PDA

View Full Version : Non-Purging Bulimia (the forgotten version)

queenofcontrariety
November 5th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I feel like no one ever sheds light on non-purging bulimia, and I know there has to be other people who fit this classification. For the record I have not gotten an official diagnosis but of those which exist this seems most likely to fit.

The term bulimia for most people means binge and purge, which in most cases it is. But there are people who are stuck in a different cycle, one of binging accompanied with excessive exercise, laxative use, or fasting. The same psychological issues of the traditional binge purge cycle are there, but people aren't as quick to notice it.

I have a history of binging and fasting, it's been going on for probably the last 5 years, and no one has noticed. I'll admit that I am not the thinnest of girls, pretty far from it actually, which is probably why no one ever suspected a thing. What's frustrating to me is that it's never worked, and as soon as I start to do better I balloon and freak out.

I just wanted a chance to spread a little awareness for what everyone seems to forget about and see if anyone else has dealt with this or knows anyone and has a story to share or any advice, thanks guys!

Renata_cmp
November 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
My friend goes exactly through that. He doesn't purge, and he try to exercise and starve himself right after that. He's still overweight though, which led him to a lot of depression and insecurity. Bulimia can have many ugly faces indeed.

Ambrosia
November 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Bulimia is a terrible eating disorder and a lot of people will do all that you listed with the disorder. I personally suffered for years from it. I would binge, throw up, not eat the next day but work out until it made me sick. Its no fun. Bad ideas.

Karkat
November 10th, 2014, 01:02 AM
I struggle with bulimic tendencies and binge eating, as well as emotional eating. Technically, excessive exercise as well as laxative and diuretic use still fall under "purging", as far as official terminology is concerned if I remember right, but you're right- people often forget entirely about fasting.