PDA

View Full Version : School and anxiety

Imskyfire
October 15th, 2014, 12:21 PM
So I suck in school. I took my PSAT today and I feel like I did really well. But School just isnt working. I have had a history with suicidal thoughts and I have video gaming as my escape. I am really talented at LoL and thats why i play it. It is my replacement to cutting. Im not doing well in school and when i study and try i dont do well either. Ive basically given up and lost hope. I don't want my parents to worry so I want help from other people.

wonderland
October 15th, 2014, 12:58 PM
So I suck in school. I took my PSAT today and I feel like I did really well. But School just isnt working. I have had a history with suicidal thoughts and I have video gaming as my escape. I am really talented at LoL and thats why i play it. It is my replacement to cutting. Im not doing well in school and when i study and try i dont do well either. Ive basically given up and lost hope. I don't want my parents to worry so I want help from other people.

I understand that it's difficult but it might be a good idea to let someone know that you're feeling this way.
If you're struggling with the work then i would recommend talking to to your teacher about it. This way they can provide you with extra support and give you the help you need.
If your suicidal thoughts are frequent then i think it would be a good idea telling your parents. I know you don't want them to worry but it means you can possibly get professional help.

Karkat
October 15th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Have you tried any meditation exercises? Or anything like reading that will calm you down instead of stimulating you? (Video games are great, don't get me wrong- but part of the point of them is anticipation of gain or loss. It is, after all, a game. Idk much about LoL, because I've heard that the community is terrible, but I know that basically every game I play- even if it's casual- gets me excited. And that does NOT help anxiety.)

You can also try talking to someone when you feel that way- we're always here, for one. I know what it feels like to go through anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. You're always free to talk to me if you'd like :)

Descene
October 17th, 2014, 02:43 AM
I thoroughly enjoy and understand the resource gaming can be for coping. A distraction, an escape, a resource for friendship and adventure. It's a great one, as long as it doesn't interfere with other things. And I don't wish to should on you about that because I am sooo bad with prioritizing other things above a game I'm obsessed with. Just something to mention because it can often harm academics.

I would encourage you to reach out to outside resources. If you have trouble with academic performance, look around for resources from your school or in the community. Or if your teachers are pleasant enough people, go to them and explain that you need some help. A good teacher wants to do all in their power to see you succeed. Research study techniques as well. Everyone learns differently and no two students are alike in their learning even though schools aren't equipped for that.