PDA

View Full Version : Social EXP

lovelycaleb
September 25th, 2014, 09:54 AM
So if you saw my introduction post, you would know that I have ADHD and characteristics of Auspergers. One of them is inadequate Social Skills. Specifically these.

1. I can't read facial expressions. I can read the obvious ones that are extreme like "Im having the best day of my life" or "U r annoying me so much I want to play kickball with your face". If it isnt clearly defined, I won't notice.

2. I can't read body language. I talk alot in-person to anyone who is willing to listen. But I can't see the change in body language from "Listening" to "OK im leaving now". People don't want to be rude so they sit there and slowly get pissed off.

3. I don't know social boundaries. I can-t figure out what is socially acceptable and what ISNT until its too late.

Anyone else have the same issues?

Karkat
September 25th, 2014, 03:13 PM
A lot of us are either on the autism spectrum, or share characteristics, so in short, yes. :P

I'm personally wicked terrible at knowing what's socially acceptable. And sometimes, even when I do know, it's hard for me to keep it in mind, and not cross boundaries, or do something other people find abnormal.

Feraligatr
September 25th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I'm also like this. I've read a book called "Curiously Social, Socially Curious", and it really helped me. Although I hate reading, this book has held my attention. Not to mention, I sort of enjoyed it. I would highly recommend this book to anyone on the Autism spectrum because it helps you better understand social situations. I would consider myself much more social now and I have an easier time in social situations.

Typhlosion
September 25th, 2014, 08:14 PM
3. I don't know social boundaries. I can-t figure out what is socially acceptable and what ISNT until its too late. I (mostly) got used to them by staying quiet and observing what each circle does and doesn't. But what really helped were my friends that would point them out in a light tone. They got used to my ways, best people I've known in the world :3

"Curiously Social, Socially Curious"Interesting, I'll try to read it in the weekend.

How is it like?

Feraligatr
September 25th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Interesting, I'll try to read it in the weekend.

How is it like?
It's great. It might be one of my favorite books, and it's quite helpful. My school therapist recommended the book to my friend and I. :)

Luminous
September 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Friends and Family :arrow: Mental Illnesses

ksdnfkfr
September 25th, 2014, 11:48 PM
So if you saw my introduction post, you would know that I have ADHD and characteristics of Auspergers. One of them is inadequate Social Skills. Specifically these.

1. I can't read facial expressions. I can read the obvious ones that are extreme like "Im having the best day of my life" or "U r annoying me so much I want to play kickball with your face". If it isnt clearly defined, I won't notice.

2. I can't read body language. I talk alot in-person to anyone who is willing to listen. But I can't see the change in body language from "Listening" to "OK im leaving now". People don't want to be rude so they sit there and slowly get pissed off.

3. I don't know social boundaries. I can-t figure out what is socially acceptable and what ISNT until its too late.

Anyone else have the same issues?

All of them. I have classic autism and have learned quite a lot about ASD. Let me know if I can be of any help. And as my sig says, follow me on Wrong Planet (http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum3.html&sid=ddeb7f9614a1019c4134a20cb2a90d1f)....it's a great autism/aspergers forum. I'm EzraS there.

lovelycaleb
September 26th, 2014, 12:28 PM
All of them. I have classic autism and have learned quite a lot about ASD. Let me know if I can be of any help. And as my sig says, follow me on Wrong Planet (http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum3.html&sid=ddeb7f9614a1019c4134a20cb2a90d1f)....it's a great autism/aspergers forum. I'm EzraS there.

Ezra, i will totally add you as soon as I can! I hope that alot of VT Members add to this thread over time about their Social experiances and stuff.

CosmicNoodle
September 26th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I'm like that, but I managed to get friends that dpon't have social boundrys, for instance, today we had a game or "randomly gram each others asse's at random times in the day"...not like a small pinch, a full on fondle. So with them I don't really have to follow conventional boundrys.

ksdnfkfr
September 26th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Ezra, i will totally add you as soon as I can! I hope that alot of VT Members add to this thread over time about their Social experiances and stuff.

I completely forgot you said you already know me from WP :whoops: My face blindness carries over to forum members :P

lovelycaleb
September 26th, 2014, 06:52 PM
yep i know you :)