PDA

View Full Version : Quotes That Helped You

Captain Canada
November 3rd, 2014, 08:58 PM
Not sure if this is in the right section or not but basically you post quotes that helped you or relates to a situation you have been in. The quotes can be from anything: Movies, books, celebrities, songs, etc. . And if you want, you can give a brief explanation to why you connect to it/what it means to you.

"Do you believe in fate, Neo?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life."
- The Matrix (movie)

CosmicNoodle
November 3rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
I never really fond quotes helpful, because most of them simply state the bleeding obvious but in a vuagely poetic way. Like saying "live life to the fullest or you'll die before you live", OK, nice quote, good message, but quite obvious to anyone with basic cognatove ability.

So overall no, never found any quotes I found helpful,

Captain Canada
November 3rd, 2014, 11:46 PM
I never really fond quotes helpful, because most of them simply state the bleeding obvious but in a vuagely poetic way. Like saying "live life to the fullest or you'll die before you live", OK, nice quote, good message, but quite obvious to anyone with basic cognatove ability.

So overall no, never found any quotes I found helpful,

I didn't only mean helpful. I also meant quotes that you can relate to a situation you've been in... Sorry, should've made it more clear

Babs
November 4th, 2014, 01:30 AM
I've never had specific quotes that I could relate to, at least not to a large extent, nor ones that were helpful. The one thing that helped me through my shit most was more of a saying than a quote, and that was "take it one day at a time".

Kikkia
November 4th, 2014, 02:34 AM
Funny enough I based my first app that I made on quotes. Mainly uplifiting inspirational qoutes that help me though tough times and I wanted to share them!

LuciferSam
November 6th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I love this quote from "Welcome to Night Vale", but it's a long one, so strap in!

"Thinking back, ladies, looking back, gentlemen, thinking and looking back on my European tour, I feel…a heavy sadness descend upon me.

Of course, it is partly nostalgia — looking back at that younger me, bustling around Europe, having adventures and overcoming obstacles that, at the time, seemed so overwhelming — but now seem like just the building blocks of a harmless story.

But here is the truth of nostalgia: we don’t feel it for who we were, but who we weren’t. We feel it for all the possibilities that were open to us, but that we didn’t take.

Time is like wax, dripping from a candle flame. In the moment, it is molten and falling, with the capability to transform into any shape. Then the moment passes, and the wax hits the table top and solidifies into the shape it will always be. It becomes the past — a solid single record of what happened, still holding in its wild curves and contours the potential of every shape it could have held.

It is impossible — no matter how blessed you are by luck, or the government, or some remote, invisible deity gently steering your life with hands made of moonlight and wind — it is impossible not to feel a little sad, looking at that bit of wax, that bit of the past. It is impossible not to think of all the wild forms that wax now will never take.

The village, glimpsed from a train window — beautiful and impossible and impossibly beautiful on a mountaintop, then you wondered what it would be if you stepped off the moving train and walked up the trail to its quiet streets and lived there for the rest of your life. The beautiful face of that young man from Luftnarp, with his gaping mouth and ashy skin, last seen already half-turned away as you boarded the bus, already turning towards a future without you in it, where this thing between you that seemed so possible now already, and forever, never was.

All variety of lost opportunity spied from the windows of public transportation, really.

It can be overwhelming, this splattered, inert wax recording every turn not taken.

"What’s the point?" you ask.

"Why bother?" you say.

"Oh, Cecil," you cry. "Oh, Cecil.”

But then you remember — I remember — that we are, even now, in another bit of molten wax. We are in a moment that is still falling, still volatile — and we will never be anywhere else. We will always be in that most dangerous, most exciting, most possible time of all: the now. Where we never can know what shape the next moment will take.

Stay tuned next for…well, let’s just find out together, shall we?"

