PDA

View Full Version : Car or Bike?

CosmicNoodle
November 8th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I'm wondering how common each is, in my group of friends, 3 have cars and 3 have motorcycles, 50/50, so completely even. Just wondering what it's like with others, I want to gauge what the normal population of out age drives.

Do you drive a Motorcycle or Car?

Abyssal Echo
November 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I voted for car. I drive a pick up truck

Captain Canada
November 8th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Don't have either but I'm planning on getting a motorcycle, I don't care for cars

Melodic
November 9th, 2014, 03:52 AM
I'd never be able to ride a motorcycle all the time with the winter up here. I'd prefer to have a car.

Daniella98
November 9th, 2014, 03:57 AM
I like cars more. Cause I live in a rainy country and you can transport more than several people and your shopping

Plane And Simple
November 9th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Motorcycle. I don't drive yet but it's the first and only thing I'll have until I'm around 25

samii
November 9th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Car
I would like to drive car

HeWhoTravelsTheWorld
November 9th, 2014, 05:11 AM
i want a car. cars are safer in my opinion.

James Dean
November 9th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I would prefer a car. Motorcycles are hard to control and drive. Plus I'm not that macho or cool to be able to own and accept one.

HockeyLovesMe
November 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
when I drive will be a car

Uranus
November 9th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I would drive a car. More power, faster, quicker, luxurious(Not an illusion :D), and simply because the kinds I like are badass.

Of course certain bikes I may like...but I'm picky there

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I would drive a car. More power, faster, quicker, luxurious(Not an illusion :D), and simply because the kinds I like are badass.

Of course certain bikes I may like...but I'm picky there

Faster? Bullshit, if you take a normal car, which is what you will drive, sorry dude but you're never going to own a Ferrari or a Lambo (prove me wrong), you'll drive something like a Honda Civic or a Toyota Hylux. A new Civic in UK moneys costs 21,455, a brand new BMW S100RR costs 13,000 (About, may cost more or less, but I'm sure it's about that). The S100RR has a top end of 200MPH+. For NORMAL people, bikes are faster, the only way a car will be faster is if you have millions to spend.

For a rich mother fucker, which you are not, a car is much faster. But for a normal person, a Bike is MUCH faster.

rioo
November 9th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I can ride moto since I was 16, I have license for limited. But I prefer car off course, but it depend on ur city. I've seen high school boys drive car to school. oh rich boy.

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I can ride moto since I was 16, I have license for limited. But I prefer car off course, but it depend on ur city. I've seen high school boys drive car to school. oh rich boy.

There's a guy in my college how drives this:
http://www.benzinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/216.jpg

Spoiled rich boy alert!

SethfromMI
November 9th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I got a truck. I understand the appeal of a motor cycle, but there I am at, it would be impractical for a good portion of the year. plus, if I am in an accident, I feel I would have a better chance at coming out in my truck. I saw a few very nasty motor cycle accidents...it was not pretty.

like I said though, I get the appeal for a motorcycle or whatever

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I got a truck. I understand the appeal of a motor cycle, but there I am at, it would be impractical for a good portion of the year. plus, if I am in an accident, I feel I would have a better chance at coming out in my truck. I saw a few very nasty motor cycle accidents...it was not pretty.

like I said though, I get the appeal for a motorcycle or whatever

Admittedly yes, motorcycles are a LOT more dangerous, but you are kind of talking from a point of ignorance, if you ever get the change to ride one, do so, you, like many people may very well find that the amount of fun and joy that can be found in them easily outweighs the danger. Most people don't commute on them, doing so is inconvenient and often unpleasant, most bikers will own a car and a bike. In my opinions thats the optimum set up to have, car when its cold, wet, dangerous ect ect. But a bike for weekend fun.

SethfromMI
November 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Admittedly yes, motorcycles are a LOT more dangerous, but you are kind of talking from a point of ignorance, if you ever get the change to ride one, do so, you, like many people may very well find that the amount of fun and joy that can be found in them easily outweighs the danger. Most people don't commute on them, doing so is inconvenient and often unpleasant, most bikers will own a car and a bike. In my opinions thats the optimum set up to have, car when its cold, wet, dangerous ect ect. But a bike for weekend fun.

watching people get killed in a motor cycle is a point of ignorance? really? silly me, watching people die in a motor cycle accident gives me no real knowledge about bikes or anything like that. thanks for the enlightenment. :rolleyes:

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 10:08 AM
watching people get killed in a motor cycle is a point of ignorance? really? silly me, watching people die in a motor cycle accident gives me no real knowledge about bikes or anything like that. thanks for the enlightenment. :rolleyes:

No, what I mean by that is you have yet to experience the joy that can be brought by riding one, I didn't deny that they where dangerous machines. Your at a point of ignorance because you only understand half of what your talking about here. No need to be bitchy.

Uranus
November 9th, 2014, 10:11 AM
You make a fair point :)

(prove me wrong)

I'll take that challenge. ;)

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 10:13 AM
You make a fair point :)

I'll take that challenge. ;)

Good, I expect to see you bigger than Snoop Dog in 20 years, GO! (seriously, I hope you prove me wrong)

Uranus
November 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Good, I expect to see you bigger than Snoop Dog in 20 years, GO! (seriously, I hope you prove me wrong)

20 yrs? I'll be 35..hmm deal!
I can do it. And I'm doing it for more than myself.
And with the resources I have..i can do it.
You'll see, Joe.

Lost in the Echo
November 9th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I don't drive yet, but motorcycles do look cool as fuck, I just don't ever imagine myself riding one, so I'd go with a car.

nascar_alex
November 9th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I am a car person. Personally I feel Motorcycles are unsafe. And many drivers don't give motorcycles room when driving.

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Everyone is condemning motorcycles without understanding how much fun they are :/

Captain Canada
November 9th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Everyone is condemning motorcycles without understanding how much fun they are :/

Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised how many people are going with cars. My uncle used to take us dirt bike riding when we were younger (10ish or so, possibly younger) and those were definitely some of the best moments I've had. Yes, motorcycles are extremely dangerous (my dad still has pavement in his skin from crashing his motorcycle) but any machine can be dangerous, especially cars. Okay, you can crash a motorcycle, but you can also crash a car and have the glass cut into your skin deeply, break your neck with the airbag (if it has one), you could be crushed under it, etc. So overall, both are dangerous so it isn't really a valid argument :p

CosmicNoodle
November 9th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised how many people are going with cars. My uncle used to take us dirt bike riding when we were younger (10ish or so, possibly younger) and those were definitely some of the best moments I've had. Yes, motorcycles are extremely dangerous (my dad still has pavement in his skin from crashing his motorcycle) but any machine can be dangerous, especially cars. Okay, you can crash a motorcycle, but you can also crash a car and have the glass cut into your skin deeply, break your neck with the airbag (if it has one), you could be crushed under it, etc. So overall, both are dangerous so it isn't really a valid argument :p

At least on a bike you are thrown clear of the red hot raging ball of hurtling steel and plastic, in a car your trapped inside. I've come to dislike being in cars, they make me feel trapped.

I fucked my knee up in a bike crash when I was younger, I torn my muscle and twisted it at a funny angle so the tendon in my leg did a thing that the doctors explained but I didn't understand at the time. And recently I came off again and torn it again. So I made my already noticeable limp worse :P But I don't care, the only way I'll ever own 4 wheels is if I have 2 bikes!

Captain Canada
November 9th, 2014, 10:16 PM
so the tendon in my leg did a thing
Nice explanation :P But I see what you mean when you say you feel trapped when I'm a car. If something wrong happens, your stuck, screwed, trapped, and overall fucked over. Glad to hear your still riding motorcycles even after those injuries though :D

CosmicNoodle
November 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Nice explanation :P But I see what you mean when you say you feel trapped when I'm a car. If something wrong happens, your stuck, screwed, trapped, and overall fucked over. Glad to hear your still riding motorcycles even after those injuries though :D

They wil never break me! Biking forever, viva la revolucion! Rise my biker brothers, overthrow the road hogging menaces! Take back the green lanes, start up the two strokes! Let's the blood, oil and petrol run on the streets! Mwahahahahaha!!! ....wait...got varied away there :P

Captain Canada
November 10th, 2014, 03:11 PM
They wil never break me! Biking forever, viva la revolucion! Rise my biker brothers, overthrow the road hogging menaces! Take back the green lanes, start up the two strokes! Let's the blood, oil and petrol run on the streets! Mwahahahahaha!!! ....wait...got varied away there :P

XD we'll ride our Harley's through the streets and terrorise all those who have cars! (Even though I really dislike Harley's lol) We'll stop at diners and beat the crap out of all those car drivers with pool cues! We shall rule the streets! ...carried away too?

Cognizant
November 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I'd consider getting a bike later on in life, but I drive (and prefer) a car, even with the incentive of being able to lane split on Highway 101 during rush hour :P

sebastianb
November 19th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Car!

