PDA

View Full Version : Can you have both GAD and OCD?

Kotokochan
November 14th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I've been diagnosed with GAD, but I also have noticed I have symptoms that are like OCD (rituals and obsessions.) Can you have both, or do I have one or the other?

ksdnfkfr
November 14th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Yes you can have both. It's called comorbidity. Your ocd type rituals could possably be a coping mechanism for your gad....or not. I have a bunch of comorbid conditions. Some play off each other and some don't.

ImCoolBeans
November 14th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Yes you can have both. It's called comorbidity. Your ocd type rituals could possably be a coping mechanism for your gad....or not. I have a bunch of comorbid conditions. Some play off each other and some don't.

Ezra is exactly right. It could be a coping mechanism for your GAD -- ritualistic/obsessive behavior is a common symptom of anxiety -- and OCD is another anxiety disorder that is co-morbid with GAD. I would bring it up to your psychologist if you're concerned about it.

Gigablue
November 14th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Not only can you have both, if you have one, you're more likely to have the other. I have been diagnosed with both. You should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Since there are similarities between the disorders, they have similar treatments. However, there are key differences that could be relevant to getting treated properly.

Karkat
November 14th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Agree with everyone above. I'm diagnosed with GAD, and I've been told I am heavily symptomatic of OCD. Actually, I have pretty much every major type of anxiety, to some degree.

GAD sufferers tend to get anxiety over anything and everything, so it's very common to have comorbid anxiety disorders.

Kotokochan
November 14th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! :)

slopestyle
November 14th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Although I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, I know I have ocd traits for sure and have be diagnosed with GAD. I think my OCD traits actually help me deal with my anxiety at times, but it also goes the other way occasionally :whoops: