PDA

View Full Version : Highway vs. City Miles

Cognizant
October 4th, 2014, 04:30 PM
K, so if you don't know my situation, I'm gonna need to get my own car soon. Now that I have a job, financing a car should be slightly easier.

I found this Lexus ES 300 for only $4,900:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94306&endYear=2015&listingType=used&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&maxPrice=6000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BLEXUS%5BRX300%5B%5DES300%5B%5D%5D%5B%5DTOYOTA%5BCAMRY%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=RX300&makeCode2=TOYOTA&modelCode2=CAMRY&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1996&makeCode1=LEXUS&modelCode3=ES300&makeCode3=LEXUS&searchRadius=50&listingId=378782606&Log=0

It looks really nice, but it has a shocking amount of miles - 250,000 Miles on a 12 year old car! Looking at the Carfax, it's gotten a lot of maintenance done on it, including a new transmission 2 years ago. I don't know if that's a sign that the car will last for a short while, or if the car is prone to failure.

I mean worst case scenario I only have the car for about a year or two until I have the credit to buy something newer and nicer. In addition, it's (obviously) much cheaper than some of the other used car models that I would prefer, such as the Toyota Camry or a Ford Focus. But idk, do you guys think it's worth checking out in person?

JamesSuperBoy
October 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Can you haggle down the price or have someone with you that can =

CosmicNoodle
October 4th, 2014, 05:27 PM
It's extremely hard to tell the condition based on a picture, BUT if it has been looked after mechanically as well as it as been looked after astetically then it should be great.
Go check it out in person, turn the enjine ver a few times, see how it runs, look for obvious rust.

A tell tale, is that the transmision was replaced, thats an EXPENSIVE job, VERY expensive. If the owner was willing to pay out all that cash, he clearly cared about the car. Indicating it was looked after well, most people would just buy a new car when the trans is fucked.

Be warned, if the trans had enough wear to need replacing, the engine may well have been put under a heavy load, meaning it may have some running issues.

Seriously, it's very hard to tell what it's like based on that description, if you like the look, go check it out, see what it's like in person. Generally Lexus makes good cars, they last well, but you don't know how it's been treated,

Persoanlly I don't see why you want to spoend so much on a car, you must be very well off, in the UK you can get aused car for 300, our last car cost us 250 and it was the best car we ever had, comfortable, reliable, drove well, never had any issues, we even turned a proffit when we sold it. You really don't need to spend that much, not in the UK at least.

JamesSuperBoy
October 4th, 2014, 05:35 PM
K, so if you don't know my situation, I'm gonna need to get my own car soon. Now that I have a job, financing a car should be slightly easier.

I found this Lexus ES 300 for only $4,900:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94306&endYear=2015&listingType=used&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&maxPrice=6000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BLEXUS%5BRX300%5B%5DES300%5B%5D%5D%5B%5DTOYOTA%5BCAMRY%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=RX300&makeCode2=TOYOTA&modelCode2=CAMRY&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1996&makeCode1=LEXUS&modelCode3=ES300&makeCode3=LEXUS&searchRadius=50&listingId=378782606&Log=0

It looks really nice, but it has a shocking amount of miles - 250,000 Miles on a 12 year old car! Looking at the Carfax, it's gotten a lot of maintenance done on it, including a new transmission 2 years ago. I don't know if that's a sign that the car will last for a short while, or if the car is prone to failure.

I mean worst case scenario I only have the car for about a year or two until I have the credit to buy something newer and nicer. In addition, it's (obviously) much cheaper than some of the other used car models that I would prefer, such as the Toyota Camry or a Ford Focus. But idk, do you guys think it's worth checking out in person?

when I read the autotrader ad - the cars are either sold or offered at auction!
can you go!

Cognizant
October 4th, 2014, 06:14 PM
A tell tale, is that the transmision was replaced, thats an EXPENSIVE job, VERY expensive. If the owner was willing to pay out all that cash, he clearly cared about the car. Indicating it was looked after well, most people would just buy a new car when the trans is fucked.

Be warned, if the trans had enough wear to need replacing, the engine may well have been put under a heavy load, meaning it may have some running issues.

Persoanlly I don't see why you want to spoend so much on a car, you must be very well off, in the UK you can get aused car for 300, our last car cost us 250 and it was the best car we ever had, comfortable, reliable, drove well, never had any issues, we even turned a proffit when we sold it. You really don't need to spend that much, not in the UK at least.
That's what I'd be worried about. But based on the car fax reports various parts of the engine or the central computer have been serviced, so it was clearly in good hands. I'm guessing that it was a commuter car.

As far as money goes, things are super inflated in the Bay Area. I honestly haven't been able to find any cars that aren't on the brink of dying for less than 3,000. I can afford to do it though; I have $13,000 in my college fund and my first two years of college is only projected to be around $6,000 in total. So I think I would be fine putting $3,000 down and then loaning the other 1500. Plus, it'd give me an opportunity to build credit so I can get something nicer :P

when I read the autotrader ad - the cars are either sold or offered at auction!
can you go!
I'm gonna ask my dad if we can go tomorrow :yes:

mrmee
October 4th, 2014, 06:16 PM
lexus is the luxury version on toyota, so they retain their credablilty for retaining value and have all the fancy crap like heated seats and buttons on the steering wheel. To replace a transmission will never cost more than 5 grand, unless you wind up with some crazy labor bill. My truck had the transmission replaced on it before i got it for $2200. Anyway, your not gonna find that many miles on a car without having major work done to it. If you can afford to be late every now and then, its at least worth taking a look at. If your gonna be driving it long distances, find somthing with lower miles.

CosmicNoodle
October 4th, 2014, 06:18 PM
ZcjpXbMiCtg

Ya know what, screw nice, I want to see you driving a rat rod, you shoud get something insane, something like that ^

JamesSuperBoy
October 4th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I guess you can figure out other costs like insurance and such as well. Hope for the best.

James Dean
October 5th, 2014, 01:04 AM
My dad told me a good trick is to go on the kelly blue book website. If the seller is asking for a higher price than what the kelly blue book says is the value of the car, then it's not worth it. They know it's a rust bucket and want the most for it.

That might seem like a good deal giving the milage. The blue book value for that car is $7000.

I say that's a good deal and if you don't take it, someone else will.

SethfromMI
October 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I read your in the Bay area? things are more expensive there. you have been given some great advice. my only recommendation is to take a mechanic/someone who really knows a lot about cars with you. have them look it over and give you their feedback on it. they can maybe even help lower the price. but if they give their approval, then go for it. still, it is a lot of money for just one year, do consider that if you don't think the car will last longer than a year or so