Michael75
December 7th, 2014, 06:35 PM

I agree :') I was brought up with bikes! Theres a picture of me when I'm one on the front of a Honda CB750 with my dad! I ride off-road now and in ireland, you can't get a 125 until your 17, so have to wait 3 years for a road bike :( my dad still rides and I go pillion with him every weekend. I love it! I have his road bikes out once a week to clean them, but I have to take them down the road to "dry them off" ;) hahah

Hideous
December 7th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Bike :)

CosmicNoodle
December 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I agree :') I was brought up with bikes! Theres a picture of me when I'm one on the front of a Honda CB750 with my dad! I ride off-road now and in ireland, you can't get a 125 until your 17, so have to wait 3 years for a road bike :( my dad still rides and I go pillion with him every weekend. I love it! I have his road bikes out once a week to clean them, but I have to take them down the road to "dry them off" ;) hahah

I'm trying to get back into dirt riding, but there simply aren't any places within riding distance off me that let you ride for a reasonable price. And the only place that used to let us ride, the police cracked down on us and we can't go there any more, because you know, it's better for teens on loud dirt bikes to hang around in towns and at home than in the countryside miles from anyone having fun.

Michael75
December 7th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I'm trying to get back into dirt riding, but there simply aren't any places within riding distance off me that let you ride for a reasonable price. And the only place that used to let us ride, the police cracked down on us and we can't go there any more, because you know, it's better for teens on loud dirt bikes to hang around in towns and at home than in the countryside miles from anyone having fun.

lucky enough, theres a track literally 30 secs away, and its ireland, and the country-side, so theres looads of fields i can rip up for some poor farmer :')
theres another unoffical track up behind my uncles, and 5mins away. Handy enough :)

CosmicNoodle
December 7th, 2014, 08:15 PM
lucky enough, theres a track literally 30 secs away, and its ireland, and the country-side, so theres looads of fields i can rip up for some poor farmer :')
theres another unoffical track up behind my uncles, and 5mins away. Handy enough :)

There's SHIT TONES of fields near me that me and my "bike friends" used to rip up, but one time we ended up getting arrested... They let us go and told us not to go on the fields any more, that left us with the local Quarry, then someone bought that and closed it, leaving us with no where. I was 15 at the time and used to have a Honda (obviously, they are bullet proof) CRF 250 from 2003 (great bike).

After that, closest place was 50 miles, to far to ride on a none road legal bike, so I had to use a van to get it there, so I used it less and less, eventually I just sold it and didn't ride again until I was 17

Michael75
December 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM
There's SHIT TONES of fields near me that me and my "bike friends" used to rip up, but one time we ended up getting arrested... They let us go and told us not to go on the fields any more, that left us with the local Quarry, then someone bought that and closed it, leaving us with no where. I was 15 at the time and used to have a Honda (obviously, they are bullet proof) CRF 250 from 2003 (great bike).

After that, closest place was 50 miles, to far to ride on a none road legal bike, so I had to use a van to get it there, so I used it less and less, eventually I just sold it and didn't ride again until I was 17

i love Honda! I ride a CR125, lovely machine. I think I've only been caught once, but there was a gap in the hedge out onto the road - so i just fucking went for it! Ironically enough, the field is directly across from my house, so i had to wait for half an hour before i could even go back down my road lmao :')

CosmicNoodle
December 7th, 2014, 08:36 PM
i love Honda! I ride a CR125, lovely machine. I think I've only been caught once, but there was a gap in the hedge out onto the road - so i just fucking went for it! Ironically enough, the field is directly across from my house, so i had to wait for half an hour before i could even go back down my road lmao :')

Basically your bike is 2 down from mine then, one in size and 1 in model, question, does the 125 version pull power wheelies? My 250 does, if you open the throttle it can easily flip over, I'm thinking about a 125 for my next off roader if I get back into to and I'm not sure about power.

We got caught because the farmer called the police, and when they got there we ran, if we hadn't they wouldn't have arrested us (apparently). Was in the station for 30 mins whilst they tried to figure out what they could charge us with (pigs)

Michael75
December 7th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Basically your bike is 2 down from mine then, one in size and 1 in model, question, does the 125 version pull power wheelies? My 250 does, if you open the throttle it can easily flip over, I'm thinking about a 125 for my next off roader if I get back into to and I'm not sure about power.

We got caught because the farmer called the police, and when they got there we ran, if we hadn't they wouldn't have arrested us (apparently). Was in the station for 30 mins whilst they tried to figure out what they could charge us with (pigs)

if you sit way back, and maybe hit the front tyre off a wee bump, im sure you could manage it! Even if that farmer had of called the police, it would of taken them an hour to get here, even though the barracks is about 10mins away. the farmers awful civil though, he took me for a spin in his combine harvester one day when i was younger :D i dont think he knew it was me riping up his field though. he only uses it for cattle, so i dont see why he was pissed.

