PDA

View Full Version : Longer Signatures?

Uranus
November 7th, 2014, 04:36 PM
So I had an idea. I know there's probably a reason for 550 characters for the signatures. But it seems like not enough at times. Is it possible to have signatures be able to have just a little bit more in them? Just enough so it's not taking up too much space? It's really difficult to have a good signature with the current limit.

CosmicNoodle
November 7th, 2014, 04:55 PM
So I had an idea. I know there's probably a reason for 550 characters for the signatures. But it seems like not enough at times. Is it possible to have signatures be able to have just a little bit more in them? Just enough so it's not taking up too much space? It's really difficult to have a good signature with the current limit.

I think sigs are long enough already. Any longer and they could easily be abused.

Uranus
November 7th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I think sigs are long enough already. Any longer and they could easily be abused.

I suppose you're right.
But.... I would prefer it to be 600 characters, instead of the 550 limit. 50 isn't that much and it would be helpful...it's enough for better sigs, but not enough to be abused. Besides they can be abused even with half the limit. So I think it should be a little more. In my opinion

CosmicNoodle
November 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I suppose you're right.
But.... I would prefer it to be 600 characters, instead of the 550 limit. 50 isn't that much and it would be helpful...it's enough for better sigs, but not enough to be abused. Besides they can be abused even with half the limit. So I think it should be a little more. In my opinion

One thing I often do is to shorten links in your sig, that saves a lot of room and you have 2 links. Try that.

Uranus
November 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM
One thing I often do is to shorten links in your sig, that saves a lot of room and you have 2 links. Try that.

How would I shorten links?
Great idea too! I think that would be better

CosmicNoodle
November 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
How would I shorten links?
Great idea too! I think that would be better

Use a site called Tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/) , you input a URL and it makes it tiny, simple.

Uranus
November 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Use a site called Tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/) , you input a URL and it makes it tiny, simple.

Thx! I'll try that!!!!

Elysium
November 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the maximum amount of characters permitted in your signature increases as a post count milestone. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.

xXl0sth0peXx
November 8th, 2014, 10:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the maximum amount of characters permitted in your signature increases as a post count milestone. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.

This is correct. This is the way it works:

Up until your 2500 post count, it's a 450 character limit, or 550 including any BBCode tags. Once you it that 2500 and your usergroup changes over again, it becomes a 550 limit, with a 650 limit including BBCode tags. There are a couple of other things that change with post count as well, but this is probably the biggest.

I don't think this will change to be honest, it's already fairly high, and too much more gets too sloppy. As said, you can always use a link shortening site for any links (such as bit.ly and tinyurl.com, and that will save you a bunch of characters, especially if you have a lot of links.

DerBear
November 12th, 2014, 07:33 PM
In my opinion signatures are already somewhat too long, some look well...horrible as they've put so much stuff in it.

Karkat
November 12th, 2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks Joe, I hadn't thought of that! :P *quietly lurks back into the darkness*

Charlie48
November 14th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Most people's signatures already take up more space than their actually post, excluding the essay writers on here lol.

hockeyfan
December 21st, 2014, 03:09 PM
Ur signature shouldn't b ur life story.

maniamsmart
December 22nd, 2014, 04:51 AM
This is correct. This is the way it works:

Up until your 2500 post count, it's a 450 character limit, or 550 including any BBCode tags. Once you it that 2500 and your usergroup changes over again, it becomes a 550 limit, with a 650 limit including BBCode tags. There are a couple of other things that change with post count as well, but this is probably the biggest.

I don't think this will change to be honest, it's already fairly high, and too much more gets too sloppy. As said, you can always use a link shortening site for any links (such as bit.ly and tinyurl.com, and that will save you a bunch of characters, especially if you have a lot of links.

I was just about to suggest a link shortening site like tinyurl, use that it works amazingly and saves tons of space in text amount.

NeuroTiger
December 22nd, 2014, 06:57 AM
For some members, its already a lot to read. :P