PDA

View Full Version : Diaries and Moderation

PoseidonX43
October 1st, 2014, 07:24 PM
I have no clue if this would be even possible, but my question is. for the diary owners or some may I add. Could it be possible for them the have or add the permissions to edit others posts to cut out unwanted parts. even though posts don't count in there I think it would be useful.

But on the other hand I can foresee it being abused in other ways. But everything you moderate shows up on a list so, in my opinion it can't really be abused unless someone reports it and or see's it in the diary logs.

ImCoolBeans
October 1st, 2014, 10:21 PM
The reason why we don't allow diary owners/diary mods to edit other peoples' posts is so that they cannot manipulate others' posts to either say things that they want them to say, or to try and get other people in trouble, or to look dumb. Diaries are overseen by administrators and global moderators, in addition to the diary owners, but we don't regularly moderate them because well, there is the rest of the site to worry about, and we don't want to step on your toes, it is your diary after all.

I don't really see many situations where a registered user would need to edit another user's posts. If it contained inappropriate content that broke the broader site rules then it should be handled by the site's staff anyway, not the diary mods.

Uranus
October 13th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I have no clue if this would be even possible, but my question is. for the diary owners or some may I add. Could it be possible for them the have or add the permissions to edit others posts to cut out unwanted parts. even though posts don't count in there I think it would be useful.

But on the other hand I can foresee it being abused in other ways. But everything you moderate shows up on a list so, in my opinion it can't really be abused unless someone reports it and or see's it in the diary logs.

The reason why we don't allow diary owners/diary mods to edit other peoples' posts is so that they cannot manipulate others' posts to either say things that they want them to say, or to try and get other people in trouble, or to look dumb. Diaries are overseen by administrators and global moderators, in addition to the diary owners, but we don't regularly moderate them because well, there is the rest of the site to worry about, and we don't want to step on your toes, it is your diary after all.

I don't really see many situations where a registered user would need to edit another user's posts. If it contained inappropriate content that broke the broader site rules then it should be handled by the site's staff anyway, not the diary mods.

I think what he's tryna say, is not exactly edit posts. But moderate in general.
Like if he posts something and someone acts rude towards his post, he can remove that persons posts and get on with his day. Or be able to block someone, not entirely, but from the diary. Similar to privacy settings. But not be able to actually edit ones post.

Karkat
October 13th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I think what he's tryna say, is not exactly edit posts. But moderate in general.
Like if he posts something and someone acts rude towards his post, he can remove that persons posts and get on with his day. Or be able to block someone, not entirely, but from the diary. Similar to privacy settings. But not be able to actually edit ones post.

Diary owners and mods already have this privilege. I've deleted spam from my diary before.

Uranus
October 13th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Diary owners and mods already have this privilege. I've deleted spam from my diary before.

Ok. Cool! I'm just tryna help this dude. Thanks

DerBear
October 14th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I'd actually like to point out if you see something rude then you should either keep it and report it or delete it and report it (when you delete something, the content is still available to be seen by yourself and the VT Staff)

Its never a good idea to go around moderating as such as anything offensive or rule breaking needs to be reported so warnings/infraction/appropriate action can be taken.