PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked My Car :(

jay_
October 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I was on my way to school yesterday and I was sitting at a light just and I got rear-ended.. I wasn't really paying attention so the hit from behind caused me to let out the clutch and hit the car in front of me :(

The woman tried to blame me because of how young I was but the police officer was very nice and didn't believe her.. she tried saying I rolled back then drove ahead and hit the car in front of me.. the officer said the kind of damage to my car isn't from "rolling back".

I think my car is totaled because of how much damage is done to the rear and the front.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ztvkfl.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/oivghv.png

Horatio Nelson
October 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM
That sucks dude. Hopefully your car is able to be repaired and they don't total it.

unknownuser
October 7th, 2014, 09:57 PM
A car is a car, it can be replaced... at least everyone is ok.

CharlieHorse
October 7th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Does the engine work?
If yes then it's not totalled.
Especially a BMW. Bring her to a shop and they'll buff that shit out till it looks like fresh peaches ;)
Glad you're ok.

allisonmyers
October 7th, 2014, 10:33 PM
glad your ok at least cars can be replaced

PinkFloyd
October 7th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I don't know how this type of thing works, but since you were hit from behind, isn't the lady at fault 100% and that her insurance will cover the damages?

Abyssal Echo
October 7th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear that you're Ok :)
The car can be fixed or replaced

jay_
October 7th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Yes I was 100% not at fault for the accident the woman just thought she could blame me because I was young.

http://i57.tinypic.com/vr67ae.png

It's a 2007 with 120,000 miles so my dad thinks it's totaled :(

Plane And Simple
October 8th, 2014, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't think it's totaled, and if it was my I'd fix it. On the back you just need a new trunk, taillights and bumper, and on the front one headlight and some polishing and straightening. It looks bad but it's not expensive to fix, and it's definitely cheaper than another 328. If you had hit the front like you did on the back then yeah, I wouldn't fix it, because electronics get really picky whenever you hit the front hard and start spitting annoying issues, but seeing it's at the back I'd just say go for it. You got a car that lasts, and 120k is not that many miles on a Bimmer.

That being said, thank god you're ok, there's really nothing you could have done better. Dropping the clutch wouldn't quite hit the guy in front unless the woman came pretty fast and did push your car, so yeah.

IAMWILL
October 8th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Does the engine work?
If yes then it's not totalled.
Especially a BMW. Bring her to a shop and they'll buff that shit out till it looks like fresh peaches ;)
Glad you're ok.

Uhh yea thats not how it works. A car is considered totalled if the insurance declares the repair costs to be a certain percentage of the car's value at the time of the accident. The percentage varies per state. Or if a car is stolen and not found within a few weeks it can be considered a total loss, even if it is recovered.

This one is almost certainly totaled judging by how much damage it took, hopefully you have good insurance.

That woman sounds like a total bitch. Now i'm not advocating revenge/immoral behavior here, but you could claim neck pain from whiplash, if insurance/court accepts it you'll receive a settlement for usually $$$$s.

James Dean
October 8th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Oh, this is why I hate driving. Thank the lord I haven't been in an accident myself yet, I just get so paranoid. Especially on the highways.

Time to call the insurance company though. :(

CosmicNoodle
October 8th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Thats no where near totaled, thats a few dented fenders, provided the subframe isn't damaged or bent it sould be fine once you've replaced them, in the UK we call that "a small dent"

JamesSuperBoy
October 8th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Yes I was 100% not at fault for the accident the woman just thought she could blame me because I was young.

image (http://i57.tinypic.com/vr67ae.png)

It's a 2007 with 120,000 miles so my dad thinks it's totaled :(

Thats good the police sorted it out - hope you can get everything like insurance and such sorted out.

:yes:

mrmee
October 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Insurance will probably total it because BMW parts are expensive. If they do, you get a money for a new one that you can fix the old one with.

This is why crumple zones are a horrible idea. Theyre an excuse for manfacturers to sell more new parts.

jay_
October 8th, 2014, 08:01 PM
As expected the car was totaled this morning.. the adjuster took one look underneath and could tell the frame was bent and didn't go any further.. my dad is a lawyer so there will be a case against her insurance company.. my neck is still killing me :( Now I have to get another car.. my dad buys us a car for graduating so I'm hoping he gives it to me a little bit early.. until then I'm stuck driving my dads old 2002 BMW 745i with a bad transmission lol

IAMWILL
October 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
This is why crumple zones are a horrible idea. Theyre an excuse for manfacturers to sell more new parts.

I'm hoping that was sarcastic. If not, watch some videos of old cars (pre-80ish) being crash tested vs modern cars. Crumple zones are there to severely reduce injury and save lives. Parts and cars are replaceable, lives are not.

mrmee
October 8th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I'm hoping that was sarcastic. If not, watch some videos of old cars (pre-80ish) being crash tested vs modern cars. Crumple zones are there to severely reduce injury and save lives. Parts and cars are replaceable, lives are not.

