PDA

View Full Version : Is this mental abuse or am i just overly sensitive?

Alleycat23
October 22nd, 2014, 05:26 PM
I am not to sure if this is mental abuse or if they even know they are driving me mad. My mum constantly repeats herself, she uses my anxiety to make her look like she is stressed (she is at lisburn almost all week) so people will feel sorry for her. She lies and twists our arguements to make me look bad and then tells everyone about HER ordeal. She has actually called me mentally ill to my face twice and then denys it when i confront her. When her boyfriend is here she puts on the act that she really cares and yet is never like that when he leaves. My sister expects me to be her perfect little sister, like watching movies almost everynight, constantly talking about her boyfriend and asking me "do you think hes gonna propose?" When i cant be bothered with playing her perfect little sister she then takes a huff, making me feel horrible. She also takes a huff over so many stupid things and calls me overly sensitive when she take insulting digs in the form of jokes. Finally my dad loves to insinuate that i am stupid and calls me paranoid. He too use jokes to cover up insulting digs like if he asks me where someone is and i say i dont know he comes of with "ha you dont know anything do you?" I have to deal with is all the time and i feel drained. Is this mental abuse and does its sound like they know what they are doing or am i just overly sensitive?

JamesSuperBoy
October 22nd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Im sorry you feel this way. Does your Mum travel everyday or stay in Lisburn to work perhaps some do feel sorry for her but if she is telling others about you then I think that is wrong. I guess your parents are separated or divorced. Maybe you should try and talk with them how you feel.

Alleycat23
October 22nd, 2014, 06:11 PM
my mum goes to lisburn to see her boyfriend and she stays over. My dad and mum arent together but thats not an issue. Thing is i have talked to them but they seem to be oblivious to everything so i have just stopped trying to get through to them but i do appreciate your advice, thank you.

JamesSuperBoy
October 22nd, 2014, 06:20 PM
Ok maybe you could think about just some small steps.
If your sister gets huffy then just let her - you are not responsible for her happiness and lack a crystal ball to see her and boyfriends future.
But if you have stopped trying. why not give it ago at least with your sister.

Alleycat23
October 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
yeah i suppose. Il take a deep breath and give it another go. Thanks.

Karkat
October 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
It sounds like they're a bit emotionally abusive. It could be worse, but they're definitely trying to make you feel bad from what it sounds like.

Imo at very least they sound fairly snobby and selfish.

ImagineRepublicCity
October 22nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Short Answer: Kinda

Well, in all seriousness, not all of it is abusive, some of it sounds like just selfish family members and stuff. The former part of what your mum does can be counted as, but the latter (her putting on a show) isn't really, it's just being an ass. What your sister does; she probably doesn't think it bad. What your dad does, I suppose it could be counted as, but a lot of people do have to do with stuff like this. I think it's because you are being surrounded in a difficult environment that you do find things to hurt you. I'm not sure if you want help, but that's the answer.

Alleycat23
October 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I know it could be worse and i am greatful it isn't but just sometimes it gets stressful. I know we all get like that, im sure you'll understand.

kanyedian
October 23rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Everyone's family is different. I just hope you don't feel inferior or feel like you aren't great as a result of your interaction with your mother. Just remember that you are great and just always try to do the right thing http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/images/smilies/bighug.gif

SethfromMI
October 23rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
possibly a combination of both. it sounds like you are not being treated the way you should, but at the same time with your little sister, you could maybe be more understanding. she is a kid after all.

Alleycat23
October 23rd, 2014, 08:49 PM
my sister is older she is almost 30