PDA

View Full Version : What calms you down from anxiety attacks?

Kotokochan
November 27th, 2014, 08:29 PM
For me, I know it's weird, but really raunchy humor is the one thing that can keep me together. The more explicit, the better. Or watching my favorite anime.

James Dean
November 28th, 2014, 05:22 AM
Depending on who or what caused it, I usually get something cold to drink. Eat a nice snack or chew on some gum. If it was an argument or I was doing a task or something, I would apologize, walk away from the situation if I was talking to someone or was doing something important. Listen to music depending on the situation. Take a nap with some nice music in the background.

Cognizant
November 28th, 2014, 11:27 AM
If I'm really agitated I'll go drive around for a bit. Driving usually calms me down, along with photography.

maddogmj77
November 29th, 2014, 04:30 AM
-Listening to music-Holding my cat, or laying down with him
-Holding my cat, or laying down with him
-Stopping whatever I'm doing and just putting my head into my bed, and doing absolutely nothing, giving myself time to think, but that sometimes makes it worse

Melodic
November 29th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Listening to music usually calms me down.

Lost in the Echo
November 29th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Usually just several deep breathes and analyzing my situation helps calm me down. Fortunately I've only had a few anxiety attacks.

ImCoolBeans
November 30th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Things that take a lot of concentration usually help me calm down from anxiety attacks. I like to paint, drive, draw, play guitar, and some other stuff. But I can't always do those things, so deep breathing exercises, engaging people in good conversation, going for a run, listening to music, also help me out. Also acknowledging the fact that you're having an anxiety attack, and reminding yourself that you're not thinking rationally and that it will be ok helps too.

Elysium
November 30th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Focusing on other things also helps me. Since I usually get mine when I'm at home, I go on tumblr or focus on my cat or something. When I get them around other people, it's not so easy, and it's just a matter of distracting myself.

Emerald Dream
November 30th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I am often telling myself that I overreact to everything. To calm down I have to really take my mind off what is causing my anxiety - that sometimes includes reading, watching TV, and music (which is a huge thing). Being active really helps...running burns off a lot of anxious energy.

slopestyle
November 30th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Depending on who or what caused it, I usually get something cold to drink. Eat a nice snack or chew on some gum. If it was an argument or I was doing a task or something, I would apologize, walk away from the situation if I was talking to someone or was doing something important. Listen to music depending on the situation. Take a nap with some nice music in the background.

If I'm really agitated I'll go drive around for a bit. Driving usually calms me down, along with photography.

Both of these are what usually work for me, especially if I combine them. I'll get in the car and just go. I'll either bring snacks with me or stop at the store and get something. I think the combination of driving, and forcing myself to interact with strangers and appear calm all help distract me from feeling so anxious.

Talking to people can help a lot too, not necessarily about how anxious I feel but just talking and forcing myself to ignore my anxiety. It all depends on how bad my anxiety is as far as what actually calms me down

CharlieHorse
November 30th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Cryin

Abhorrence
December 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
I just focus on my breathing, the rhythm of it really helps.

Zuzu
December 8th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Hot milk and a life simulation game (like Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon) to forget about the real world for a little while.

xxx

romes3
December 29th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Singing always calms me down, since it gives me something else to focus on.

Malibu_Barbie
December 29th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Anything that will distract me and/or make me laugh.

losingNemo
December 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Usually in order to calm myself down I plug in my headphones to the nearest electronic device and listen to music.

VictoriaShadows
January 2nd, 2015, 09:43 PM
Reading or crying or sleeping

Dalcourt
January 4th, 2015, 03:12 AM
Music, crying, just being out somewhere alone depends on what caused the attack.

Emiil
January 12th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Cold showers, running in the woods and some deep breathing :D

Luminous
January 12th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I usually can just wait it out and it'll tone down after 20 minutes or so. Playing with my cats or texting my best friend usually helps to keep me grounded and to stop blowing everything out of proportion.

rdaniel
July 8th, 2015, 07:44 AM
yes i agree .abandon. most of thing we fear that donot happens.