CosmicNoodle
December 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM
if you sit way back, and maybe hit the front tyre off a wee bump, im sure you could manage it! Even if that farmer had of called the police, it would of taken them an hour to get here, even though the barracks is about 10mins away. the farmers awful civil though, he took me for a spin in his combine harvester one day when i was younger :D i dont think he knew it was me riping up his field though. he only uses it for cattle, so i dont see why he was pissed.

If the farmer used the field, fair play to him, but the field was unused! It just sat empty, not even used for Animals! Old prude.

(I think we should move to VM, we're not allowed to get too far off topic, the mods don't like us breaking there (in this case stupid) rules)

Michael75
December 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM
If the farmer used the field, fair play to him, but the field was unused! It just sat empty, not even used for Animals! Old prude.

(I think we should move to VM, we're not allowed to get too far off topic, the mods don't like us breaking there (in this case stupid) rules)

VM? lmao i dont even know what that is...

CosmicNoodle
December 7th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Go to my profile page, and it will have a big box where you can send me a message, if you want to continue go to that, otherwise the mods are liable to shout.

Remey
December 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I drive a car

mrmee
December 16th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I have a truck and my neighbor lets me use his harley whenever i want cuz he cant run it anymore. Plus i have 2 dirt bikes. I still prefer the feeling of being able to go faster than the bikes and have a giant steel cushion in front of me. (For a $5000 price range, you CANNOT find a bike that goes faster than my pickup

CosmicNoodle
December 17th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I have a truck and my neighbor lets me use his harley whenever i want cuz he cant run it anymore. Plus i have 2 dirt bikes. I still prefer the feeling of being able to go faster than the bikes and have a giant steel cushion in front of me. (For a $5000 price range, you CANNOT find a bike that goes faster than my pickup)

Which truck is this, because i'd bet my left nut that the Suzuki Hayabusa for sale near me for less than that can beat you'r pick up truck, unless your truck is a 220mph+ truck.

Also, it's annoying me, you forgot to close your brackets, I'll edit it in to your answer.

Michael75
December 18th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I have a truck and my neighbor lets me use his harley whenever i want cuz he cant run it anymore. Plus i have 2 dirt bikes. I still prefer the feeling of being able to go faster than the bikes and have a giant steel cushion in front of me. (For a $5000 price range, you CANNOT find a bike that goes faster than my pickup

Yeah I agree with Cosmicnoodle, theres a Hayabusa for sale near me less than 5 grand. These do in around 200mph. Maybe more. Even the average 1000 will do 150mph easily. Not Harleys though, for big displacements these have a suprisingly low top speed.

eli_w
December 20th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Car.

mrmee
December 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Which truck is this, because i'd bet my left nut that the Suzuki Hayabusa for sale near me for less than that can beat you'r pick up truck, unless your truck is a 220mph+ truck.

Also, it's annoying me, you forgot to close your brackets, I'll edit it in to your answer.

Yeah I agree with Cosmicnoodle, theres a Hayabusa for sale near me less than 5 grand. These do in around 200mph. Maybe more. Even the average 1000 will do 150mph easily. Not Harleys though, for big displacements these have a suprisingly low top speed.

1984 Chevy C20 Scottsdale
With a junk yard and a little luck, the possibilities are endless.
I don't know the actual top speed, but it has easily maxed out a 180mph speedometer.

CosmicNoodle
December 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM
1984 Chevy C20 Scottsdale
With a junk yard and a little luck, the possibilities are endless.
I don't know the actual top speed, but it has easily maxed out a 180mph speedometer.

OK, if your allowed to mod out the Chexy to increase the top speed to beat the Suzuki, I'm allowed to mod the Suzuki as well, there is no truck, that can beat a Hyabusa.

For the 1975 model year, the 185 hp 400 cu in (6.6 L) small-block V-8 was added to the line and there was a realignment of Chevy trim levels

Source:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_C/K#Third_generation_1973.E2.80.931987
There is a big difference between 185 and 220.
(The same middle quoted was in production until 1987, so that's for the exact model you quoted)

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a downer on the truck, great vehicles, so many used, in fact I am a big fan of the Chevy C20 Scottsdale, but your claim that I can't get a bike fast than your truck is utter bullshit, I even managed to find one within the equivelant price ranger that is a MUCH faster machine.
The reason your claim is bullshit is because MOST trucks are designed to have low top speed, but extremely high torque, I say most, because the truck you mentioned is so ewhat unusual in this sense.

