PDA

View Full Version : R.A.D

Hockeyplayer1
November 24th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Has anyone ever been told they have? or looked into reactive attachment disorder?

Just looking for some thoughts on it from someone who has it.

I think I may have it.

queenofcontrariety
November 24th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Not that I have this, but seeing this thread, I figured I'd look into it. Honestly the odds of you having this are pretty slim. What makes you think that you have this? I mean it seems like it's caused by a lack of nurturing in early development, is there any reason to think you were neglected? And it seems like if you were affected a diagnosis would already be in place, granted it isn't that widely known of a thing. But what makes you think this characterizes you? Always keep in mind that when self diagnosing (something I do not advise) it is important to not only take into account what the symptoms are but also what the known causes are, because without the cause it can be likely assumed the diagnosis will not fit.

Hockeyplayer1
November 25th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Reactive attachment disorder can start in infancy. There's little research on signs and symptoms of reactive attachment disorder beyond early childhood, and it remains uncertain whether it occurs in children older than 5 years.

Signs and symptoms may include:

Withdrawal, fear, sadness or irritability that is not readily explained
Sad and listless appearance
Not seeking comfort or showing no response when comfort is given
Failure to smile
Watching others closely but not engaging in social interaction
Failing to ask for support or assistance
Failure to reach out when picked up
No interest in playing peekaboo or other interactive games
Reactive attachment disorder is rare. Signs and symptoms can occur in children who don't have reactive attachment disorder or who have another disorder such as autism spectrum disorder. It's important to have your child evaluated by a psychiatrist who can tell whether such behaviors indicate a more serious problem.

queenofcontrariety
November 25th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Most of these symptoms pertain to children 6 months to about 2 years. And honestly a lot of them could just as easily be aspergers or another similar disorder. It could also just be general withdrawal from depression. This just seems like the least likely senario

Hockeyplayer1
November 26th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Most of these symptoms pertain to children 6 months to about 2 years. And honestly a lot of them could just as easily be aspergers or another similar disorder. It could also just be general withdrawal from depression. This just seems like the least likely senario

Been tested for most other issues. I have learning issue from low oxygen episode during birth. Just affects my short term memory. I guess my thought here is that after my mom died when I was very young there was a lack of allot of these things. I think that could be affecting my relationships and dating. Was hoping someone here who had been diagnosed could relate.

queenofcontrariety
November 26th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Been tested for most other issues. I have learning issue from low oxygen episode during birth. Just affects my short term memory. I guess my thought here is that after my mom died when I was very young there was a lack of allot of these things. I think that could be affecting my relationships and dating. Was hoping someone here who had been diagnosed could relate.
Well if you fit the other criteria than it may not be a bad idea to talk to a doctor or counselor about it. If it is having an effect on your social life it'd be a good idea to talk to a professional about it and have them you work on some coping mechanisms and being able to relate to people together. Sorry I couldn't be of too much help, but the best thing to do in any situation is to seek ways to deal with it.