PDA

View Full Version : Help Learning Guitar?

BookSmart
November 29th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I'm a begginer guitar player. I know a few chords and a couple songs, but I'm really not very good at playing yet. I know it takes a lot of time and practice, but right now I'm currently stuck on barre chords! While I'm trying to get those down, I'd like to learn a few more songs to play without those chords. I can play C, E, Em, A, Am, D, Dm, and G, without a problem and was wondering if you guys could give me any songs to play that have only those chords?

(also if you know any magic trick to barre chords it would be nice if you shared that with me :D)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm learning so that I can play guitar while singing, so it would be nice if you suggest songs that are fun to sing along with!

Elysium
November 29th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I know nothing about guitar, but this site is supposed to be really good for learning how to play:
http://www.justinguitar.com/

xXl0sth0peXx
November 29th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I'm in your boat. I have super small hands and barre cards are almost impossible for me. This (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/) is a good website to use to find songs. You can't really limit them to chords, but once you pick a song, you can choose from different submitted versions and see if a particular song has the chords you can play. You've got a lot of the basics down like I do, so you'd be surprised.

As for learning, youtube tutorials are your friend, as well as books. And practice. Or see if like anyone or a community college or center in your area is having a class or lessons. You'd be surprised how much they do help. Good luck!

ImCoolBeans
November 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I've always found the best way to learn and remember chords is to learn songs that incorporate them. A few songs that have those chords in them, off the top of my head, are Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, Wonderwall by Oasis, Such Great Heights (has an F chord in it) by The Postal Service/Ben Gibbard, Time of your Life by Green Day, Mr. Jones by Counting Crows.

You should branch out and learn songs that have some different chords in them, in different places on the neck. You're playing solely in first position, you should move up the neck a little bit.

SevenRhye
December 5th, 2014, 12:47 AM
On youtube is a guy called marty schwartz. Watch him!

BookSmart
December 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

ImCoolBeans
December 6th, 2014, 12:17 AM
On youtube is a guy called marty schwartz. Watch him!

Marty Schwartz has some good tutorials. He taught me how to play Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers :lol3:
Definitely worth checking him out.

EpiccMan
December 6th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I learnt to play The Only Exception by Paramore in youtube. It's quite easy, roughly 4 chords :P

RJx_Writer
December 14th, 2014, 07:04 PM
American Pie by Don Mclean. It uses all barre chords and is originally played on acoustic guitar. There is no fancy tuning required. It's a long song though, eight minutes.

Taylor210e
January 6th, 2015, 01:11 AM
try Drunken Soldier by the Dave Matthews Band!

Descene
January 10th, 2015, 03:31 AM
I'm a bit late to the party, but.
Do you have steel strings? My guitar has steel but before I got my guitar (I've been playing a year) I had been playing ukulele for a while. The nylon strings are so much easier to hold down. I still took a while to clearly strum barre chords, but the experience helped a lot when I started guitar. Just practice every day, even if for a short while, and you'll see yourself improving over time. It's amazing to think back about how much I've gotten better. On uke, I used to only be able to play chords like C, F, G (I find a lot of the hard chords on guitar are easy peasy on uke, and the reverse true too. So js they're easy chords).

SevenRhye
January 17th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Steel strings are in acoustic and electric guitar a must! I started with nylon, then switched on acoustic and year and half later I bought electric. It was really helpful for bending, because I got power to do it. There were some more things but for song, I reccomend CCR. They're really good for rythym.

amybah
February 4th, 2015, 03:01 AM
I play guitar but I have classes. But lot of people learn at home. There are lot of sites on the Internet where you can learn

Good luck and don't give up :)

Excalibur
February 13th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I know the feeling, and yeah bar chords are probably one of the harder things about guitar, but when you do learn, trust me, you'll love it. There's a whole theory on different frets and bar chords that is actually pretty easy to figure out when you learn how to do bar chords. You might want to start out doing bar chords on a nylon string or an electric, those two are way easier to play guitar in general on, so it's great for beginners. As for what songs you can play, RipTard (https://www.youtube.com/user/RipTard/featured) on YouTube has a LOT of videos covering what songs you can play just by knowing the 4 basic chords: Em C G D. There are hundreds of songs you can play with the chords you know, but if you want to learn 2 more pretty easy chords without having to bar, then you can do F (a very commonly used chord) with the position of:

EADGBe
xx3211

just by simply holding your index finger on the bottom 2 strings on the first fret then your middle finger goes on the G string on the 2nd fret and ring finger on the D string 3rd fret.

You can also do Bm (another common chord) like this:

EADGBe
xx4432

By putting your index finger on e-2 (E string 2nd fret), middle finger on B-3 (B string 3rd fret), and your pinky and ring finger on the G and D strings on the 4th fret. Learning these chords will really open up a lot of new songs and save a lot of time you would spend on transposing. Ultimate Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/) is a great place to find easy chords and tabs for popular songs, and also just a great website in general for learning guitar. And if you're really interested in tabs, you can go to Songsterr (http://www.songsterr.com/) to find bunches of accurate tabs. Although it doesn't have as much variety as Ultimate Guitar, it is very helpful and has hundreds and hundreds of songs. Anyway, I hope this helps. :) Good luck!

Zach5231
February 15th, 2015, 08:17 AM
About a Girl (Nirvana Unplugged) is a very simble song that would be easy for you. You'll find over time that chods can be played in many different ways and in different positions. Ive been playing for seven years, and barre chords are one of the easiest things I've encountered. Once you figure it out you'll love it. Also check out the Gibson Guitars website (gibson.com). They have great lessons for songs, but also lessons on theory and skills.

Country Cowboy
February 16th, 2015, 01:20 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I am a beginner who can't master barre chords. I have a steel string acoustic so pressing down the strings are hard as it is. I don't know of any tricks to it but I wish I did