PDA

View Full Version : How?

Listener
November 22nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
I have, for a long time, thought that something might be wrong with me. I have lots of symptoms that coincide with a form of a bipolar disorder. What am I supposed to do to get help? I have episodes in which I am super happy, then I feel normal, then depressed. How should I bring this up with my mom/doctor. I'm just scared she'll be mad, think it's just because of puberty, or think that i just need to let it blow over. I have been going on for a really long time, and it hasn't blown over. What am I supposed to do?:(

Thanks, Dan

Karkat
November 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
If you're under 18, and not going to therapy, the best thing you can do is tell your mom about your concerns. If you feel apprehensive about asking directly about bipolar, maybe ask her if she will let you go to therapy. Good luck.

ksdnfkfr
November 23rd, 2014, 01:21 AM
I think you should just say what you said in your post. I do not think though you should say to mom or doc "I think I have bi-polar disorder". A lot of times people will come jump the conclusion that you are imagining symptoms that you read about. So instead just say exactly how you feel. It really shouldn't be any different than reporting something like your stomach has been bothering for a long time.

James Dean
November 23rd, 2014, 04:05 AM
Many schools have psychologists on campus, so maybe you can go talk to them. We are not doctors so we can't say if you have or haven't have it. Just because you have mood swings, doesn't mean you have bipolar disorder. Also, there are different forms of bipolar which you need to be evaluated by someone to know which one, if any, that you have. If you talk to them and based on what you tell them, by law they have to tell your parents if you are going through mental crisis.

Or, you can just simply explain your situation to your parents and just out of concern prove your position to them that you want to seek guidance on this issue. Take it from there, I'm sure they will listen to you. Please take care of yourself. :)

Listener
November 25th, 2014, 09:26 PM
I used to go to physiologist for "anger problems". Then quit going because he was an ass(long story behind that). I am just to scared and don't know how to bring it up.... I don't want to go to the school because I am in a small school, and I don't care what you say, somebody, probably the worker next to his office, always lets things leak. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal to bring up, but I don't know why. I tied to bring it up tonight and I just couldn't spit it out to my mom.

MattyMattyy
February 25th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Sorry if this isn't expert advice but nobody has replied since november and I think there is only 1 more day left before nobody can reply so lets try get something going here. Speaking to people you love about this kind of thing is always an extremely hard thing. It's a sensitive issue and a very personal one but if you feel like you cannot actually say it to your mum then maybe write it down on a piece of paper and post it under her door or put it under her pillow?

Luminous
February 25th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Sorry if this isn't expert advice but nobody has replied since november and I think there is only 1 more day left before nobody can reply so lets try get something going here. Speaking to people you love about this kind of thing is always an extremely hard thing. It's a sensitive issue and a very personal one but if you feel like you cannot actually say it to your mum then maybe write it down on a piece of paper and post it under her door or put it under her pillow?

Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for 2 months or more. :locked: