PDA

View Full Version : Non-Java Mobile Chat

lovelycaleb
September 25th, 2014, 01:25 PM
The e-Ink Kindles and all BREW devices can't do Java....Could ya'll just create another forum page and but some HTML code there for like, VT IRC or something?

Deleted User
September 25th, 2014, 01:42 PM
We did have an IRC chat at one point though I can't remember why it was put to the side. I believe it was much harder to moderate and site staff members didn't get automatic moderating power there. I was a chat mod for the longest time even though I was a regular member at the time.

I believe the IRC chat was killed for a reason so I doubt that's coming back.

StoppingTime
September 25th, 2014, 01:47 PM
IRC won't be coming back, and the admins generously continue to pay for the AddonChat, which works very well for out needs. We recently even upgraded to a mobile version which allows even more people to participate, but unfortunately, there's nothing else we can do for this chat. It's based in Java and we can't just "add another page" to encompass the very small percentage of visitors who use the forum on non-Java compatible platforms, unfortunately.

lovelycaleb
September 25th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Well crap.....is there a way to get a HTML interface for the AddonChat

Typhlosion
September 25th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Well crap.....is there a way to get a HTML interface for the AddonChat
Yes!

Here's the link to the mobile site of our chat. It doesn't use Java, and works fine on desktops.

http://client12.addonchat.com/android/chat.php?aid=597181

lovelycaleb
September 25th, 2014, 02:20 PM
thanks man. does that room allow any commands?

btw ur mobile doesnt support BREW devices just FYI

Karkat
September 25th, 2014, 03:40 PM
We did have an IRC chat at one point though I can't remember why it was put to the side. I believe it was much harder to moderate and site staff members didn't get automatic moderating power there. I was a chat mod for the longest time even though I was a regular member at the time.

I believe the IRC chat was killed for a reason so I doubt that's coming back.

If it's anything like mibbit/was mibbit, you have to log a registered user in to your registered username (unless you went without), then log the chat room in, and give yourself moderator status. It's kind of a lengthy process.

Typhlosion
September 25th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Both rooms support very few commands, like /a or /me which prints a message without the username tag ([Typhlosion]), but rather just the username.

[Typhlosion]: Some message
Typhlosion Some message

You could see available commands with /help

StoppingTime
September 25th, 2014, 04:15 PM
As mentioned, both should support the same commands, which can be seen by using /help or looking on the addon chat site

lovelycaleb
September 26th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys...Still kinda irked about no BREW support but oh well...

Elena_
September 29th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Can I use the mobile site? I don't have Java in my computer.
(I've tryed to install it , but I can't - I'm so dumb with that stuff ... )

Typhlosion
September 29th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Can I use the mobile site? I don't have Java in my computer.
(I've tryed to install it , but I can't - I'm so dumb with that stuff ... )
I posted it above, but here it is again.

Yes!

Here's the link to the mobile site of our chat. It doesn't use Java, and works fine on desktops.

http://client12.addonchat.com/android/chat.php?aid=597181

Elena_
September 29th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks !!
Sorry for being so annoying xD