TheLoneWolf
December 20th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Not allowed to drive yet (have to be 18) but I love riding a bike.
I'm terrified of driving so I'll probably never get my drivers license...

Karkat
December 20th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I've got a car, so that's what I checked, but I'm planning on getting a bike as well

CosmicNoodle
December 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I've got a car, so that's what I checked, but I'm planning on getting a bike as well

Bike grrrll :) they are far with little in between, for some reason biking seems to be a guy thing, so I really like it when I see women and girls express and interest in bikes.

Karkat
December 20th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Bike grrrll :) they are far with little in between, for some reason biking seems to be a guy thing, so I really like it when I see women and girls express and interest in bikes.

Haha :P

Yeah, I've always had a thing for bikes.

matt_tgr
December 21st, 2014, 07:53 PM
Can't drive just yet, but already started looking at some cars to buy!

eli_w
December 26th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Motorcycle if you're single and don't have a lot of money for gas. Got a buddy in that situation and he spends like 6-10 bucks on gas a week lol

mrmee
December 26th, 2014, 11:57 PM
OK, if your allowed to mod out the Chexy to increase the top speed to beat the Suzuki, I'm allowed to mod the Suzuki as well, there is no truck, that can beat a Hyabusa.

Source:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_C/K#Third_generation_1973.E2.80.931987
There is a big difference between 185 and 220.
(The same middle quoted was in production until 1987, so that's for the exact model you quoted)

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a downer on the truck, great vehicles, so many used, in fact I am a big fan of the Chevy C20 Scottsdale, but your claim that I can't get a bike fast than your truck is utter bullshit, I even managed to find one within the equivelant price ranger that is a MUCH faster machine.
The reason your claim is bullshit is because MOST trucks are designed to have low top speed, but extremely high torque, I say most, because the truck you mentioned is so ewhat unusual in this sense.
How can you find something faster when the top speed for mine is unknown? That just doesn't make sense. My claim was that my truck will outrun any CHEAP bike you can come up with. The only reason they have power and no speed is the transmission. Slap one up there that's geared up and it's a really heavy stock-car.

CosmicNoodle
December 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM
How can you find something faster when the top speed for mine is unknown? That just doesn't make sense. My claim was that my truck will outrun any CHEAP bike you can come up with. The only reason they have power and no speed is the transmission. Slap one up there that's geared up and it's a really heavy stock-car.

The top speed is listed, in multiple places, as 185mph, the top speed is known. And I did uise a cheap bike, it cost 3000, approximately 5000, the price you posted as the limit. So no, your truck won't outrun any cheap bike, not even close.
And like I said, of your allowed to gear up your truck (which will fuck it up) then I'm allowed to add a turbo charger to the Suzuki, (the top speed with this mod is 242mph)

Your argument is poor.

mrmee
December 31st, 2014, 12:38 AM
The top speed is listed, in multiple places, as 185mph, the top speed is known. And I did uise a cheap bike, it cost 3000, approximately 5000, the price you posted as the limit. So no, your truck won't outrun any cheap bike, not even close.
And like I said, of your allowed to gear up your truck (which will fuck it up) then I'm allowed to add a turbo charger to the Suzuki, (the top speed with this mod is 242mph)

Your argument is poor.

Where do you see the top speed for my customized truck? Nowhere. Because I built it myself combining parts that may very well have never been used together and have never tested it. So the top speed is, yes, unknown. What you probably found was the HORSE POWER (hp) for the stock engine, which is long gone. There is a big difference between bhp and mph.
Also, explain to me how changing the gear ratio will do anything other than suck more gas and haul more ass? It doesn't.

Your argument is worse.

Straya
January 1st, 2015, 03:59 AM

Your argument is poor.

im sorry to say but i bought my car and modified the engine for 8500 and it now has a dyno proven top speed of 341kmph and before you start going on about heavy mods they were only an upgraded fuel system and computer retuning and forged pistons inside the motor to handle the higher psi that i have the factory turbo putting out

Straya
January 1st, 2015, 04:01 AM
Where do you see the top speed for my customized truck? Nowhere. Because I built it myself combining parts that may very well have never been used together and have never tested it. So the top speed is, yes, unknown. What you probably found was the HORSE POWER (hp) for the stock engine, which is long gone. There is a big difference between bhp and mph.
Also, explain to me how changing the gear ratio will do anything other than suck more gas and haul more ass? It doesn't.

Your argument is worse.

dont worry about him hes obviously just as clueless about cars as he claims other people are clueless about bikes

kartik
January 1st, 2015, 04:49 AM
Bike is preferred

Plane And Simple
January 1st, 2015, 06:47 AM
This is getting out of hand, and the OP is banned. :locked: