PDA

View Full Version : 300, 351, or 460

Professional Russian
September 18th, 2014, 04:50 PM
So i like my fords...dont judge :P but anyways im buying anther truck and between the 3 engines listed the 4.9L 300 Straight 6, the 5.8L 351 Windsor, and the 7.5L 460. I know they are all great engines. i also know that the last 2 love gas...and i love having the power. I love having power in engines. but anyways which one should i go for more?

CosmicNoodle
September 18th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I'd go for the 460, because fuck it.

Horatio Nelson
September 18th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Yes.

Go big or go home.

mrmee
September 18th, 2014, 10:48 PM
i have a 350 in my truck just becuse its an antique and all factory. If i was ever gonna mess with it, it'd have a 454 (chevy measurements)

Like Zach said, go big or go home.

Professional Russian
September 19th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah but going big requires a lot more money. And I ain't talking gas money. To get the 460 to put out what its supposed to it's needs rebuilt to remove all the smog shit that choked the engine. And well the gas money...I'm going tot ry to put dual 38 gallon tanks on my next truck.....lots of money right there

slopestyle
September 20th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Yeah but going big requires a lot more money. And I ain't talking gas money. To get the 460 to put out what its supposed to it's needs rebuilt to remove all the smog shit that choked the engine. And well the gas money...I'm going tot ry to put dual 38 gallon tanks on my next truck.....lots of money right there

Yesssss this right here. The 460 is insanely choked up. My friend drives his dads mid 90's F250 and it's a total dog, even after adding an intake and exhaust. All the early-mid 90's trucks are really choked up due to smog shit and I think there was a gas crisis in the 80's?

I'd get the 351. Unless you're purposely trying to get a 3/4-1ton truck and want a big block. Otherwise get the small block and have some fun with that. Aftermarket for that engine is I'm assuming affordable and pretty broad

Professional Russian
September 20th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Yesssss this right here. The 460 is insanely choked up. My friend drives his dads mid 90's F250 and it's a total dog, even after adding an intake and exhaust. All the early-mid 90's trucks are really choked up due to smog shit and I think there was a gas crisis in the 80's?

I'd get the 351. Unless you're purposely trying to get a 3/4-1ton truck and want a big block. Otherwise get the small block and have some fun with that. Aftermarket for that engine is I'm assuming affordable and pretty broad

My thing is that I love having power. I love the power of a build 460 but also if I'm going to go 351 I'd want a Cleveland because that's what my dads highboy had.

JacobIN
October 1st, 2014, 08:02 PM
If you want power and fuel econ...get a cummins. Or a powerstroke. Or international. Or diesel.

Diesel.

CharlieHorse
October 1st, 2014, 08:04 PM
458 ^_^

Professional Russian
October 1st, 2014, 08:11 PM
If you want power and fuel econ...get a cummins. Or a powerstroke. Or international. Or diesel.

Diesel.

I swear to god that somewhere I said I don't want a diesel. All they do is cost more. I like my gas engines and I'll stick with my gas engines.

JacobIN
October 10th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I swear to god that somewhere I said I don't want a diesel. All they do is cost more. I like my gas engines and I'll stick with my gas engines.

Yeah they cost a bit more at first...but they last about 500000 miles longer, usually get better fuel econ, and in general are just better.

Professional Russian
October 11th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Yeah they cost a bit more at first...but they last about 500000 miles longer, usually get better fuel econ, and in general are just better.

No they aren't. They're only better of you use them for their intended purpose. Which is pulling. Driveing it around town casually is bad for that engine. That's why I don't buy one. Because it would never get to operating temp. With as far as I go. So a diesels a waste of money. I can as much if not more power out of a gas engine.

JacobIN
October 14th, 2014, 08:59 AM
No they aren't. They're only better of you use them for their intended purpose. Which is pulling. Driveing it around town casually is bad for that engine. That's why I don't buy one. Because it would never get to operating temp. With as far as I go. So a diesels a waste of money. I can as much if not more power out of a gas engine.

No you can't... Diesel literally has more more energy when burned than gas. And it still is more efficient. Please learn about cars and come back when you do. And for the record, most diesels will smoke cars in short drag races, cause they have soooo much more low end torque. gas will win in top speed, but only because they preform better at higher RPM.

Professional Russian
October 14th, 2014, 02:39 PM
No you can't... Diesel literally has more more energy when burned than gas. And it still is more efficient. Please learn about cars and come back when you do. And for the record, most diesels will smoke cars in short drag races, cause they have soooo much more low end torque. gas will win in top speed, but only because they preform better at higher RPM.

You come tell me about cars when you have a diesel pull my gas engine. I've pulled multiple diesels and won every time. For what I want diesel is not the answer.

Capt.Braden
October 14th, 2014, 03:10 PM

I'm not an environmentalist, but THINK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT!

CosmicNoodle
October 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM

I'm not an enviromentalist ether, as you can clearly tell.

Professional Russian
October 14th, 2014, 06:14 PM

No ones gonna remember that time you thought about the environment. They're gonna remember that time when you owned a bad ass truck ;)

JacobIN
October 16th, 2014, 08:51 AM
You come tell me about cars when you have a diesel pull my gas engine. I've pulled multiple diesels and won every time. For what I want diesel is not the answer.

I've seen several diesels pull gas and the other way around too. It depends on how you set up your engine and if you know how to pull. I bet if you got someone who new what they were doing your truck would be being pulled in reverse by him. Stop acting like gassers are king of the road. They aren't. They are the king of the race track.

Professional Russian
October 16th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I've seen several diesels pull gas and the other way around too. It depends on how you set up your engine and if you know how to pull. I bet if you got someone who new what they were doing your truck would be being pulled in reverse by him. Stop acting like gassers are king of the road. They aren't. They are the king of the race track.

I never said they were. Neither are diesels. Now if you would read my post, which you probably read part of it and got pissed off because god forbid I said something bad about the all holy diesel engine, you would have seen that I said For my purpose diesel is not the answer

CosmicNoodle
October 16th, 2014, 09:59 AM
So i like my fords...dont judge :P but anyways im buying anther truck and between the 3 engines listed the 4.9L 300 Straight 6, the 5.8L 351 Windsor, and the 7.5L 460. I know they are all great engines. i also know that the last 2 love gas...and i love having the power. I love having power in engines. but anyways which one should i go for more?

Have you decided what you want to go with yet?

Professional Russian
October 16th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Have you decided what you want to go with yet?

Nope. I like all 3 engines its just that I dont have the money to buy all 3. If I could I would. And finding them an old ford 4 speed is getting hard. I might have to go with 5 speed although I like the 4 speeds better

CosmicNoodle
October 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Nope. I like all 3 engines its just that I dont have the money to buy all 3. If I could I would. And finding them an old ford 4 speed is getting hard. I might have to go with 5 speed although I like the 4 speeds better

What do you prefer about 4 speeds?

Professional Russian
October 16th, 2014, 02:56 PM
What do you prefer about 4 speeds?

They were just a most heavy duty transmission than the newer 5 speeds. The 5 speeds were made for just driving usually. But the 4 speeds were made to work. And its got granny low :D

CosmicNoodle
October 16th, 2014, 03:05 PM
They were just a most heavy duty transmission than the newer 5 speeds. The 5 speeds were made for just driving usually. But the 4 speeds were made to work. And its got granny low :D

Ahhh, someone like having plenty of torque I see. :D

Professional Russian
October 16th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Ahhh, someone like having plenty of torque I see. :D

I like being able to hook up to a trailer and know that when I put it in first and hit the gas it will be pulled. Not have to fight to get it in gear and blow the tranny up

CosmicNoodle
October 16th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I like being able to hook up to a trailer and know that when I put it in first and hit the gas it will be pulled. Not have to fight to get it in gear and blow the tranny up

Reminds me, when I lived on the other side of town I saew a guy in a 2.3L pick up try to pull a big fuck off truck of logs, mistake, he got about 20ft and the trans hoped on the nope train and broke. Really funny.

Professional Russian
October 16th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Reminds me, when I lived on the other side of town I saew a guy in a 2.3L pick up try to pull a big fuck off truck of logs, mistake, he got about 20ft and the trans hoped on the nope train and broke. Really funny.

Exactly. I've done my research for ford, and my parents have always had them. Hell my dad had the best truck Ford ever made. 1975 Ford F250 Highboy. Fucking beautiful truck. I will own one one day. But anyways yeah ford always makes good shit

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Exactly. I've done my research for ford, and my parents have always had them. Hell my dad had the best truck Ford ever made. 1975 Ford F250 Highboy. Fucking beautiful truck. I will own one one day. But anyways yeah ford always makes good shit

Another good thing, not too expensive ether, you can pick up a ford cheap, and the engines are fantastic, (not sure of the engones are made by ford) often the engines will live longer than the rest of the car.
Buy a ford and you really can't go wrong.

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Another good thing, not too expensive ether, you can pick up a ford cheap, and the engines are fantastic, (not sure of the engones are made by ford) often the engines will live longer than the rest of the car.
Buy a ford and you really can't go wrong.

All the engines I look at were ford designs. Hence 460 351 and 300. And the 4 speed was made by ford.

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 04:31 PM
All the engines I look at were ford designs. Hence 460 351 and 300. And the 4 speed was made by ford.

Ahh, they where made by ford, I was wondering if they where simply picked from another manafacturer. I was unsure if they where actually designed and manafactued by ford. I do think the 460 would be the most fun to own, but realistically, the 300 is the better option, honestly, in every day use, and pulling loads and such (Don't say it's not, my uncle reguarly pulls a HEAVY trailer with a 1.1L Vaxhaul Corsa). Honestly, I want to change my vote, the 300 is the option.

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Ahh, they where made by ford, I was wondering if they where simply picked from another manafacturer. I was unsure if they where actually designed and manafactued by ford. I do think the 460 would be the most fun to own, but realistically, the 300 is the better option, honestly, in every day use, and pulling loads and such (Don't say it's not, my uncle reguarly pulls a HEAVY trailer with a 1.1L Vaxhaul Corsa). Honestly, I want to change my vote, the 300 is the option.

I know but I like having a lot of power too

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I know but I like having a lot of power too

To he fair, a 300 has a lot of power.

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 06:08 PM
To he fair, a 300 has a lot of power.

Oh I know it does. For a 4.9l straight six it puts out alot of power. But it will never do what the bigger engines do

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Oh I know it does. For a 4.9l straight six it puts out alot of power. But it will never do what the bigger engines do

But will you ever DO what the bigger engines can?

I feel this situation is pile buying stunt pegs for a motorcycle and riding it on the road...

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 06:18 PM
But will you ever DO what the bigger engines can?

I feel this situation is pile buying stunt pegs for a motorcycle and riding it on the road...

I use the power of a big engine about 1 every month or once every other month. Not often though

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 06:30 PM
And I am 90% sure that the 300 oor the 320 (was that it?) would be enough

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 06:34 PM
And I am 90% sure that the 300 oor the 320 (was that it?) would be enough

Are you looking for 302? And no trust me I know what I pull and a 300 isn't going to pull a 20' equient trailer with a bobcat on it. For what I usually a pull (a little 5'X10') a 300 would be more than enough

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Are you looking for 302? And no trust me I know what I pull and a 300 isn't going to pull a 20' equient trailer with a bobcat on it. For what I usually a pull (a little 5'X10') a 300 would be more than enough

I really do think you under estimate what the engine is capable of, this isn't 1967 anymore, a small (ha, small can't be used in this context) engine can pull. And what the heck sort of stuff do you plan to pull that weighs that much?!

And don't forget about cost, do you want to get 15mpg less just so every now and then you can pull something with more ease.

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I really do think you under estimate what the engine is capable of, this isn't 1967 anymore, a small (ha, small can't be used in this context) engine can pull. And what the heck sort of stuff do you plan to pull that weighs that much?!

And don't forget about cost, do you want to get 15mpg less just so every now and then you can pull something with more ease.

I know how much power it has. And I really do love the engine but its easier to find the bigger ones such as the 351

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I know how much power it has. And I really do love the engine but its easier to find the bigger ones such as the 351

Middle ground may be the best thing to do here. You really can't just buy a BIG fuck off engine, think of the price you'd pay, in both insurance and fuel, I get over 90MPG, and I can barely run that, I have no idea how you could aford to run something that big as it is, BTW, how much power does the 351 have?

Professional Russian
October 17th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Middle ground may be the best thing to do here. You really can't just buy a BIG fuck off engine, think of the price you'd pay, in both insurance and fuel, I get over 90MPG, and I can barely run that, I have no idea how you could aford to run something that big as it is, BTW, how much power does the 351 have?

I work so I have the money to get enough gas to get where I'm going. And which 351? Cleveland, modified, or Windsor?

CosmicNoodle
October 17th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I work so I have the money to get enough gas to get where I'm going. And which 351? Cleveland, modified, or Windsor?

Modified?

Professional Russian
October 18th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Modified?

Yeah since there were apparently some problems with the Cleveland(no one I know ever complained about them) ford made the modified with a few changes.

CosmicNoodle
October 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah since there were apparently some problems with the Cleveland(no one I know ever complained about them) ford made the modified with a few changes.

Well ythen in that case definately go with the modified, don't buy an engine if you know it has issues, even if no one you know has had them. I've heard a fair amount of good about Cleveland (from people I know who use them ) but I've never even heard of Windsor.

Professional Russian
October 18th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Well ythen in that case definately go with the modified, don't buy an engine if you know it has issues, even if no one you know has had them. I've heard a fair amount of good about Cleveland (from people I know who use them ) but I've never even heard of Windsor.
The modified sucked on HP. I'd buy Cleveland over all my dad had a cleveland in his 7 highboy and said he never had a problem with it. hence why id get one

CosmicNoodle
October 18th, 2014, 01:11 PM
The modified sucked on HP. I'd buy Cleveland over all my dad had a cleveland in his 7 highboy and said he never had a problem with it. hence why id get one

Hmm, fair enough, just make sure you know what you're getting into. And was it down a lot on HP, or are we talking 5 or 6?

Have you managed to source one? Or are you just gonna look once you've decided?

Professional Russian
October 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hmm, fair enough, just make sure you know what you're getting into. And was it down a lot on HP, or are we talking 5 or 6?

Have you managed to source one? Or are you just gonna look once you've decided?

i dont decide one engine usually. i look for those 3 and which ever truck i see that i like that looks ill get with which ever of the engines is in it. im not sure about the hp difference