PDA

View Full Version : Eco Boost Mustang

PinkFloyd
November 29th, 2014, 02:44 AM
In short, the Eco Boost Ford Mustang is a turbocharged Mustang with a 2.3 4 cylinder motor under that puts out a decent 310 horsepower.

My own opinion is probably the same as a lot of old fashioned car gurus. that opinion is that I don't like it. I simply don't believe that a 4 cylinder belongs in a Mustang but rather a beefy V8. The Ford Focus ST is a fantastic four banger in my opinion. I can definitely get behind it. A Mustang? Not so much...

Horatio Nelson
November 29th, 2014, 03:59 AM
In short, the Eco Boost Ford Mustang is a turbocharged Mustang with a 2.3 4 cylinder motor under that puts out a decent 310 horsepower.

My own opinion is probably the same as a lot of old fashioned car gurus. that opinion is that I don't like it. I simply don't believe that a 4 cylinder belongs in a Mustang but rather a beefy V8. The Ford Focus ST is a fantastic four banger in my opinion. I can definitely get behind it. A Mustang? Not so much...

Agreed.

Eco boost and muscle car sounds like an oxymoron.

Plane And Simple
November 29th, 2014, 04:50 AM
qvwqjNHEswY

This guy has an Ecoboost Premium. I think it's alright performace and look-wise, but as i've read, Ecoboost and Mustang don't go together, which I somewhat disagree on, but to each their own. Has it lost it's excusiveness? Yeah, most likely. Is it a bad car? Heck no.

Professional Russian
November 29th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Ah so the downfall of ford is among us. No more good engines and transmissions. I always feared the day when someone would put a pussy engine in a muscle car.....Jesus can you at least get with a manual transmission?

phuckphace
November 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM
you have to bear in mind that this is an "eco-friendly" car marketed to normal people, i.e. people whose jeans aren't skinny enough to drive a smart car that looks like a dildo on wheels. but yeah, if I'm going to get a Stang it'll have a V8.

CosmicNoodle
November 29th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Eco boost = slightly smaller engine with a turbo

boringkid
November 29th, 2014, 07:57 PM
The idea was for people that wanted the looks and relative speed of a mustang, with the economy of a focus or something, personally if i were to get an eco boost i would get a fusion :).

Hypers
November 29th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I actually think its a good idea. Competition is tough, they need a powerful and efficient model.

PinkFloyd
November 29th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I actually think its a good idea. Competition is tough, they need a powerful and efficient model.

That makes sense, but Ford already does well in that area. The Ford Focus ST, Fusion Sport, and V6 Mustang already do fine. When Mustang comes to mind, "four banger" and "turbo" should to come to mind but rather American 5.0 liter V8.

The idea was for people that wanted the looks and relative speed of a mustang, with the economy of a focus or something, personally if i were to get an eco boost i would get a fusion :).

I'd suggest that they get the Focus ST then. It has aggressive styling and centered twin exhaust in the back. that or they could just go with the V6 Mustang. I don't know; I'm just throwing out ideas.

Ah so the downfall of ford is among us. No more good engines and transmissions. I always feared the day when someone would put a pussy engine in a muscle car.....Jesus can you at least get with a manual transmission?

Yep... I'm not even happy with the V6 Mustang... never have been. I get that people want to have a fast car but also get good fuel economy, but The answer should be a Ford Focus ST, a Mazdaspeed 3, hell, even a Civic Si... not a goddamn Mustang! Yeah, it puts out 315 horsepower but you don't get the Mustang feel with it. You get a blowoff valve at 4000 revs and plastic paddle shifters. When I hear "Mustang," I think of a badass American 5 liter V8 and straight pipes, not a four-banger that has decent lap times.

Cognizant
November 30th, 2014, 02:43 AM
No, that's...... no. That's like taking Mr. super muscular, athletic popular Mustang and then sucking up all his BMI down until he's a stick. Leave that for the Focus ST.

Professional Russian
November 30th, 2014, 07:38 PM
That makes sense, but Ford already does well in that area. The Ford Focus ST, Fusion Sport, and V6 Mustang already do fine. When Mustang comes to mind, "four banger" and "turbo" should to come to mind but rather American 5.0 liter V8.

I'd suggest that they get the Focus ST then. It has aggressive styling and centered twin exhaust in the back. that or they could just go with the V6 Mustang. I don't know; I'm just throwing out ideas.

Yep... I'm not even happy with the V6 Mustang... never have been. I get that people want to have a fast car but also get good fuel economy, but The answer should be a Ford Focus ST, a Mazdaspeed 3, hell, even a Civic Si... not a goddamn Mustang! Yeah, it puts out 315 horsepower but you don't get the Mustang feel with it. You get a blowoff valve at 4000 revs and plastic paddle shifters. When I hear "Mustang," I think of a badass American 5 liter V8 and straight pipes, not a four-banger that has decent lap times.

Maybe someone should put the big bad 460 in one, that would be funny

TurboDieselBandit
December 3rd, 2014, 09:19 PM
I think we have certain stigmas in America against cars/engines that are smaller and quieter even if they're more efficient. That mentality has caused us to fall behind foreign competitors who have long been using and improving the technology Eco Boost relies on. I think the stigma is slowly disappearing however I still think, in the short term, Ford will struggle to sell something that breaks away from tradition specifically in it's muscle cars and trucks.

The Lone Assassin
December 4th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Ford should make an ecoboost V8. Because i think that any ecoboost engine: V6 or 4 banger belongs in a focus, a fiesta or a transit custom. Not a shouty muscle car like a mustang!

Straya
January 1st, 2015, 04:06 AM

i agree we dont have mustangs here in aus yet but our fords a called falcons and in the past you had the coice of a nice 4L straight 6 for the base models or for performance you can choose the 4L 6 turbos or a nice v8. now there dumping our falcons and impoorting the mustangs your talking about but we still get the option of haing a v8 in there or the pissy 4cyl. i would much rather them stick to high powered 6s like i have or v8s

ATOMICskittles
January 4th, 2015, 05:44 AM

To be honest, the EcoBoost Turbocharged 2.3L I-4 out performs the 3.7L V6 in Ford's Mustang line up and sounds better than the V6. Me personally, I prefer the 5.0L Coyote V8 wayyyyy more than any other engine in the line up. I have ridden in all the 2015 models and the EcoBoost 2.3L is WAYYYYY better than the V6, however if I had the money to buy the Mustang I want, the one I'd choose is the 50 Years GT Premium which obviously comes with the 5.0L Coyote V8. One of the main reasons for Ford adding the EcoBoost 2.3L was marketing, people who wanted a Mustang but also wanted good fuel economy could get the 2.3L, which is also good for the global market appeal (as the 2015 model year is the first global Mustang) and in many places gas can be VERY expensive, and the Mustang represents a performance car at an affordable bargain and that bargain also includes fuel costs. And also it helps market EcoBoost itself, the Mustang is a well known vehicle not only in America but globally and putting a EcoBoost engine in will not only make people interested in how the engine works in the Mustang but also if Ford puts other EcoBoost engines in other vehicles of their line ups. Lastly one thing the EcoBoost 2.3L has over all of the other 2015 Mustangs is its handling is nice, with a smaller engine up front, the weight distribution is more equal. The steering of the EcoBoost 2.3L is very impressive.

mrmee
January 9th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Go big or go home. That means a big block with bare necessities. But we're not in the 60's or 70's, so let's just find the biggest engine that'll fit in there with the rest of the electronc crap, and call it a day.