Crash tested against a 10 foot thick cement wall or somthing that you may actually run into like another car? A huge piece of steel like whats on the front of my '77 pickup will stop a lot more than a strip of plastic or fiberglass. The old bumpers were made to have 0 damage in a 10 mph crash. Then they went to 5, then 3, and now we're at 2mph.

jay_
October 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I'd rather this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNRGvfMiZk
Than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpvCDDtHnKc

PinkFloyd
October 8th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Crash tested against a 10 foot thick cement wall or somthing that you may actually run into like another car? A huge piece of steel like whats on the front of my '77 pickup will stop a lot more than a strip of plastic or fiberglass. The old bumpers were made to have 0 damage in a 10 mph crash. Then they went to 5, then 3, and now we're at 2mph.

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 and I backed into another car going about 5 and there was some scuffing but nothing more.

LifeOfLove
October 12th, 2014, 08:54 PM
A few things stand out to me about this whole thread:
1. Most people don't realize, if you roll backwards and hit somebody, it's more than likely still not your fault. If they stop a legal and safe distance behind you, there should be a few feet that you can roll back before hitting them. If they intrude on that space, it's their fault, not yours.
2. If the adjuster said the frame was bent on a modern sedan, of any type, then he needs some real re-education. He should have actually noted that the frame was in fact MISSING. Yes, that's right, there's no frame on a car like that. It's just a unibody structure. That damage to the rear quarter panel is what totals something like that.
3. Crumple zones. I do agree that in a very low speed impact, I'd rather be in an older steel vehicle. However, there is a few issues that come up with those. They take the impacts HARD, that jostles the occupants around much more. More movement of the people = more injuries.
The crumple zones exist to severely impact the speed and G-forces that the occupants experience. It saves lives. It also destroys many more vehicles in the process, but I'd rather go through the hassle of replacing a car (with money that isn't yours anyway) than dealing with a bunch of broken bones.

My father runs an insurance company, I work right along side him. I know some stuff about this and honestly the whole way a car is deemed totalled is pretty stupid. The one exception is in the event of a stolen vehicle. Unless it is recovered within 72 hours (normally, this varies from company to company) then payment will be issued to the registered owner. Now, if the car is recovered after, say 5 days, there's a slight problem. The payment is being processed for the owner, and now there is this vehicle that comes back into play, usually damaged. It becomes easier to just treat it as a totalled vehicle, where the claim is paid by insurance in the full amount of the vehicle and you can either buy it back, at a price determined by the insurance company, with a marked title which basically just explains that there was a total loss claim at one point in time, or you can go buy something of the same value and the car either gets sold at auction (with a branded title) or sold for scrap value.

Karkat
October 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM

A few things stand out to me about this whole thread:
1. Most people don't realize, if you roll backwards and hit somebody, it's more than likely still not your fault. If they stop a legal and safe distance behind you, there should be a few feet that you can roll back before hitting them. If they intrude on that space, it's their fault, not yours.
2. If the adjuster said the frame was bent on a modern sedan, of any type, then he needs some real re-education. He should have actually noted that the frame was in fact MISSING. Yes, that's right, there's no frame on a car like that. It's just a unibody structure. That damage to the rear quarter panel is what totals something like that.
3. Crumple zones. I do agree that in a very low speed impact, I'd rather be in an older steel vehicle. However, there is a few issues that come up with those. They take the impacts HARD, that jostles the occupants around much more. More movement of the people = more injuries.
The crumple zones exist to severely impact the speed and G-forces that the occupants experience. It saves lives. It also destroys many more vehicles in the process, but I'd rather go through the hassle of replacing a car (with money that isn't yours anyway) than dealing with a bunch of broken bones.

My father runs an insurance company, I work right along side him. I know some stuff about this and honestly the whole way a car is deemed totalled is pretty stupid. The one exception is in the event of a stolen vehicle. Unless it is recovered within 72 hours (normally, this varies from company to company) then payment will be issued to the registered owner. Now, if the car is recovered after, say 5 days, there's a slight problem. The payment is being processed for the owner, and now there is this vehicle that comes back into play, usually damaged. It becomes easier to just treat it as a totalled vehicle, where the claim is paid by insurance in the full amount of the vehicle and you can either buy it back, at a price determined by the insurance company, with a marked title which basically just explains that there was a total loss claim at one point in time, or you can go buy something of the same value and the car either gets sold at auction (with a branded title) or sold for scrap value.

^These.

I'm glad that you're safe. :) It's stupid that she reacted like that.

mrmee
October 13th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Even most newer cars do have unibody construction, there are still a few holdouts of the body on frame construction. Whether or not that bmw is one or not, i dunno.

CrazyPerson101
October 16th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Well that sucks, I hope you do get the New BMW you've been talking about getting though :) good luck

SethfromMI
October 19th, 2014, 10:49 PM
major bummer. it doesn't look totaled though. glad you are ok