PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike or car?

Paladino
November 25th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Which is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run etc?

Plane And Simple
November 25th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Motorcycle obviously. They're equally expensive to buy, because if you want to be nicely protected you can expect to spend around 3k in gear, which plus the motorcycle itself will equal the price of a cheap new car. The real advantages comes in maintenance and fuel savings. With a tank that costs 13€ to fill you travel 300ush km. To travel 800km with a car you pay around 50€ for a tank, so doing some math you save around 25€ for 800km in a motorbike. That being said, your usual car service (filters, oil, general check, plus some minor worn out replacememt) will be around 250€, while the same in a bike will be 100€ish at the dealer, less than 50 if you do it yourself.

Expense you pay? Constant danger, which isn't an issue if you know how to face it and have the required awareness.

Paladino
November 25th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Oh right thanks.

NeuroTiger
November 26th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Obviously its motorcycles the cheaper.
But I guess a car is better to own.

CosmicNoodle
November 26th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Obviously its motorcycles the cheaper.
But I guess a car is better to own.

People say cars are better, till they own a motorcycle.

The price to run depends on the size of the bike, your British, and 19, so you can ride a 250cc, so it'll get about 70mpg, insurance for the first year will be about 400-500, thats about it. 250cc bikes are much cheaper to run than a car, but be warned, Glasgow, Uk, winter, rain, cold, wet, unable to move large things, can't take more than 1 person with you, make sure you understand what your getting into. (but a bike is about 7000000000000000000000x more fun)

A 250cc bike will cost between 1500 to 5000 depending on if you go brand new or second hand.

Paladino
November 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
The only thing I would be wary about having a bike is falling off :/

CosmicNoodle
November 28th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Everyone falls off, anyone who claims not to have, is ether spewing bullshit, or hasn't been riding much, everyone crashes at some point. It's really not that bad, I've had multiple slip ups, you get up, dust yourself off and ride off again, I've crashed 3 times now, each time I was back on the bike within 2 minuets. If I can be riding again within that time, it shows how bad the average bike crash is.

The worst thing I have ever done on a bike is tear a muscle, but that was only because of some very, very unusual circumstances that wouldn't happen to 99.999% of people. Most of the time you'll come out with a bruise and a small scar on your knee to remember it by. Nothing bad.

Batman42
November 28th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Motorcycle

Michael75
December 2nd, 2014, 04:56 PM
Bike definitely, i'm a complete bike enthusiast. I'm fourteen and i've already priced out my bike for when I'm 17, much cheaper than a car. Fuel, insurance, tax, maintanace (especially Honda) they're handier for commuting too, like parking and filtering traffic!

Remey
December 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM
Motorcycle

Michael75
December 6th, 2014, 05:42 PM

I can see your from scotland, some lovely biking roads up round there. My dad and i are heading there some time, when i have my own bike haha. Anyway, but leathers, or textile. if you come off you'll be grand. the weather isnt that hot either i reckon so, you wont have the hole sweat of ya.