- Welcome to Night Vale, "A Memory of Europe"

queenofcontrariety
November 6th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I mean it isn't really a quote, more of a shortish story but I always found The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman extremely helpful, I've taken the liberty to attach it for those of you who have the time for a pretty good read. It isn't all that uplifting but it helped me put a lot in perspective. Actually now that I think about it, I found it uplifting simply because it related to my own insanity... but if you ever feel like you're plunging into madness this is a really good thing to push you out of it. http://books.google.com/books?id=4XsEAAAAYAAJ&dq=the%20yellow%20wallpaper&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

But I think the best is a quote from my dad, I texted him after I thought I failed a physics test and his response was "Don't cry, only ugly girls cry", there have been plenty of days where I'm on the verge of tears and think about this and can't help but laugh

Kate
November 9th, 2014, 05:36 PM
There's a possibility that my love for Colors of the Wind led to the message subconsciously altering my perspective of the world, but who knows?

JoeDangit
November 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM
"Life is like a video game. If you encounter enemies along the way, you're probably going the right way."

eggy101
November 13th, 2014, 07:38 AM
When all im feeling is alone, quotes and music are all i've got. So I have a massive list. But here are a few:

The people who cry are stronger than the ones who share no love or hope in love at all -Ellis Doba

Everything's okay in the end if it's not okay it's not the end?

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

“If you're not making someone else's life better, then you're wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other lives better.”

Dont waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear. - Paulo Coelho

A strong man is one who feels deeply and loves fiercely. His tears flow just as abundantly as his laughter.
A strong man is both soft and powerful. He is both practical and spiritual.

IN the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived,
and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you. - Buddah

eggy101
November 13th, 2014, 07:45 AM
"Life is like a video game. If you encounter enemies along the way, you're probably going the right way."

I really like this one but don't like looking at people as enemies, ever. People have their problems and they can conflict with me but I try not to look at people as "enemies".

But as a gamer - Love the idea behind it!

Plane And Simple
November 13th, 2014, 09:06 AM
"Believe you can and you're halfway there"

And "What's worth the price is always worth the fight" from If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback

Kotokochan
November 14th, 2014, 05:31 PM
"You will never know what results may come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no result." - Gandhi

Snydergate
November 14th, 2014, 05:41 PM
"We will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal Barca of Carthage (247-183 BC) as he was crossing the Alps with his army.

Charlie48
November 14th, 2014, 05:45 PM
"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten"

:)

Captain Canada
November 15th, 2014, 08:59 AM
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

RickMason
November 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell

"When we read and discuss new ideas, the information is automatically filtered through previous experiences and patterns of associative memory. In many instances, what we end up with is something other than what the designers intended."

"While most agree change is necessary, many limit change if it threatens their advantage; just as on a personal basis, they seek change in others, but not in themselves."
-Jacque Fresco

Those quotes are just example of what helped me understand the society and the world in general.

Uranus
November 18th, 2014, 10:06 AM
"the reason so many people quit, is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they have come"

Saint of Sinners
December 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
-Dylan Thomas

Don't you ever, ever give up without a fight.

TheLoneWolf
December 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton

This one is amazing. I've painted it on my wall :)
The reason it has such big meaning to me is because my now 5 year old brother had cancer. We used to call his cancer 'the dragon'. I found this quote while he was still batteling.
He's all clean now :D

Horatio Nelson
December 9th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Far better is to have a stout heart always and suffer one's share of evils, than to be ever fearing what may happen.

- Herodotus

This really speaks to me because I tend to be a very apprehensive person. Sometimes you just have to go out and do the hard thing.

onewingedangel666
December 9th, 2014, 09:39 PM
"Not all those who wander are lost"

amgb
December 10th, 2014, 09:06 PM
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton

This one is amazing. I've painted it on my wall :)
The reason it has such big meaning to me is because my now 5 year old brother had cancer. We used to call his cancer 'the dragon'. I found this quote while he was still batteling.
He's all clean now :D

That's beautiful..tell your brother that he's such a strong person, I'm really happy for him and you and your family : )

A quote that I found helpful: Don't wait for the right person to come into your life. Make yourself the right person to walk into someone else's life.

