank you, your advice was really helpful." It's something more personal, and it might mean more to that person than a simple "Thanks" button. And I'm not sure if there's even a plug-in or something that would make the implementation of that feature possible...

I agree with this.

maniamsmart
December 22nd, 2014, 04:53 AM
Good idea since on a lot of posts I make for advice, I don't get much feedback or response from people, but I do know there are views on the reply.