PDA

View Full Version : Quick opinions?

bluebreez1
November 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I am writing a, I don't want to say novel per se, but a chapter book.
Here's is a VERY quick summary of the plot.

Earth has an all out nuclear war against the major powers, and 4 billion people die. The remainder of the people set out to colonize space in hopes of finding a new Earth. They land on an Earth-like planet, but an intelligent alien race wars with them.

I realize the cause of the space colonization thing would probably never happen, but let's just say because it's my book it has a possibility of happening.
So, with that short little piece of information, what do you think?
I, personally, would want to read a book like this, but I'm very biased, so I want to hear from everyone else.

Alrighty.

Miserabilia
November 18th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Well, to be honest it's not really original. But if the underlying plot and the characters are good it could be great, so it's really not possible to tell from this.

bluebreez1
November 18th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Let me go a little more in depth then.

The story practically focuses on two people, a man named Jason and a woman named Christina. They evidently meet a little bit later after an attack and fall in love. The story focuses on how the war messes with a solid relationship, and how deep one person would go to defend everyone they care about at the expense of another.

CosmicNoodle
November 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Not gonna lie, an extremely generic and overused plot, find something else.

Uranus
November 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I know I sound like a dick but I agree with my friend, Joe.

I'm not saying your bad. But you have the skills to make some very good work! Good luck man

Typhlosion
November 19th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Just because something has been done a hundred times should not be an indicator to not do it; au contraire, it's an indicator of a successful and working idea. There are thousands of comic book characters yet everyone wants to puch out more, and that's not a bad thing.

That said, if you're able to draw strong parallels to the contemporary world and alien war, the novel could be a good read.

Babs
November 20th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I think you need to find a way to make it more unique, and then you have a very interesting story. Find a little something-something to set it apart, and use that thing as a hook to pull the reader in.
Just make it as unique as possible. Unique names (without using pretentious ones), unique hook, unique characters.
Another thing that will set your book apart is the unique characters. Don't make them one-sided, don't make them all look the same, don't make them all either perfect or evil.
Something I like to do is give each character 3 positive personality traits, 3 negative ones, and 1 or 2 random quirks. You can probably find generators for these online.
While romance can add interesting dimensions for the story, don't take a good plot and make it all about romance. I recommend letting that be a subplot, because taking a good story with depth and meaning and turning it into a love story can quickly turn your book into a great and exciting read to another boring, typical one.

SethfromMI
November 20th, 2014, 08:36 PM
as many has said, it has been done or very similar things. need to find ways to make it more unique. also characters. my fav part of a book is often the characters. good characters can sometimes help make up if the story is not a good

Hudor
November 21st, 2014, 05:06 AM
I think you need to find a way to make it more unique, and then you have a very interesting story. Find a little something-something to set it apart, and use that thing as a hook to pull the reader in.
Just make it as unique as possible. Unique names (without using pretentious ones), unique hook, unique characters.
Another thing that will set your book apart is the unique characters. Don't make them one-sided, don't make them all look the same, don't make them all either perfect or evil.
Something I like to do is give each character 3 positive personality traits, 3 negative ones, and 1 or 2 random quirks. You can probably find generators for these online.
While romance can add interesting dimensions for the story, don't take a good plot and make it all about romance. I recommend letting that be a subplot, because taking a good story with depth and meaning and turning it into a love story can quickly turn your book into a great and exciting read to another boring, typical one.

This is excellent advice. I couldn't have phrased it better.

NeuroTiger
November 23rd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Ill be eager to read it when its done.

Batman42
November 28th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I think it sounds really good