Doc. Maestro
January 7th, 2015, 09:47 AM
"Kites fly highest against the wind, not with it"-Winston Churchill
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, some time in your life"-Winston Churchill
"God won't help you, he already gave you the power to do that"
"If you're going through hell, keep going" -Churchill again

Deleted User
January 7th, 2015, 03:27 PM
"And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness."

Dennis98
January 9th, 2015, 12:45 PM
“If you win, you need not have to explain...If you lose, you should not be there to explain!”
― Adolf Hitler

“Do not compare yourself to others. If you do so, you are insulting yourself.”
― Adolf Hitler

“if you want to shine like sun first you have to burn like it.”
― Adolf Hitler

“Think Thousand times before taking a decision But - After taking decison never turn back even if you get Thousand difficulties!!”
― Adolf Hitler

“Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat.”
― Adolf Hitler

"Remember the valiant Iraqi peasant and how he shot down an American Apache with an old weapon."
- Saddam Hussein

"If you're Iraqi , you know me"
-Saddam Hussein

"Tough walnut is weird fruit , it doesn't break , but it breaks teeth"
- Petar II Petrovic Njegos

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
- Joseph Stalin

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
- Joseph Stalin

"You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves."
- Joseph Stalin

Greggity
January 12th, 2015, 12:46 AM
Wat doesnt kill you
Makes you stronger

Trrue facts.

Post edited. Please use the edit button next time~ImagineRepublicCity

David_L2
January 15th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Not sure if this is in the right section or not but basically you post quotes that helped you or relates to a situation you have been in. The quotes can be from anything: Movies, books, celebrities, songs, etc. . And if you want, you can give a brief explanation to why you connect to it/what it means to you.

"Do you believe in fate, Neo?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life."
- The Matrix (movie)

Can't think of a specific quote, but that was awesome :)

glasshearts
January 24th, 2015, 07:13 PM
"The higher you soar, the smaller you appear to those who cannot fly." -Friedrich Nietzsche
"May my enemies live long, so they can watch me prosper."
"You have a lot of options in life, never make giving up one of them." -Austin Carlile
And probably my favorite:
"Hero's get remembered, legends never die." -The Sandlot
The last one isn't really inspirational but I think about it a lot.

Excalibur
January 27th, 2015, 01:55 PM
"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."
-William Purkey

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." -Vince Lombardi

Just a few.

gothy
January 27th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Its in my signature. Marilyn Manson is a fucking genius.

Luedizer4Eva
March 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM
The world sees only what you do. God sees why you do it. - Carson Lueders
Because its so insperational and he's one of ny fave music artists.

Focus on where you want to go not on what you fear - Anthony Robbins
Because one of my fave music artist published it on instagram with a pic of course.

tasminsmith
March 12th, 2015, 01:34 PM
my sig

City Kid
March 21st, 2015, 01:21 PM
“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.” - Vivian Greene
I simply love this quote. I'm always afraid I'm never gonna be completely happy again, like how I was in elementary school. But when I look at this quote I remember that even in dark times like now there are glimpses of happiness, like yesterday when I sat with my father for an hour and we solved a crossword puzzle together. And just like now, when there are glimpses of light in the darkness, there's always gonna be bad stuff happening during the good times, but that's okay. To me, that's what this quote is about.

DylanDanger
March 22nd, 2015, 12:53 AM
" '1mt, 1mt' one more thing, one more time because sometimes the difference between first and second or success and failure is doing one more thing, one more time" - Josh Sundquist, youtube personality and motivational speaker.

Vermilion
March 22nd, 2015, 08:11 AM
" Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Eat33
April 10th, 2015, 05:35 PM
"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

fairmaiden
April 10th, 2015, 05:47 PM
''Everything happens for a reason.''